FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My hair hurts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My hair hurts
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, I could tell I was getting sick because my hair hurt - when I brushed my hair, my head would hurt. It isn't a sharp pain. It's more like an extra senstivity, like an old bruise or how your face feels when you're about to break out.

I was sick a few weeks ago for a few weeks, but the congested symptoms have gone away. It's been a month now since I began to be sick then, and I don't have a fever. But still - I get exhausted easily, and my hair hurts. It is all very strange.

Is there something going around? Does anyone else have this?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been laughed at when I said that my hair hurt! I'm so excited to know that it's not unique to my weirdness.

Mine doesn't hurt when I'm getting sick though, just every once in awhile. I hope you aren't getting sick again.

*passes the Nyquil

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair hurts if I've worn it up for too long or slept on it funny so it's "bent".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Hair hurts sometimes, and it is totally possible for bright lights to make someone sneeze.

People should believe me when I tell them things. *glare*

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, hurting hair! Yes! That also happens to me. I wonder why that is? I also used to have kmbboots' problem when I was a kid, but thankfully, that went away as an adult, so now I can do whatever I wanna to my hair without pain.

The bright lights/sneezing stuff always works with me, and my husband doesn't believe me, either, Lissande, that it's for real. What a wiener.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

My mom and I both do it, and my dad always thought we were making it up. Why on earth would you make something like that up???

I guess you don't believe it unless it happens to you. *shrug* [Smile]

kat - I hope it's just a sign that your ponytail was too tight, and not being sick. Feel better!

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
My hair doesn't hurt. On the other hand, whenever I have a high fever my *skin* hurts. Very weird sensation. I went to the doctor once telling her I'm most likely feverish because I have that sensation, and she didn't really believe me and kept asking if I had food alergies, etc. In the end it turned out I was right. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I do that, too. I have gotten up in the middle of the night before to shave my legs because the slight stubble was irritating my skin when it brushed against the sheets. [Frown]

I hope I'm not getting sick, too. My goal is to go to bed at 10:00 pm tonight. I'll report here tomorrow if I make it. It's possible - I just have to pick up Matt at the metro at 9:30, and then I can go straight home and to bed.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the same sensation when I'm getting sick, kat. I feel something similar when another round of hair thinning is about to commence, and a similar-but-slightly-different-from-the-other-two sensation when hair is about to start growing in more thickly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I get it sometimes, and no amount of scalp massage makes it go away. Washing with a good soapy lather at the roots is the only thing that works for me.

I wonder if (at least in my case) the association with being sick is through my decreased likelihood of washing my hair when I feel cruddy.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, Sara, this is off topic, but did you get the last PM (or maybe it was email) that I sent you? The one that talked about the kid I was concerned about?

To be on-topic, when my roots feel like that a thorough washing is fairly unplesant.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I thought about that. I didn't want to wash my hair this morning, but I remember it was Tuesday instead of Wednesday so I had time.

It's lasted too long to be a bug. It's not severe enough to be mono. I feel fine but listless, and I worry that it's because I'm not getting enough exercise. The solution is to get more exercise, but I have to do it in the mornings and many days I have to choose between eight hours of sleep or getting up to exercise.

If I'm getting sick, I don't want to skimp on sleep. Also, I think a lack of sleep contributes to weight gain so losing sleep to exercise wouldn't help me any there, either.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
The bright lights/sneezing stuff always works with me, and my husband doesn't believe me, either, Lissande, that it's for real. What a wiener.

There's an old thread on the other side of the forum that predates your signing up at Hatrack (although I lurked for a couple years before signing up, so you may have seen it). I think it's called photic sneezing or something like that. If I recall correctly, about 25% of people sneeze in response to light. I'm one of them. I tried convincing my wife that it's a medical condition, but she still laughs at me every time I do it. [Cry]

More on topic, the only time my hair hurts is when I've been wearing a hat all day.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Hey, Sara, this is off topic, but did you get the last PM (or maybe it was email) that I sent you? The one that talked about the kid I was concerned about?

To be on-topic, when my roots feel like that a thorough washing is fairly unplesant.

Yeah! I sent back a response.

*going off to check my sent box

---------

Edited to add: Well, I'll be. It isn't there.

*scratches head, goes off to pull back up the info

Noemon, I wrote you back a very long note, and it just ... disappeared. Maybe I shut the computer without sending it, and there was a deletion as it shut itself down? Bizarre. So sorry! Short version coming up.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Strange! Was it a PM or an email? If it was the latter, maybe it got caught in my spam filter or something.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think you sent PM and I (tried at least) sent back PM too.

Rats.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, that sucks; a long message from you is a great thing to receive. I wish that there'd just been a transmission problem, so that you could have just resent it.

The short version will be good too, and helpful.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Indeed. It hurts. But for me, anything else just prolongs the agony. And since my hair is now past waist-length, it really hurts when the roots are sore.

---

PM sent at sakeriver. This was just the 3 best-looking contact numbers for that area. I'll rewrite the rest when I'm away from work and have more time -- have to get back to my other paperwork now.

I can also repost numbers here if you can use them during work hours.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hm. Wonder if a good shampooing would stave off the next round of balding? Somehow I doubt it. [Smile] Next time I get that sensation when I'm getting sick, though, I'll give it a try.

No rush on the rest of the post. I'll be happy to read it when you have time to write it again, but I definitely understand being to busy and stressed to write everything out a second time.

I won't be able to contact my friend until tonight anyway, so no need to repost those numbers. I feel shagrined that I spaced off digging further for them myself, honestly. I just remembered the whole situation this morning.

Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I do that, too. I have gotten up in the middle of the night before to shave my legs because the slight stubble was irritating my skin when it brushed against the sheets. [Frown]

So I'm not alone. But unlike you, I never woke up in the middle of the night to shave my legs. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake - I have never before heard of someone knowing when they are losing hair, through a sensation. How interesting...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

It is, isn't it? Anybody else able to feel it? Or the reverse? When I was younger and just starting to grow hair on my chest it was pretty unpleasant.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also never heard of anything like that.

I'm only peripherally aware that I even have hair, most times. The only times I can feel it is when I wear a hat for too long (as Kate mentioned, it gets bent the wrong way), or when it's really in need of washing.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that make this a bad hair day?

I don't know if I'd have ever described it as my hair hurting, but when I'm coming down with a bad cold or the flu I sometimes do have what I can only describe as hypersensitive nerve endings--like my skin hurts. All of me feels sorta ouchie.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my hair hurt before, too. Almost always when I have a migraine, but also when I've got a fever and feel lousy. I've also had my teeth hurt, too. Not the gums, but the actual teeth.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, you asked if something was going around? There is a very nasty something going around (that I know of) in North Carolina, Massachusetts, Florida + Alaska. It's a gross sort of head-cold-type thing that's mostly just snots and feeling a little less than enegetic. But it likes to hang on and a few of my friends have had nasty coughs to boot. I'm over it now but it took about 2 weeks and from what I hear I got the 'easy version'. Groodie and I hope it stays away.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I had some serious chest and cough problems about a month ago. Got some meds which helped, but it stayed just under the surface for about 2 weeks after it went away.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm coming down with something, before any other symptom manifests, I'll often have a slight ache in the roots of my teeth.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

quote:
I tried convincing my wife that it's a medical condition, but she still laughs at me every time I do it.
I'm telling you, no one believes it unless they have it. It's too weird to credit, I guess. But it's ok - we know the truth. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

I wonder if I have that. I still feel crummy, and I've been coughing again recently. [Frown]
Corwin
Member # 5705

(((kat))) Sending you some European fresh air to keep you healthy. [Wink] Any way you can see a doctor in the near future?
Lissande
Member # 350

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
(((kat))) Sending you some European smoke-filled, asthma-inducing air to keep you healthy. [Wink] Any way you can see a doctor in the near future?

Fixed that for you. [Evil]
Corwin
Member # 5705

I don't smoke.
Lissande
Member # 350

Nor do I, but the air around me is still often polluted. Hope I didn't offend you. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Memo to myself: include smilies when appropriate.

Lissande: [Razz]

Lissande
Member # 350

Just making sure. You Europeans are so touchy sometimes. [Taunt]
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a question I might have missed. Don't you mean my scalp hurts? Hair doesn't have nerves or pain receptors, although they can be attached to them.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
Just making sure. You Europeans are so touchy sometimes. [Taunt]

Great, now I have "U can't touch this" in my head. I thought I'd share. [Evil]
katharina
Member # 827

Occasional: Normally I would ignore your post because you missed the point so completely, but I'm going to explain.

I said what I said precisely because it is slightly absurd. Saying it amuses me because it is something a child would say, and being sick makes me feel like a little kid who wants her mother. It's a literary device and a way of looking at the world, and it is outside the normal mode of conversation enough that if someone does understand what I meant, then that's like a momentary flash of belonging to the same club. It's like discovering someone has your birthday.

I am entirely aware that hair does not have pain receptors, and I'm torn between amused and offended that you thought I did believe that. You should have more respect.

In starting this thread, I wanted to:
1. Get opinions on whether this is a bad sign, for which I needed responses, because I think I might be sick. The title would hopefully get that.

2. Express how I was feeling, which is like a little kid because I'm a terrible patient and all I want is my mother.

3. Create some connections, and the phrase could do that because it's like a code word for people who understand what I meant.

To answer your question, no, I don't mean my scalp hurts. My hair hurts, and I think I'm getting sick. [Smile]

--

Corwin: I went to the nurse here this morning and she thinks I might have bronchitis. I'm going to try and find a doctor soon - I don't have one in D.C. yet and my insurance is complicated. My boss is the one who took me to the nurse, though, and she's being completely understanding. Which is great. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

For what it is worth, we are seeing a nasty little respiratory virus up in British Columbia (West Coast Canada) that is triggering asthma symptoms in susceptible people: chest tightness, wheezing, prolonged and lingering cough (especially at night).

[ October 25, 2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*wards off frantically*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for offending. Just wanted to know exactly what you meant. Guess I am not part of the group this was intended for.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no rule that says a symptom has to be rational or scientifically accurate. Most aren't, when you get right down to it. I love hearing some of the more unusual ones. Although if they can't then sit down and explain the problem in more basic terms I can become very frustrated. [Smile]
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Squoose and I picked up a cough when we were in MN/WI for my Grandmother's funeral. We are coming up on 4 weeks. I finally went to the doctor on Saturday and got antibiotics. I seem to be coughing less. I have taken Squoose to the doctor 3 times in the last two weeks. He has had a fever off and on for those two weeks (not even every day, and I haven't had a fever at all). At the second appt they gave him a prescription for albuterol because the doc could hear some wheezing with the stethoscope. This time (yesterday) they took chest x-rays and gave us a prescription for amoxicillin for him. Hopefully he will be getting better soon.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
There's no rule that says a symptom has to be rational or scientifically accurate. Most aren't, when you get right down to it. I love hearing some of the more unusual ones.

Such as? Now I'm intrugued.
katharina
Member # 827

I'd love to hear them, too. [Smile]

--

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday morning. Whether or not I'm actually sick, I need to anyway so I can get back on birth control. Life is much better for me when I'm on it.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now the one I'm thinking about is "I'm coughing up cold." Maybe this is a common use, but I never came across it till I moved to Indiana. It's usually older patients, especially elderly black women. The want an antibiotic because they are coughing up cold but look at me incredulously when I ask them to explain this.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon:

I know exactly what you are talking about with all 3 of the hair-related sensations.

In addition, when I'm getting sick, I'll have a couple of patches of skin that become sensitive -- seem to be in different places every time.

Of course, since I have sinus issues, I don't need all the other indicators. I can tell how sick I am or about to be and what kind by what's going on with the sinuses.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had patients tell me that they have a cold in various parts of their bodies not ordinarily associated with respiratory symptoms. They usually mean that they have something wrong with it that is bothering them, but not enough where they have to go stay in bed. I've heard about a cold in the back, in the neck, in the shoulder, and in "the privates." Some people complain of localized fever, something that I usually think of as a systemic complaint. They usually mean some kind of localized pain and swelling, such as "a fever in my knee."

Then there are the complaints so vague and mysterious, that I have no idea what they are talking about: "I have a feeling of fresh air in my hair -- what does that mean?" "What does it mean when I sometimes get a feeling of lightness around my shoulders?"

[Dont Know]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I do sometimes get a "feeling of lightness around my shoulders."

I usually attribute it to the fact that I've had pressure on my shoulders, like a child or a backpack, and it's now gone. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.