FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three dimensional puzzle and math

Author Topic: Three dimensional puzzle and math
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to play with a wooden puzzle I have. It consists of the 12 pieces you can make when you'd glue 5 small squares together in every possible way. So you would have a piece like this:

xxxxx

and this:

xxxx
x

and this

xxx
xx

and so on.

Anyway, it is not very hard to put the pieces together in the box again. But you can also make all sorts of three dimensional figures out of it. I used to have a booklet with examples, but I lost it. Now I am trying to make this figure:

bottom: 6 x 6
first floor: 4x4 in the middle of the 6x6
second and third floor: 2x2 in the middle of the 4x4

Well, now the question: I don't succeed, how could you prove mathematically whether it is possible or not to make this figure?

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused: 12 pieces, or 56? [Confused]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Oh...
Because you have mirrors, they don't count [Smile]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

o_O

I see.

Not.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 12 pieces of 5 blocks each, Ic, for a total of 60 blocks.

Base has 36 blocks, first floor has 16 blocks, and the next two floors have 4 blocks each - for a total of 60 blocks.

Each piece has a different configuration of 5 blocks, sort of like Tetris (only with 5 squares instead of 4... Pentris, perhaps?).

He's trying to make a certain configuration of three dimensional pieces (made up of 5 blocks per pice) into a three dimensional tower shape, I think.

If there's a mathematical way to prove it can or can't be done, I don't know what it is. Without the exact configuration of each of the 12 pieces, I don't know if that's even possible.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
(She.)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ginette:
Oh...
Because you have mirrors, they don't count [Smile]

I have to say that I enjoy this answer VERY much!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

[Smile]
Thank you so much, Flying Cow, to help explain. It's exactly right what you are saying.
Except that I am a she indeed [Big Grin]

The configuration of the pieces is:

xxxxx

xxxx
x

xxx
xx

x
xx
_xx

x
xxx
x

_x
xxx
_x

xx
x
xx

xxxx
_x

xx
_xxx

xx
_x
_xx

x
x
xxx

_x
xxx
x

(Edited for lost spaces [Smile] )

Yeah... I thought so Sharpie [Smile]

Hi James! Nice to see you again [Smile]

Are you REALLY going to think about this Icarus [Big Grin] ?

[ October 25, 2006, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: ginette ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The pattern

x
xxx
x

occurs three times in that list.

The pattern

xxxx
x

occurs twice.

Is this a mistake or do you have three replicates of these patterns.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

And there's no (significant) third dimension?

(I dunno, Ginette. It's hard for me to imagine this without something to physically manipulate. [Smile] )

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only come up with ten unique permutations. What are the last two

XXXXX

XXXX
X

XXXX
_X

XXX
XX

XXX
X_X

XXX
X
X

XXX
_X
_X

XX
_X
_XX

XX
_XX
_X

_X
XXX
_X

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
(I dunno, Ginette. It's hard for me to imagine this without something to physically manipulate. [Smile] )

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
And there's no (significant) third dimension?

As I understand it Icarus, Each of the blocks is a cube.

I think to get the 12 permutations you have to add a third dimension

X(2X)X
__X

XX(2X)
X

XX(2X)
___X

where the 2X means that there is a two blocks stacked in the third dimension. But now I'm getting more than 12 permutations.

ginette
Member # 852

Oops. Something gone wrong while typing those figures.
Well, The Rabbit showed the right ones. Then we have this one:

X
XX
_X
_X

and this one:

XX
_XX
__X

to make it twelf

ginette
Member # 852

And the pieces are flat. Just 5 squares glued together in a flat figure.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Pentominoes,
made of joined cubes rather than joined squares,
being put together into 3dimensional patterns rather than laid flat on a plane/table.

[ October 25, 2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Yeah!!!
Thank you so much for the links aspectre! I tried to find them myself ofcourse, but I couldn't find anything, that's why I posted my question here.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

If you allow out of plane arrangements you start getting quite a few more permutations. Such as

XXX
_(2X)

XXX
(2X)

Additionally, I think you get stereoisomers this way which give you even more combinations.

ginette. I need help to figure out which pieces are actually in the puzzle.

Also note that

XXX
XX

and

XX
XX
X

are identical.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks for the edit ginette. That make it clear. No out of plane cubes and two I was missing

are

XX
_XXX

and

X
XX
_XX

ginette
Member # 852

If only I'd have known those things are called Pentominos!
Here is another link Pentomino's They even have a computer program for solving pentomino problems. Hmm.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
(The following is my understanding of a field I don't work in; may contain inaccuracies.) The little blocks are called pentominoes, and are a fairly popular field for amateur mathematicians; however, it is my understanding that it is quite difficult to prove any general results with them, because the tools don't really exist to do so. (And probably won't until someone with some good formal maths training gets annoyed and really takes a full-on swing at it.) All you can do is play around with visualising it, which is fine for constructive solutions but doesn't do so well at proving there are none.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.