FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » gah! I hate math.

Author Topic: gah! I hate math.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on math during high school, and I've done all I could to avoid it. But it found me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

At first I thought (no wait that can't possibly be true) but after looking at the proofs, which even I can comprehend, it has to be true.

I love Political Science because when its true, the world makes more sense. For me, math, when its true, just introduces myriad of situations where the new information SHOULD be useful, but for the life of me I don't know how.

[ October 25, 2006, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. I read that wiki article, then thought, "I love math."
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow . . . a whole wikipedia entry devoted to this simple fact?!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Political Science because when its true it the world makes more sense. For me, math, when its true, just introduces myriad of situations where the new information SHOULD be useful, but for the life of me I don't know how.
This is precisely why people should only be allowed to study political 'science' after they've shown they can handle the real stuff.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
I love Political Science because when its true it the world makes more sense. For me, math, when its true, just introduces myriad of situations where the new information SHOULD be useful, but for the life of me I don't know how.
This is precisely why people should only be allowed to study political 'science' after they've shown they can handle the real stuff.
To be fair, I am GOING to have to revisit math in order to get a degree in political science. Its back to college algebra, pre calc, statistics, and quantative reasoning.

I'm still dreading it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not surprised, given the amount that the opposite statement gets repeated ad nauseum.

I can't count the number of times I've encountered people, online or otherwise, who were ABSOLUTELY convinced that .999... was NOT equal to 1. Sometimes, no amount of proofs I could come up with were sufficient. They would think the proofs I was using were of the 0=1 sort.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:

Well, there's also an entry devoted exclusively to Valentine Wiggin. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Math doesn't like you, either.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like Math, but looking at that link makes me question two things... (don't take them personal)

a) like someone mentioned above, a whole article dedicated to that? come on

b) and worse, someone actually took the time to read all that? ouch [Wall Bash]

Now this link I think is much more worthy of attention. Maybe its because I went to architecture school, maybe its because it was really cool when reading "The Davinci Code"? I don't know, but that one is much more fun to me. [Wink]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
So 0.999 equals 1. Well, I'll be danged!

This would explain why five out of four people have trouble with fractions. And also why there are three types of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
And one plus one equals three for large values of one.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Bush:
So 0.999 equals 1.

That is not what it said. And it's not true, either.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, let me rephrase that then:

So, “in the mathematics of the real numbers, 0.999… is a recurring decimal exactly equal to the number 1. In other words, the symbols "0.999…" and "1" represent the same real number.” Well, I’ll be danged!

(I think someone must have divided by zero in there somewhere.)

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
People who like math might enjoy this . (The funny stuff is in the photos.)

"I wish I was your derivative so I could lie tangent to your curves." lol

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I see the proofs of 0.999...=1 and understand them, but I can't help thinking that 0.999... just can't be 1. I guess I'm not accustomed to conceptualizing a repeating decimal as an infinite series (and an infinite series is a limit, not a sum of an infinite number of numbers---actually, I got used to that pretty quickly after I learned it; I guess a repeating decimal looks too humdrum to me to be a limit).
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Leopold Kronecker

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Math doesn't like you, either.

I approached math with an open mind, it chose to abuse me. When math offers me the olive branch we can negotiate a compromise.

Nobody should ever be in a relationship where their partner absolutely refuses to change in any regard, and the partner insists they are always right. Additionally your partner does nothing but demand you change your thinking until it agrees with their mindset.

Oh wait, thats called marriage [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.