FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guitar Hero II

Author Topic: Guitar Hero II
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone played it yet? Is it better than the first? Are the bass and rhythm guitar options cool? Just curious.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't but my husband wants it for Christmas...I'll be interested to see what others have to say.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I want it NOW...but I don't think it comes out for a few more weeks...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't decide whether to get it for PS2 or wait for the Xbox 360 version.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
There's an XBox 360 version? I thought it was PS2 only...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
There's going to be an Xbox 360 version, but not until next year.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister's thinking of getting it. The play list sounds pretty good.

I could get into jamming out "Iron Man."

"I...am...i...ron...man.<extremely cool riff>"

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

ok, so I jumped the gun a little. It realeses Nov. 7th. I thought it came out this month. But still... I'm erlaly pumped to get my hands on it.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I played the PS2 demo (includes 4 songs), and went to a shindig to watch it played in Beantown, and the coop play is worlds better than 1. Some added stuff to in single player mode. Everything is a little harder per level, and when you screw up the board jumps, the size of the annoyance depends on your multiplier (bigger multiplier = more annoyance).

Plus has Trogdor as an unlockable song.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Iron Man is in the already realsed Guitar Hero 1 Dagonee.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
But not "YYZ"
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for the xbox 360 version. It's gonna be sweet.

TROGDOR!

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
The best unlockable song is not the Trogdor song. It's "Thunderhorse" by Dethklok.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

No, but YYZ is on the demo disk for the Nov. Official Playstation Magazine issue.

-Bok

beatnix19
Member # 5836

I had the game in my hand today. K-mart had them on the shelves. I walked it up, laid it down on the counter and the guy ran it through. I thought I was about to get a head start on my axe grinding skillz but then the stupid comupter flashed that this was not yet released and the guy said he couldn't sell it to me. I asked if he could just look the other way this once and slide it to me anyways. He said even if he wanted to he couldn't because the computer wouldn't allow it to be run through until the 7th. Stupid computer, I was so close.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I know it's a month later, but I just played this for the first time the other day at a friend's house and I had no idea how much fun it was!

The song list is awesome, full of stuff I've never really listened to before. And it's amazingly fun, and has a lot of depth. You can play so many levels, and harder only means more fun, and I love the option to practice at half speed and it singles out parts of the song if you're having a tricky moment. It's a blast, especially playing co-op with someone on rythm or bass.

I'm seriously tempted to buy this game and play it on my brother's PS2. There's no game since the PS2 came out (other than DDR) that I've even been slightly tempted to actually go out and buy for myself. This and Karaoke Revolution are the only two, and GH is amazingly fun, and seems like it could have unending gameplay.

This all to say nothing of the fact that I got immense pleasure out of beating my friend's girlfriend, who apparently plays this game constantly, and we played on hard, and I beat the pants off her [Smile] That was satisfying.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

This game is awesome. I agree. The song list is much better than the original and the cooperative mode is a great addition. It has become a nightly routine for my roomate and I to play at least two or three songs before heading to bed.

I love how everyone looks at you like you are crazy when you try to explain this game to them. Then you sit them down and actually make them play it and they get hooked. I've not shown this to a person yet and not had them get addicted almost immediately.

Bokonon
Member # 480

I find the covers to be better in GH1 than GH2 (more inspired, like the musicians enjoyed it), but more songs are in GH2... GH2 gets lower track list quality because it has Cherry Pie by Warrant (inexcusable) and GH1 has Infected by Bad Religion (one of my favorite punk bands).

I breezed throu GH2 on medium, and am going back to open up some purchases by 5 starring easy. Then I'll trudge through hard, before inevitably being proven to be a mediocre player by not finishing it on Expert.

Co-op rules, btw.

-Bok

Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Bokonon--wrong tactic [Smile] You don't get any cash for doing easy songs in GH2.

I loved GH1, and I love GH2 far more. Plus, it's one of the few games where I'm a competition-caliber player. Only about 8 more songs left to 5 star on Expert!

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the 360 version, but that's only becasue I don't have PS2. I played a demo at my local game store, and it was awesome!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

No, but 2 guitars are only unlocked to buy if you 5-star easy [Smile]

-Bok

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Detroit Tigers relief pitcher Joel Zumaya apparently missed pitching in the playoffs against the Yankees because too much time spent playing Guitar Hero gave him tendinitis.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness Trogdor? I don't know what to do!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm almost through GHII on hard... I actually survived Misirlou on hard!

-Bok

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
As a guitar player, this game sounds interesting. Are my maddd guitarr skillz transferrable into the game?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Mostly not, from talking to friends who play the guitar. They may help after some practice, but initially I think it causes confusion. Then again a ton of rock guitarists love the game, according to media reports.

-Bok

Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
For all you GH junkies--http://www.scorehero.com. Online score tracking. Because you want to make an incredibly addicting game more addictive [Smile]

61/64 songs 5-starred on expert...just Misirlou, Six and Jordan left (and just Jordan left to finish...) 25,000 more on Misirlou to unlock the last guitar. I love this game [Smile]

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
My floor got Guitar Hero I when it came out, loved it, played the crap out of it (although somehow our original guitar controller hasn't disintegrated, although it does rattle like freight train when you play it), and we expected GH2 to be the same. While 2 was initially very pleasing because we so desperately needed a new fix of Guitar Hero, we were all disappointed by the songs. There are only a few good ones (songs that would be worth playing over and over and over like we did with 1), the songs themselves are too long and have a ridiculous number of false endings, and they took the "challenging" part to mean they throw an entire wall of notes at you and force you to strum really fast. That isn't fun. The solos that go all over the place in GH 1 was fun. Hitting a thousand notes a second just makes your arms ache.

Another personal gripe, which is probably just me, is that they made it damn near impossible to use the normal PS2 controller. I know the game was designed to be used by their special guitar controller, but in Guitar Hero I they at least made it possible to play with the regular controller. I first learned on that so it has a special place in my heart. In 2, unless you have amazing coordination abilities and superhuman speed, you can't play 90% of the songs on anything more than medium difficulty. I suspect they did this to force people to buy the guitar and make a few more bucks.

In the end, we agreed that Guitar Hero II took all of the hard part of Guitar Hero I but left all of the fun. Even though it's older I'd definitely recommend people considering this game to get the first version, and only after playing that to death move on.

(Because there are about 10 of us who play it all the time, and at least 5 who have been playing it for over a year, we have some ridiculously high scores and have gold-stared a large number of the songs.)

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Guitar Hero thread! Thanks to the Out of Context thread for bringing it to my attention.

In the last couple of weeks I've fallen in love with GH2. I never played GH1 so I can't compare. But I love the songs, especially Jessica, XYZ, Million Dollar Baby, Can You Hear Me Knockin', Less Talk More Rock, Trogdor and the songs by Deathklok and Buckethead. Oh yeah, and the Spinal Tap song, Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You. I just checked and saw PS2 doesn't have all the songs that the 360 has. To bad for you PS2 people.

I'm currently trying to work my way through medium with 5 stars, about halfway through and confident on an easy finish. I got to the final section on hard and got stuck on the first song, Beast and the Harlot. It angered me to no extent and I haven't tried again since.

*sigh* such a good game. It's the only video game that my father has ever played. Ever. And he had a great time; dancing around with one knee up and his tongue hanging out. Hilarious!

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I'm stuck with 3 groups left in expert. I can 3 star all the other songs on expert.

-Bok

Salsa
Member # 10530

- posted      Profile for Salsa           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Just realized theres a thread on guitar hero.

Bok, I'm just about where you are. Stuck on Pshychobilly Freakout. I don't care if I can't spell it [Smile]

I hate that song.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Just in case you didn't know. In a couple weeks a new addition comes out. It's all 80"s music.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarhero80s/index.html

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
For 50 bucks? I dunno, that seems a little steep. Especially after shelling out 90 for the game and about as much again for the extra controller.

I can't believe y'all could get that far on expert. I'm finding it physically impossible to hit the string button fast enough to pass the hardest songs on hard.

[ July 13, 2007, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the next Guitar Hero will be available on the Wii.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Sals: I'm not sure I'm there yet. Looking at the list, I think I'm still a couple songs in section 5. I hate the triplet stuff, it kills me.

FC: I'm more interested in if Rock Band will make it out on the Wii. I need my Who's Next!!!

-Bok

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.