FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (no spoilers please)

Author Topic: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (no spoilers please)
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm halfway through the first book of Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. It's OK so far... but not really grabbing me yet... and there's a few annoyances, like some clumsy metaphors, plus some jarring viewpoint changes.

I'll finish out the book, but I'm wondering if the series gets better... think I first heard about the series here at Hatrack, so I'd be curious to hear folks' take on it!

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the series in Dutch translation. But that was over six years ago, so it'd be hard for me to give a detailed description of my take on the story.
I do remember that the later installments brought tears to my eyes at several points, but that could just be because I'm so sappy. Anyway I do think it's worth the effort to finish the work. Regarding the few annoyances you mentioned, please keep in mind that Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was Williams' first attempt at writing a lengthy fantasy tale.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! Another Dutch Hatracker [Smile]

*leaves, not having read Williams..sorry plaid

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I read them a long time ago, but I remember liking them enough to finish the series. They must have been pretty good, because I won't bother wasting my time with a book I don't like...

Not after Steven King hurt my soul with Gerald's Game. May he have a festering sore on his backside one minute for every person who ever read that rubbish pile of a book!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid, I felt the same way you did halfway through the first book, except maybe more so -- I was considering not finishing it, which I never do. A friend talked me into finishing, and it kinda picked up near the end, so I figured I'd go ahead and read the series.

Complete waste of time. I wish I hadn't even finished the first. And it's a LOT of book to waste your time with. It never stopped being just on the edge of boring and annoying, to me, and the ending was a huge disappointment. Everybody else here pretty much disagrees with me, but I'd say unless you have a complete sea change before the end of the first book, don't read the rest. It's not worth it.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I had the exact same experience as ElJay, for what it's worth.

On the other hand, when I read Otherland, I -- quite literally -- could not believe it was the same author. His writing chops certainly came up to snuff, in my opinion.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. Otherland is the one that bored me to tears. I won't say MS&T was the best series I've ever read, but I enjoyed it more than Otherland.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
MST kept me just slightly warmer than indifferent throughout - I was interested while reading it, but had no time putting it down to read mountains of other things in the meantime. The floodgates never opened and no angels sang, but it WAS interesting, I thought. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
I'm halfway through the first book of Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. It's OK so far... but not really grabbing me yet... and there's a few annoyances, like some clumsy metaphors, plus some jarring viewpoint changes.

I'll finish out the book, but I'm wondering if the series gets better... think I first heard about the series here at Hatrack, so I'd be curious to hear folks' take on it!

I haven't read it since high school, but I remember really enjoying it quite a lot back then. I'm recalling that I particularly liked the second book, and that I found the writing to be really beautiful and moving in that one...but I was in high school, so who knows? I should re-read it one of these days.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
Weird. Otherland is the one that bored me to tears. I won't say MS&T was the best series I've ever read, but I enjoyed it more than Otherland.

I couldn't finish Otherland, either. [Frown] I should try it again. I picked it up in 1999, I believe, when I was really too busy to read good books. I keep hearing it's great, so I ought to give it another go. I did like the fact that there was a character in it named !Xabu.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I put MS&T down halfway through the first book about two years ago and have never been inspired to pick it up again, despite rave reviews from some Hatrackers.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Thanks for reviews... I'm listening to it as an audiobook, so since I'm listening to it while I'm working or doing chores, I've got a lot more patience for it than if I were reading it. That said, if I'm not excited by it by the end of the book... there's a lot of other things I can listen to before I'll try the next book!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay's thoughts are mine precisely.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to say that Eljay, CT, Frisco, and Brinestone all had the exact same reaction I did (except I didn't finish the first one).

It took an entire month to get through the first half of the first book, and then I just gave up. I read the entire ASOIAF series in 10 days (when there were three books) to give you and indication of how slow 200 pages in a month was for me.

However, from reading the other reviews of the books here, it appears that if someone does enjoy the first book, then they will almost universally love the entire series. It is even in a bunch of hatrackers favorite fantasy list.

So it must be a matter of taste.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in my favorite fantasy list. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I adored it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
It's in my favorite fantasy list.
Tom, would you say that Noeman should continue, based on his feelings so far, or was your feeling at that point far enough away from his (and mine) that you suspect he won't enjoy the rest?

I ask, not just for Jake, but because I bought the entire series at the same time, and I hate that after two years I still have three and a half books unread on my shelf...

(Note: Eljay's description of hating the beginning, and then seriously regretting soldiering on carries a lot of weight with me, but for some reason I still want to be convinced I think.)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Um, wait a goldurned minute.
Plaid is Noemon?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved memory sorrow and thorn. So did my brother. Both of us enjoyed the series more then LotR, for whatever that is worth.

I didn't get bored during the first book, though, although I will admit that it moves slow for about 250 pages.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Um, wait a goldurned minute.
Plaid is Noemon?

No. Xavier is Confused. [Wink]

I read William's Shadowmarch. The whole darn thing. Just WAITING for it to get interesting!

It never did. No, that's not fair. Bits and pieces were fairly intriguing, as were some of the characters. But in terms of the plot as a whole, I just really could not have cared less.

And I have no intention of ever picking up another book by the author.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I quit MS&T halfway through and I've never looked back. Though I also quit Otherland after the first book, so apparently I just don't care for the author. He simply bores me to the point where I can't go on.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

*curious* Am I Noemon-ish?
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon would never make an "-ish" neologism, so no.

I'm firmly in the "Williams is boring and must be paid by the pound" camp. I read one of his long books and it dragged horribly. He just couldn't sustain my interest. Never again will I give him the chance.

Some seem to love him? I guess he's one of those writers you either love or hate.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

He might not even understand "neologism," for that matter.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Noemon would never make an "-ish" neologism, so no.

You know, I'm fairly certain this is false, and can be disproved by several counter examples, but I'm feeling far too lazy at the moment to bother searching.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Doh!

For the record, I know Noeman is not plaid, especially having met both of them [Blushing] .

Not sure how I got confused, but somehow I must have. My confusion was not thinking that they were the same, but for some reason misremembering who the thread starter was.

rivka
Member # 4859

It's ok. *pat pat* We all know that the memory is the second thing to go.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It's ok. *pat pat* We all know that the memory is the second thing to go.

LOL....God, I have missed this place. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.