FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Revenge?

Author Topic: Revenge?
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

quote:
Police say a Marshall County teen raped his mother to get revenge on his brother.
How is this revenge on his brother? What is this world coming to? This makes me sick.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

I just don't have words...

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sickened*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...the mother was passed out drunk on the couch...I don't see how this young man could possibly have gone so wrong with such a positive role model.

This story is sad for so many reasons.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm...the mother was passed out drunk on the couch...I don't see how this young man could possibly have gone so wrong with such a positive role model.
What makes you qualified to judge what kind of a role model the mother is because she was drunk in her own house (hearsay, by the way). It's still legal for a 45 year old to drink in their own residence, right? How about falling asleep on the couch -- that still legal?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
What makes you qualified to judge what kind of a role model the mother is because she was drunk in her own house (hearsay, by the way). It's still legal for a 45 year old to drink in their own residence, right? How about falling asleep on the couch -- that still legal?
The characterization of "passing out drunk" is much different than drinking in the privacy of ones own home and sleeping on the couch. Neither of these things excuses her son's actions, but they certainly call (into my mind) the kind of role model one presents as they drink themselves into an unconscious stupor.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, hearsay.

If I drink, I usually also sleep at some point later on that night. Would you characterize that 'passing out drunk?' What if she was just napping on the couch? Would you still blame the rape on the poor example she set for her sons, or would the kid then have to take responsibility for his actions?

I'm not saying she is or is not a bad role model, but rather that we don't have enough information to say with any certainty either way. And I find your conclusion-jumping reactionary and judgemental.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy was 19.

Role model, shmole model. He is responsible for his own actions, and playing "blame the parents" is particularly despicable in this case.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
TheHumanTarget,

Your characterization of the woman, based on extremely limited knowledge, is in poor taste to say the least.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish the officer had said "'It's totally sickening is what it is'" instead of "sick."

The one implies some sort of excuse. Who knows, he might have one. But I think defaulting to that kind of judgment is damaging.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Alright folks...can we put away the pitchforks and torches? Haven't you guys heard the phrase "Many reasons, no excuses"? I'm not placing blame on the mother, just commenting on the way the article presented (misrepresented, slandered, 'insert inflammatory synonym here') the mothers questionable behaviour when the attack took place.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Actually, what you did what draw the assumption that the mother was a terrible role model and then use that assumption to excuse the son's behavior. I can't imagine why anyone would be upset about that.
[Roll Eyes]

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, what you did what draw the assumption that the mother was a terrible role model and then use that assumption to excuse the son's behavior. I can't imagine why anyone would be upset about that.
When I read the article, the first thing I thought (after my emotional sick response and abhorrence of the rape) was, "what kind of role model is she?" The wording of "passed out drunk" vs "sleeping off alcohol" brings a very different mental image--for me.

I don't see how that reaction excuses anything. The imagery could be wrong--it is after all hearsay. After thinking about the age of the son, I am less skeptical of the mom's behavior.

Being passed out on a couch in front of a minor in your charge is bad in my mind, but he was 19.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm imagining some pretty horrible situations that would lead one person to believe that raping their mother would be revenge on the brother.

I have no clue if any of them are true, of course.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Sickening doesn't even cover it.

Maybe despite all her good intentions her son is still a horrible jerk and she was drinking to forget what a disgusting child she has.

Regardless - her alcohol consumption has nothing to do with his evil behavior.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
Regardless - her alcohol consumption has nothing to do with his evil behavior.
No one can know this for sure, but I am sure that anyone who has known an alchoholic parent could probably provide numerous examples of how it impaired their ability to be a good parent and a good role model.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that that would excuse the behavior.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Too many people subscribe to tabula rasa. The kid was just a bad person.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
No one can know this for sure, but I am sure that anyone who has known an alchoholic parent could probably provide numerous examples of how it impaired their ability to be a good parent and a good role model.
The problem was (and remains) your assumption that one time passed out drunk* == alcoholic == terrible parent, when we have little evidence to link A to B or B to C.

*That we know of.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
You're probably right. I'm sure he just emerged in the world fully formed, with all thoughts and behaviours programmed in.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
The problem was (and remains) your assumption that one time passed out drunk* == alcoholic == terrible parent, when we have little evidence to link A to B or B to C.

*That we know of.

You're right. I probably should've added the caveat that this woman is not a known alcoholic, and my last comment was more of a general statement.
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
You're probably right. I'm sure he just emerged in the world fully formed, with all thoughts and behaviours programmed in.
Yes, because every person with the same upbringing turns into an incestuous rapist.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
Yes, because every person with the same upbringing turns into an incestuous rapist.
Of course they do...

You know, I was going to make a joke about how silly your statement was, but if I remember correctly (and I'll look for references) many rapists share some common themes that influenced them in the early part of their lives...I'll research and come back...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.