FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Colorado's "try as an adult" law

Author Topic: Colorado's "try as an adult" law
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC news

I'm surprised it's up to the DA to decide whether a person under 18 is tried as an adult. I always just assumed there was judicial review of such things.

Is it really true that we're the ONLY country that treats some juvenile offenders as adults?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Some countries do define "adult" quite differently than the US - around these parts, the age of sexual consent and responsibility under the law is 15. It's true that they don't make any exceptions like the US does, though.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty messed up. I also thought it had to go through a judicial review.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised it's up to the DA, and I understand the objection to it. It EDIT: MIGHT be better if it were not up to the DA. Also, the facts of Erik Jensen's case as presented seem very unfortunate, since there seem to be mitigating circumstances. If it's all presented accurately, I hope he gets another chance in appeals court. That's what appeals court is for, in any case: to right injustices committed in court.

However, my sympathy is extremely limited, and I suspect the BBC article cherry-picks what it shares with us, in terms of previous offenses and background. (I suspect this because the article makes its bias clear with its melodramatic title, the implicit criticism of the US for having children jailed as adults at all, and the sympathetic descriptions of all the particular crimes described, such as the "accidental shooting of another youth.") In general, I am all for young perpetrators of heinous crimes being tried as adults.

I suspect I have come into contact with more young thugs and violent criminals than most, and this certainly colors my view. They often make it clear that they are aware they will likely not face a strong consequence for their actions, due to their status as minors. I think if you commit adult-sized crimes, you should face adult-sized penalties.

As I think about this some more, if it is a political "slam dunk" for an elected DA to try a young murderer as an adult, isn't that indicative that it is the will of the people that this be done? Is that so wrong, then--that the people's will be enforced?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.