FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scary halloween idea

Author Topic: Scary halloween idea
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was a kid, some adults would dress up as scary monsters and try to startle kids when they open the door. It was okay, because scaring people is what halloween is all about.

Well, I don't have a costume like that, but I think I know how I can scare the neighborhood kids this year far more cheaply.

I just bought five bags of fun-size candy bars. Now all I have to do is take them all out of their original wrappers, and then give them out re-wrapped in tinfoil.

What could be more festive?

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reminded by an episode of of "Happy Days" when Joanie was still a child. She was getting ready for "trick-or-treating".

Mrs. C (mom)" Now dear, remember, only accept wrapped candy. Nothing unwrapped, and no apples or pop-corn balls. These days, you have no idea what some crazy people are putting in them."

Joanie. "Yes mom. Oh, what are we giving out."

Mrs. C. "pop-corn balls and candy apples."

Joanie, stunned. "But you just said..."

Mrs. C, confused. "Well dear, we know that we aren't crazy people."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
What is scarier now is not checking for registered sex offenders in the neighborhood when your little ones are trick or treating!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
1. "Little ones" probably shouldn't be trick-or-treating without an adult.

2. Those who can't understand and follow basic safety rules about trick-or-treating should probably be treated as "little ones".

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I ever trick-or-treated without an adult.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

I did when I was about 10 or so. I would never let me do that now. But I still would not want my little ones knocking on a sex offenders house even if I were there.

We are going to Trunk or Treat with our church again this year. It is safer and much more fun!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
You're a sick sick man Baron.

I love the idea!

I am a recee's cup fan. I might take your idea and eat (save) one cup out of each candy bar and pass out the half empty candy bar to our trick or treaters.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are allowed only in our neighborhood. I'm staying home and handing out candy and my 13 year old is supervising the littler ones, with the aide of her best friend. They are not trick or treating, just being the chaperones.

There are no registered sex offenders in my neighborhood, the nearest one lives about five miles away on the other side of town.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A lovely way to scare the trick-or-treaters is to demand a trick when they ring your bell. Look all stern and ask if they can juggle or do gymnastics. Refuse to fork over the loot until they demonstrate their trick.

We don't get a lot of kids ringing our bell in Halloween.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just looked our address up on familywatchdog.org. There are no offenders in our immediate neighborhood, which makes me very glad as there are a lot of kids who play pretty much unsupervised on our cul-de-sac, but upon closer inspection of the wider area, there are several high-risk offenders living awfully close to the many schools around here.

Yikes.

Several schools have multiple offenders living within 1000 feet, which I thought was illegal here.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a slightly better site: http://www.nsopr.gov/

But then I didn't register for the other one, so I didn't see the whole thing. I just hate spam.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up going to the State of California-run Megan's Law website, which has mapping now, and trying that out. It ran faster and gave better information-- but it's still showing sex offenders within 1000 feet of schools in Burbank. And multiples across the street from the park we go to.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Here there is a halfway house for offenders right next to a school bus stop. This scares me even more since there is less supervision at a bus stop.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you do it Baron?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

MandyM, that's appalling. Why? Why would they put that there?

I've said before that I have real issues with the whole registry system, and this is one of the reasons why.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.