FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter party ideas - please help!

Author Topic: Harry Potter party ideas - please help!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Six years ago, my friends and I threw a Harry Potter birthday party where fifty people came and we all played Quidditch.

For some reason, I decided that was a good idea and I volunteered to present it as an example of a party for a workshop on entertaining this weekend. Now I can't remember what we did.

I am going to make a sorting hat tonight for the centerpiece, and I'll make chocolate frogs on Friday. I found some labels for butterbeer, so I'll replace the labels on cream soda with the butter beer labels.

What I'm doing is decorating a table for eight and then providing a handout with ideas for the part. The handout will include the instructions for quidditch, and I'm not sure what else. Any other ideas? For the handout or the table - I don't know how to decorate the table beyond the sorting hat in the middle right now.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Lotsa candles. And Jelly Bellies actually makes Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget a lot of broomsticks, cats, lightening bolts and old books for your decorations.

and some stuffed owls.

Unstuffed ones work, if they don't eat your guests.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make placecards along the line of the wizard collectable cards. Favors would be nice too. Maybe a small cauldron, a velvet bag or a small trunk filled with treats or something.

Putting scarves on the backs of the chairs in the colors of the houses playing quidditch would be a great touch, and dress up the chairs. That could be how the teams are divided. Whatever color is on the chair you sit at, that's your team.

Use candles, or candleaubras on the table, definitely. Wizards always use candles. Scrolls draped on the table might look nice, too. I typically like to scatter candy on the table that matches my party theme for munching. It tends to be a crowd pleaser, too. I'd second the idea of finding Jelly Belly's Bertie Bott's and scattering those around on the table.

Maybe mention in the handout using glow-in-the-dark stars or hanging stars on the ceiling over the table, reminiscent of the bewitched ceiling in the great hall.

I'll keep thinking to see if I can come up with anything good.

Edited for coherency. [Smile]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate Cauldrons
Iced Pumpkin Juice
Mead
Treacle Tart
This lady went all out.

More ideas.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh,y'all are fantastic. What I have so far is the hat, molds to make chocolate frogs, and red and gold material to dress the table with. The candles thing is great. I don't want to spend too much money on this, but I was hoping to find cauldrons for cheap since it is right after Halloween.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find some Dry Ice it would add a little spooky smoke to the atmospere. Throw it in a cauldron...

Definately make all the food appeare on the table with a clap of your hands.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't eat the white ones with the grey spots. I can take vomit, and boogers, but not the sardine ones.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

You should be able to find, on-line, both the Hogwartz symbol, and the symbols from the four houses. Then make something close with crayons and paints.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of flowers on the table, have a vase or two full of "wands" (chopsticks or dowels painted to look like different types of wood) and a few pieces of that foil star streamer stuff or something on either side of the hat. Each guest can take one to mess around with before or after dinner, while you clear up before the Quidditch game, and take it home to remember the evening by.

Before dinner, they could play an improv-type game where they do some "wizard dueling." Have strips of paper with "real" or silly Harry Potter type spells on them, each person draws one and yells out the spell at his "opponent", then the opponent tries to act out what he thinks the spell would do to him. The opponent then turns and chooses another opponent, and becomes the spellcaster. Sure to break the ice and have everyone laughing.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Scavenger hunt with Harry Potter-related items and/or treasure maps drawn to resemble the secret "we're up to no good" (or something like that) map passed down through the Weasley brothers.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

You could always knit a very, very, very large Harry scarf.

And glasses.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure their are wands for everybody. Its so much more fun to actually have a good looking wand in hand when trying to pretend your at a wizarding party. Ketchupqueen's game sounds brilliant.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, I am going to call you. I promise. However, I am completely uncreative and these folks have come up with brilliant ideas that I couldn't even dream of. But, I'll still call you. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Get predictions for if and when Harry Potter will die. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile]

These are GREAT ideas.

Sadly, I did a semi-crappy job on the party preparations. [Frown] What I should have done is typed up all the suggestions. Instead, all I did was make the sorting hat, get red and gold for the tablecloths, typed up Live Quidditch instructions, and made chocolate frogs. Then, in one of the workshops, I verbally said a few of the ideas.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself. That should have been so much better. However, I am saving this thread so when I actually do the party instead of just talk about how to do the party, I can incorporate the ideas. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.