FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Manuscript formatting tips

Author Topic: Manuscript formatting tips
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read somewhere that publishers prefer words that will ultimately be italicized in publication to be underlined on a manuscript. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't mind it either way, but I'd hate to have to go back through 300 pages or more hunting down one format to correct it to the other. Far better to type it out right in the first place, no?

Any other advice for formatting something so as to be ready for submission?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found this link which answers my specific question. I'll leave the thread up for people to add their tips or ask more questions about formatting. (Or if no one cares, just let it drop off.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Underlining instead of italicizing is standard manuscript format. I see that you've already found the site I would have linked to, so that's good. Sometimes publishers or agents have specific formatting requirements that differ from the standard, but should state what they are in their guidelines.

Also, you should be able to do a search and replace on formatting, so if you need to change it in the future it shouldn't be too painful.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.