FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The 2006 Homemade Christmas Present Idea Thread

Author Topic: The 2006 Homemade Christmas Present Idea Thread
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you believe it's November! [Eek!]

Okay, here's our traditional annual thread on inexpensive, homemade Christmas gift ideas.

This year, for teacher gifts I'm planning on doing beaded ornament hooks.

Here's a link.

Do y'all think a set of six beaded ornament hooks is enough for a nice gift?

Also a gift idea I used last year was to make book thongs. Those were very popular and they're easy and fun to do.

Please post any ideas, questions, or suggestions. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm knitting presents for my nearest and dearest.

here is a shawl for my Mum, completed Monday.

(I am very proud. Hence bragging. [Smile] )

It was actually relatively inexpensive (just under two skeins of yarn at $9 a skein, and the pattern was $7) but definately time consuming!

Belle, I think those ornament hooks are a great idea! A set of six would be lovely.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, imogen! That's amazing. Where did you find that pattern?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is big on pictures... and creative uses of them. I like making albums and personalizing them. Maybe boring to some people but I like it. : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Both pattern and yarn are from Blackberry Ridge .

The pattern is the Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl, but they have lots of lovely patterns. The yarn is the 75% wool 25% silk blend (laceweight).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

imogen, that shawl is gorgeous!

I'm going to be dyeing some scarves again this year, I want to try the two-tone dyes with some devore satin scarves.

Devore Satin scarves

Two-tone dyes

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
imogen, that shawl is gorgeous!

I'm going to be dyeing some scarves again this year, I want to try the two-tone dyes with some devore satin scarves.

Devore Satin scarves

Two-tone dyes

Hey Belle, is this really as easy as the website makes it look?
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get to see my niece and nephews for christmas, I think I'll make them hand puppets.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
All my immediate family are getting handknit sweaters this year. Fortunately, "all my immediate family" is only four people, and I started in March [Wink] Maybe, just maybe, this year I won't shoot myself in the foot by planning too ambitiously and starting too late (as I've done every year till now). Mom's and Dad's are done, future-BIL's needs about a sleeve and a half, and sister's is yet to be started; I think I'm in decent shape. I am, however, wishing my sister had set her sights on someone smaller [Razz] (Future-BIL is 6 foot 5 and long-waisted, I feel like I'm knitting a green Fibonacci-ribbed tent.)
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I refinished an old desk for my aunt.

Apparently some relative of mine built it over a 100 year ago and she left it at my house with the intention of coming over to refinish it in my workshop a couple of years ago. I guess she forgot about it. It had been painted white a few times and required a fair amount of repair, but I just need to find some new draw pulls and it will be done.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures, SC! (I love looking at old furniture).

cmc - I think the albums are a great idea. At least it would be if I were on your recipient list. I always intend to organized and scrapbook things, but never have time.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
We are handpainting an old child's school desk bought at a garage sale for my daughter. I am making matching pajama sets for my daughter and my nieces and nephew and we will take pictures of all 4 of them in their jammies at Thanksgiving.

I always bake cookies for my coworkers and extended family and this year I think I am going to sew little drawstring bags to put them in.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites (I don't remember if I posted it last year) is frozen cookie dough. I make several types of cookies (peanut butter, chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, sugar, gingerbread, etc...) and scoop them into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet. Then I put them in those ziploc disposable containers with a tag that says something like, "Here's a little extra dough for the holidays" and baking instructions which are usually Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes. Then they can eat fresh baked cookies whenever they want (or sneak a little dough on the side).

That shawl is gorgeous imogen, I just learned to knit a couple of weeks ago and wow! you are amazing to be able to do something like that!

[ November 03, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends IRL wrote a program for his dad's business for his birthday. If you happen to be technically inclined, that's a really easy way to home-make gifts; simple software that they might find useful, a website/photosite for their family, etc.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm knitting felted purses for some parts of my family and friends. Also if I get a chance I'll make some wood knitting needles for a few friends, and stitch markers. My mom is making chandelier earrings for lots of people. Plus for "emergency gifts" I have a pile of knit scarves.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Apparently some relative of mine built it over a 100 year ago and she left it at my house with the intention of coming over to refinish it in my workshop a couple of years ago. I guess she forgot about it.

Even though I read the bit about your aunt, at first my brain thought "she" referred to the hundred-plus-years-ago relative, and for a moment I was thinking, " [Eek!] Um, I think this is more than simple forgetting." I was very confused. [Big Grin]

---

I'm making a bunch of smaller handknit things. I'd love to do sweaters, but that much yarn would be way too expensive, plus I just don't have the time. These are the definites so far:

• My dad is getting cotton socks, which I've already started - I'm up to the heel on the first one, but these go pretty fast.
  • My mom is getting convertible mitten-glove things (made from the yarn BannaOJ spun for me [Smile] ), but I might leave these till last and give them to her for her birthday in January if I can't finish them for Christmas. The pattern looks pretty complicated, so they may take me a while.
  • I'm planning on making a hat and possibly mittens-on-a-string for my four-year-old cousin. Last year I crocheted her a Gryffindor hat and scarf set, so I'm thinking handmades will be a nice tradition to keep up with her.
  • I think I'll make hats for my cousin's parents, and also for my other uncle (he lives with my parents), but I've yet to decide on patterns for these.
I'm also pondering hats for a couple close friends, but that may change if I'm inspired to get them something else.

And I recently discovered that my public library has downloadable audiobooks. [Big Grin] I hate knitting in a vaccuum, but watching TV isn't very efficient because I'm not such a good knitter that I can do it without looking at what I'm doing. Plus I keep pausing the knitting so I don't miss whatever's happening in the show/movie, so my progress is slow. Audiobooks are a much better option.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Audiobooks are a great idea to listen to while I sew! I had the same problem trying to sew and watch TV. Music bores me after a while so I love the idea of hearing books! [Smile]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
FG,
I forgot to take some pictures of the desk before I started, now no one will believe how bad it used to look. Oh well I’ll try to get some photos before I give back to my aunt.

NG
Sorry no 100 year old aunts refinishing furniture here.

I love to listen to audio books while I do wood work, especially carving. TV doesn't work; need to keep my eyes on the really sharp object in my hand. Plus most audio books are much better than anything on TV. Football is the only exception.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:

Hey Belle, is this really as easy as the website makes it look?

I'll let you know. I'm waiting to order the dyes because so many of them are out of stock, but they are due in soon. I've never used these particular dyes before, but I will say that in my experience that website always has good, thorough directions. I've followed their directions to the letter on other paints and dyes I've used from them and they've never steered me wrong yet. My inclination is to trust that yes, it must be that easy. This will be my first time using the Devore satin scarves too, though I have used their cut velvet scarves before using only one color of dye and they dye up beautifully.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
For at least ten people, I'm making small felt penny rugs with an animal or tree design (two each of goat, sheep, tree, pig, and rabbit), and give a $10 "share" of the corresponding animal(s) or seedlings from Heifer International along with the gift.

I estimate the cost per penny rug, all things considered, will average out to about $3. So not an expensive gift, but one that will remind them of the donation made in their name anytime they use the decoration.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am making my best friend the bunny slippers from The Happy Hooker.I can't think of any other right now.
kq, I love that idea.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

kq, that is one of the coolest gift ideas I've heard. [Smile]

I got a brochure from Heifer Intl and I cried reading the letters from the people who had received animals and what a difference it made in their lives. It's now my favorite charity outside my church.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you people are impressive. I've got to start getting into this kind of stuff, it sounds like so much fun! I think I'll definitely do sweetbaboo's awesome cookie dough idea. It's wonderful. [Smile]

I want to see pictures of your scarves, Belle. It sounds like they'll be lovely and impressive.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, that scarf imogen! Beautiful [Smile]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
sweetbaboo, what a great idea. people get so inundated with cookies and sweets at christmas, but giving frozen dough makes for a nice treat later. definitely something i'm going to do for my neighbors and friends at church.

also, my three year old daughter is going to help me make play-dough and we are going to give some in cute little bags to all of her friends.

i'm so impressed with all your crafts. i just made fleece winter hats for my kids and felt pretty proud, but they are nothing compared to all these shawls and scarves and such.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

KetchupQueen, that present idea is fantastic!

Stray, that's a lot of sweater knitting - I'm impressed. (I haven't dared to set a deadline for a sweater yet. As a result, the one I am knitting for Tony has been languishing with back completed and a sleeve cast on for about 6 months).

Frozen dough is a great idea! And play-dough. I feel all crafty. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I am making my best friend the bunny slippers from The Happy Hooker.

I saw that pattern, but I was a little intimidated, and afraid to try it. I'd be interested to know how they come out.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great no-cook play doh recipe that uses kool-aid for the coloring if anyone wants the recipe? And pvc pipe makes fantastic rolling pins for little hands. My kids have really had fun not only with cookie cutters and such but sometimes you can find solid plastic dinosaurs and animals at the dollar store (about 4-6 inches high, so not the tiny cheapie ones) and they build moutnatins and coats for the animals and have a great time. Oh! You can also find cheapie scissors to keep in the play-doh bin, plastic are best. Play-doh is fun!

I feel kinda stupid but kq (or anyone) what are penny rugs?

breyerchic, I want to learn how to knit felted bags next, be sure to post pictures when you are finished [Smile]

We decided we are going to make snowman making kits for our sibling's families this year. We are going to cut eyes, ears, mouths out of mdf, paint and attach to a dowel. We will include hats, scarves, buttons and what not. Imagine a Mr. Potato Head kind of kit for a snowman/woman. Any other accessories ideas?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been poking around on websites because our church is planning on doing a huge craft bazaar. YOu guys have given me such great ideas. [Smile] WE'll probably also do the chocolate dipped plastic spoons in a holiday mug, and the Candy Cane Bath Salts:

Candy Cane Bath Salts
2 cups epsom salts

1/2 c. sea salt
4-6 drops peppermint oil
2-3 drops red food coloring.
Place one cup of epsom and 1/4 cup sea salt in a bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add 2-3 drops peppermint oil. Place the remaining ingredients in a socond bowl. Mix all ingredients well. Layer the red and white salts in a clear bottle or Jar. Half litre Naya water bottles work well because they have the stripes. tie with a ribbons and some small candy canes.

Let me know if you have any other brilliant ideas. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel kinda stupid but kq (or anyone) what are penny rugs?
I was wondering this also. I'd guess that they're rugs about the size of a large coaster, but I really have no idea.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.