FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flushed Away *spoilers* Not as bad as I feared...

Author Topic: Flushed Away *spoilers* Not as bad as I feared...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...yet it's not Aardman's new triumph, either.

The film seems to have been retooled and revised quite a bit from the initial glimpses given in the trailer last spring.

Roddy (voiced by Hugh Jackman) lacks the two gerbil sidekicks/servants. His life now seems far more lonely and sad than luxurious and spoiled.

As a result, I felt far more sympathy.

Plus, Sir Ian -makes- the movie great whenever the Toad is onscreen. I don't think he has it in him to give a bad performance.

The singing slugs that turn up from time to time are a delight.

That said, the plot is hopelessly confused. There are several threads that never truly get tied together, and each are picked up and dropped at random.

Plus, the use of CGI to simulate stop motion clay animation leads to a bizarre "Uncanny Plasticine Valley" effect.

Not anywhere near the quality of Chicken Run, Creature Comforts, or the sublime Wallace & Gromit...but it's much less mediocre than many of the 16+ CGI 'toons that came out in 2006.

...if they do one more "Domesticated Animal Lost in the Wild" flick though...*grits teeth*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually looks like it would be a very campy film to see. Probably great for kids with adult humor thrown in so they don't fall asleep when they take the kids to it.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that it was actually a lot better than Aardman's previous films, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't really vouch for them.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was kind of dreadful. I didn't find it funny -- the jokes were disappointingly obvious. Usually we can count on Aardman not to go to the easy cliches -- but in this movie, I kept thinking, over and over again, I've heard that joke so many times before.... I've seen that plot development so many times before....

I also found myself feeling really uncomfortable with the French stereotyping they pulled with the frog characters. I never like stereotyping, but this seemed particularly petty to me.

I know, I know -- it's just a kid's movie and I shouldn't take it seriously. I just sat there imagining developmental meetings in which English guys said to each other "We should be really vicious to the French -- Americans hate the French."

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I doubt they intended the frog ninjas to be French to be "vicious". But, yeah...they laid it on far too thick.

But...I cannot help noting you seem to have -no- complaints about the grotesque, rude, loud, pushy, obnoxious American rodent couple who turned up several times. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I think when you start out from a point where you're actually using an ethnic/cultural slur as the very basis for your characters, you gotta be prepared to hear words like 'vicious'.

quote:
But...I cannot help noting you seem to have -no- complaints about the grotesque, rude, loud, pushy, obnoxious American rodent couple who turned up several times.
It would have been hard for me to catalogue each specific thing I disliked about this movie.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So, what about those Texan mice? Can we call them a "slur" too?

Personally, I think the lack of Nick Park and the other "wiser heads" at Aardman lead to an unfortunate reliance on stock characters and lazy writing, more than they thought "Hey, I hate French People!"

The French snob and the Ugly American Abroad are both stock characters, used for lowbrow comedy. I don't like it, but I don't think it was meant to be an attack. More, they just weren't trying for genuine humor.

TL
Member # 8124

quote:
Personally, I think the lack of Nick Park and the other "wiser heads" at Aardman lead to an unfortunate reliance on stock characters and lazy writing, more than they thought "Hey, I hate French People!"
Well, I totally agree. I didn't say that they hated French people. I said they engaged in some stereotyping that made me uncomfortable, and that they used the slur "frog" as the basis for these French characters, and that it wasn't funny.

I don't actually think they hate French people. I think they think *WE* hate French people, and that we would find this hilarious.

Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I saw this movie this week and absolutely loved it, and thus I'm a bit surprised at the lukewarm reception it's received here.

In fact I'd go as far as to say this was my second favourite computer animated feature I've seen after Shrek. Compared to Aardman's previous endeavors it wasn't Wallace & Gromit level but it was way better than Chicken Run.

True, the plot was standard kiddie movie fare, but then this film isn't that much about the plot, it's about the silly action and humor - with a few subtler and cleverer points thrown in the mix such as cockroaches reading Kafka's Metamorphosis. So OK, they did use every British humour cliché in the book from the uppity Kensington rat to the working class sewer rats to the sex crazed grandma to the obnoxious Americans to the digs at the nobility, but then I also think that was kind of the point.

The sewer rat city was the film's most "Aardmanesque" part in my opinion with all the buildings and clothes and everything built from stuff that had been flushed down the toilet at some point or another.

The points about family and community were played well enough amongst all the action so that they were emotional enough but not sappy such as, say, similar scenes in Finding Nemo.

The voice acting was indeed the high point. Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Andy Serkis, Jean Reno and Bill Nighy all give wonderful performances, McKellen especially. (Also, they should've included a feature-length DVD extra about the recording of the voices, because the little they showed of McKellen, Serkis and the others reciting their lines in the recording booth was amazing, especially McKellen's facial expressions when doing the Toad.)

As to the French frogs... to be honest I didn't even think someone could be offended at them before I came here to read this. True, they're stereotypical, but then so is every other character in this film. I also very much doubt they're intended for American audiences - I would imagine the Brits laugh at the French quite on their own without American help.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The soccer jokes were hillarious.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.