FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anticipation

Author Topic: Anticipation
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Very few commercials have long term appeal, let alone the ability to stick in your mind years after the fact.

I loved this ad years before I could even drink, it wasn't until I was actually allowed to (almost 15 years ago) that I actually got it. And loved it more.

I still think it's one of the best ads ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvwIxyYg4Dg

Post yours.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymHE0-3mEA

[Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my all-time-favorite commercials:

Lamp

Sun Fizz

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The world's most amazing car ad
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I wish they would've made a real Rube Goldberg device. Those tires can't have been moving up the incline naturally.

Otherwise, yeah, neat commercial.

Loved the Sun Fizz one, too. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The way the tires move up the ramp is by being unbalanced inside. At the start, they are balancing with the heavy side on top. Once they're given a nudge, they start falling uphill. While the bottom point of the tire rises, the center of mass lowers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Interesting. Thanks.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Caveat: I don't know this for a fact, but that's how I would do it, and I can't think of any other way.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, it looked like video manipulation. That is, the tire seemed to stop for a moment then mysteriously started up again, but your explanation makes sense.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that the entire thing was real, and that it took over 300 takes to make it work properly to get the entire series in an uninterrupted cut.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that, too.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I read that the entire thing was real, and that it took over 300 takes to make it work properly to get the entire series in an uninterrupted cut.

Actually, I believe there's ONLY ONE cut in it, at a rather inconsequential location halfway through, but during its creation they did do several full run-throughs uninterrupted.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
M&Ms

2000 Elections

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Lisa, I was just about to go try to find that one (the Bush/Gore Snickers ad). Favorite commercial ever!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"I invented pants". LOL!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.