FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On Human Nature. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: On Human Nature.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Pel, putting your faith in groups is going to get you sorely disappointed. People are never more hateful than they are in a group.

Although that's true, the reverse can also be argued. Groups can be incredibly hateful, but a group of people working together for good can be just the opposite.

On the group/mob/individual issue, I'm at a bit of a loss. One of the best philosophical points I get from OSC's writing is that individuals are defined by the communities and groups they belong to. On the other hand, groups and communities can be defined by the sub-groups and individuals who belong. It doesn't seem right to me to assume one is generally evil and the other is generally good when each one is defined by the other, and each is capable of great good or great evil.

My 1 cent. (I spent the other on a penny-candy)

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
New page!
WOOT!!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
where'd you find penny candy?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.