FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So I'm adding on to my major.

Author Topic: So I'm adding on to my major.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm sure most people know, I had mono at the beginning of the quarter, and now I've got a mono-caused throat ulcer that is preventing me from playing. I've had to drop all my classes that require playing- lessons, studio, and band. This means I'll probably have to be here another year. So, I decided: why not make it fun?

So I'm going to be here five years, doing a double degree. I'll have my bachelor of music education- that's a given. But I'll also be getting a B.A. in Comparative studies- religious studies. They don't offer a lot of courses on new age religions like mine, but the ones they have, I'm taking. I'm also getting heavily into Judaism and studies of the Qur'an. I think it'll be fun- I've always enjoyed learning about other religions, so why not put it towards something useful?

I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be enlightened by this, and become a more accepting and intelligent person for it.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry about the mono thing, especially since it means you can't play. But hey, picking up a new major in something you enjoy is the silver lining, at least. Sometimes those silver linings turn out to be more than just linings, in my experience. [Smile]

Hope you get to feeling better, Tinros.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
wierd- a violist friend of mine recently got mono too- luckily she didn't have to stop playing, but she also decided to stick around another year (for a total of 4). Mono makes people understand their priorities better: first sleep, then life.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Will your school allow that? I know that mine wouldn't allow me to get one a BM and a BA, I had to take a BA with a double major in Music and Religion when I did that. Since I had already decided I didn't really want the music degree (I just had so many credits it seemed a shame not to get the major) that I didn't care.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
you can do pretty much anything you want here. A B.A. in Music would be easier to use in a double major than a BME, but I wouldn't be able to teach with it. If I graduate with a BME, I graduate with teaching certification in hand.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a sophmore double bass performance major and I am in the middle of mono. I can play, but I am way too tired to. I might be taking my jury at the beginning of next semester, but other then that most of my teachers are working with me to keep me on track for the semester.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
*wards off the mono vibes*

Scary! I'm in my second to last semester of classes in Music Education. I can imagine how devasting mono could be at this point. It sounds like you have made good choices and are dealing with it intelligently! I'm impressed. [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a senior Musicology and English double major- and I'm going a fifth year. The UC offers a B.A.S for double arts degrees- and plus I am doing WAAY more than is required. Way.
(like 60 performance unites alone! But it doesn't count toward the unit cap here).

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.