FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » microwave + staples = Popcorn???

Author Topic: microwave + staples = Popcorn???
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just watching the "Good Eats" episode on corn, and in the last couple of minutes he does a microwave popcorn in a paper bag -- and says to staple the bag twice to close!

Here's the recipe.

Hello, Alton, are staples not metal, and not even a mention of this being a scary thought in a microwave? What am I not getting here? Are staples in a microwave OK?

I read the comments and someone mentioned that the staples aren't needed, but no one mentioned a problem with them. I've had microwaves spark when there's been a tiny residue from a foil lid left on a plastic container, so I'm really leary.

Enlighten me, Hatrack!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Most modern microwaves are ok with small amounts of metal. My microwave even has a metal rack inside of it in order to be able to cook two pots at the same time.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
/. discussion
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Note to self: Always google before posting on Hatrack.

When I entered staples and microwave I came up with a reference to this very recipe:

quote:

I have the book and highly recommend it to anyone interested in the science of cooking. As for the great staple controversy, here is a paraphrase of what is said: as long as youre using a microwave oven with a turntable and dont place the bag where the staples can rub up agains the wall, no fires or sparking will happen. This is because the staples have very little mass and are shorter than a microwave wavelength, rendering them 'invisible'. P.S. Use two staples only, placed 2 - 3 inches apart.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

rivka beat me to it! Not the same conversation, but both on slashdot. Thanks!
rivka
Member # 4859

However, there is other evidence that the staples can actually heat quite a bit.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Well I went ahead and made the popcorn before reading your last link, rivka -- happy to report that the paper bag did not catch fire! But I'm scared enough at the prospect to think I probably won't do it that way again.

Besides, this was good but I really love stove-popped popcorn, and it wasn't good enough to make a convert of me.

I had the TV on the Food Network while I was doing some work (and left it on while making the popcorn), so I ended up sitting through 3 episodes. I wonder if it was intentional that the Alton Brown show was about corn and then in one Rachael Ray show she had a tamale, and in the next a polenta-based dish?

Such profound late night thoughts I have!

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried this?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So use a needle and some natural*fiber thread to put a few stiches in to hold the bag closed.

* Synthetic threads can stretch or melt when heated.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
Has anyone tried this?

NOW you tell me! Where were you last year (and the year before that, and the year before that . . .) when I was teaching HS physics?
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody really think Alton Brown would include a recipe that could cause your microwave to explode and your house to burn down? In our litigation-happy society?

I do this all the time. Yes, the staples heat up sometimes. No, it's not as tasty as stove-top.

But the advantage it has is that it can be done without oil. So if you're watching fats or calories and don't have an air popper, here you go.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Jack:
Anybody really think Alton Brown would include a recipe that could cause your microwave to explode and your house to burn down? In our litigation-happy society?

No -- especially when I've seen him depict lawyer types forcing him to include certain caveats against his will -- but I was surprised it was such a non-issue that it wasn't even mentioned, and I wanted further clarification. Especially, like I said, when I've had a bit of metal not much bigger than a staple cause sparks.

And really, any recipe involving cooking can (theoretically at least) cause your house to burn down. And like I said -- I like it better on the stovetop. Low or no-fat isn't really what I'm looking for in popcorn, which is why I like it on the stove drenched in oil better than in an air popper, which I'll never own.

Anyway, this was a fun experiment, and I may try it again sometime w/ kids or something.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

I'll post his complete explanation from "I'm Just Here For The Food" when I get home.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Okay, here we go, Alton Brown from I'm Just Here For The Food:

quote:
I wish to defend myself against charges of microwave abuse. A couple of years ago on a certain television program, I made microwave popcorn from scratch, using plain popping corn, a little olive oil, and and salt in a small paper bag sealed with not one, not three, but two standard office staples.

Well, despite the fact that I had tested this in no fewer than ten different ovens, and despite the fact the product was delicious and cheaper than dirt, I received tons of angry mail. People were just sure that their houses would explode.

No. Relax. It's okay.

As long as you're using a microwave oven with a turntable and you don't place the bag where the staples can rub up against one of the walls, nothing bad will happen. This is because staples have very little mass and they are shorter than the microwaves themselves, which means they're basically microwave "invisible." So don't be afraid to try the recipe on the next page."

He then gives basically the same recipe as above, but without the oil.

He also contends that without the oil, the popcorn shouldn't burn. All that's being heated if you don't add oil is the water in the kernels, which can't get hot enough to burn the popcorn. If your microwave popcorn burns, says he, blame the oil.

Also in the recipe: "Oh, and if you're interested, toss a tablespoon of dark brown sugar in the bag sometime."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.