FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movies are you going to watch this weekend?

Author Topic: What movies are you going to watch this weekend?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
On-demand is so, so convenient...but all of a sudden, there aren't that many good movies to choose from. [Frown] I was just about to switch from Starz to HBO because the last time I checked, HBO had all these awesome movies...but not anymore. So now I either have to pay the on-demand fee for something (maybe X-men 3)...or (gasp!) actually leave the house to pick up a DVD.

What's good? It doesn't have to be something new...as long as it's something that's fun to watch again and again (I really like Sin City because of that).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You've seen Bring it On, I assume...

We find that movie so hilarious, we watch it three times in a sitting.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I watch that every time it comes on USA. I'm mesmerized by synchronized dancing. I don't know why.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I love that movie. I once spent a spring break watching it about five times.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring It On is in the same catagory for me as Drumline, which I also watch shamelessly whenever it comes on TBS.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm.

You got Served was the bomb.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly suggest that everyone watch Stranger Than Fiction which opens today.

[ November 13, 2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to see that just because of the Chicago setting. Lame, but whenever a movie is filmed here I feel compelled to see it no matter how good or bad it may be.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I've become so much more picky about movies since having Aerin. Since we'll have grandparents to baby-sit, Andrew and I have begun the intense negotiations on what movies we'll be seeing. I refuse to see any James Bond movies, ever, and he doesn't want to see any chick flicks.

We're thinking maybe The Fountain.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lame, but whenever a movie is filmed here I feel compelled to see it no matter how good or bad it may be.
Me, too! There are so many movies filmed at Columbia and I just have to see every one. All the Law and Orders episodes shot there, too.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
I'm tempted to see that just because of the Chicago setting. Lame, but whenever a movie is filmed here I feel compelled to see it no matter how good or bad it may be.

There is a lot of Chicago to see in it. Where are you in Chicago? I'm here, too. I'll see it with you. It is really a lovely film. I was not a Will Ferrall at all before. I am now. And Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.... movie this weekend?

I think they might show a movie this weekend in which case I'll watch my first movie in, well, ages. Somebody said we were just given Nanny McPhee. Maybe we'll see that.

Good luck finding something good to watch.

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wizard of Oz is showing on TBS tonight so Julia and I are going to snuggle on the couch with some popcorn and watch that since hubby works late on Fridays. It will be the first time for her and she is so excited.

[ November 10, 2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: MandyM ]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning to rent Donnie Darko. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, the first time seeing Oz. That's cool.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen that twisted childhood scarring movie "Return to Oz"? That movie scared the bajebus* out of me.

(*And, for jebus, who may have searched for his name and found that. Hah.)

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

They're filming something here today.

They closed down part of Carrollton and part of St. Charles. Looks like they're filming a streetcar scene. And there are like ten model-T's out on the street, too. It's so awesome.

-pH

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I strongly suggest that everyone wathc Stranger Than Fiction which opens today.
Seconded! I saw this at the Toronto International Film Festival (where it premiered). Very, very good movie [Big Grin] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching Mirrormask, and I might watch Better than Sex, but I'll probably watch Oz while playing FF12 at the same time.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching "Stranger Than Fiction" on Sunday. [Smile]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll only watch it if Will Ferrell doesn't scream and make stupid faces all through it.
Dang, he annoys me in movies. At least Jim Carrey can lay off the cappuchino and calm down a bit, but Will Ferrell is pure pixiestix with a Mountain Dew chaser and expresso hyper.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I'll only watch it if Will Ferrell doesn't scream and make stupid faces all through it.
Dang, he annoys me in movies. At least Jim Carrey can lay off the cappuchino and calm down a bit, but Will Ferrell is pure pixiestix with a Mountain Dew chaser and expresso hyper.

He is really quite restrained and "un-juvenile" in this. Sweet, actually.
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You've seen Bring it On, I assume...

We find that movie so hilarious, we watch it three times in a sitting.

Yay, me, too! It's one of my favorite bad movies.

If I actually get paid by my client, who owed me $500 as of Saturday but hasn't presented the money yet, I might go check out Marie Antoinette. I'm shooting this client's wedding this Saturday, so hopefully she'll be inspired to pay me the balance due. If she doesn't pay, then she doesn't get her photos, so that might help urge her to pony up the cash. I have $0.02 in my bank account at the moment, so I can't even order an On Demand movie. :'(

Anyway, I digress. Marie Antoinette has the potential to be screamingly horrible, or actually a pretty decent flick. Either way, I should enjoy it thoroughly.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Has anyone seen that twisted childhood scarring movie "Return to Oz"? That movie scared the bajebus* out of me.

(*And, for jebus, who may have searched for his name and found that. Hah.)

Aaa! Don't mention that film! It will give me nightmares!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko was interesting. It reminded me a bit of Sartre and Camus in certain respects -- sort of a modern take on existentialism. I think it was only that in part, though.

Great score. The soundtrack wasn't bad either.

Blockbuster had a 3-for-2 deal, and I'd also rented Downfall (haven't watched that yet, might do it today), so I picked up Garden State as well, which I'd been meaning to see. I have today off from work (it's a holiday) and all week to watch both movies, so I might spend the day playing Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones or the oustanding Gears of War instead.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to follow up on this weekend's viewing of The Wizard of Oz. My three-year-old and I had toasted hoagies and hot chocolate and snuggled on the couch to watch the movie. Julia LOVED it and is now singing "because because because because becaaaaaaaaaaaaaause" all over the house. She watched it again Saturday night. Good times.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll watch Children of Men, then Flags of Our Fathers and An Inconvenient Truth. Maybe I'll even watch The Departed again, it was so good.

I'll definitely see The Fountain when it comes out.

I didn't even know Gears of War was also a film. twinky, am I going to enjoy it if I didn't like films such as AvP?

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
For Your Consideration

[Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.