FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dwarf Fortress

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else here playing this game? Basically, it is kind of like a cross between roguelikes, dungeon keeper, and simcity. It's kind of hard to explain fully and do it any justice.

Basically, you start out with seven dwarves and a few supplies at the side of a mountain. You have to dig out your fortress, give the dwarves places to live, and get them enough food to survive the coming winter (a big challenge early on). After that, you have all sorts of cool things, like dealing with sieges by neighboring civilizations, attacks by wild creatures, demanding nobles, and getting your economy running.

The game is currently in alpha, but is remarkably stable anyways. The developer's goals are pretty ambitious, but there is already a lot to do in the game, and he has been updating frequently.

In the past couple months, I've seriously been playing this more than any other game.
Once again, it can be downloaded here. There is also a forum and a wiki if you need help (it can be pretty complicated at times).

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy ANSI graphics, Batman! It's a door! It's a door! It's a door!!! Hurray!!!

(Before all the geeks start trying to correct me, yes, I know it's not a door. It just looks like one. And if you are wondering why I'm calling it a door, well. HA!)

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

I decided to resurrect this thread to mention that the game has come a long ways since I first posted about it. Most notably, maps are now multilevel, allowing you to build some really intricate forts, and there is now a halfway decent graphics mode. It's still the same basic premise, so anyone who was completely turned off the first time probably still won't like it, but it has come along far enough that everyone else probably ought to give it a try.

The graphics need to be downloaded separately (they are all user created), and are a little simplistic, but they are better than text for those who couldn't stand the ASCII graphics. You can find information on them here.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It looked interesting. It loaded fine, and I was able to get started.

But I don't have a num pad with -/+ keys on my laptop, and therefore I can't scroll, and there's no way to change it.

Therefore, I don't like it. Sorry.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I went through a DF kick a few months back. Pretty fun, insanely complex, occasionally hilarious. The version I was playing was right before the one where they added the vertical dimension... which made my brain run screaming from the idea of updating to the new version.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

You ought to give the new version a try. It makes the game a lot more interesting, in my opinion, and isn't actually all that difficult to get used to the Z levels.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.