FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is awesome

Author Topic: This is awesome
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

Click on "Nim's Winter Tale"

Alright, I know I'm a geek, but I saw this last year for the first time and was completely captivated.

I absolutely LOVE Irish and Celtic music, and it makes me wish I would have taken up the harp or violin instead of the #*&$%! saxophone [Mad]

Oh, and Derbhail Finnegan and Ola Bergner are both geniuses.

Your opinions?

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool little flash movie. Must have taken a long time? The music fits really nice with the story and the visuals. [Big Grin]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - that IS awesome. I can't believe that was made in Flash! Gorgeous.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Cute movie. I wouldn't want to make the walk back though :-0
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
watch the other movies as well, especially "The Gooberstory."
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Delightful. [Smile]

I too love Celtic music. I kind of wish I could play the hammered dulcimer.

That was one of the nicest arrangements of “Fanny Power” by Turlough O’Carolan that I’ve heard. (I mean, Celtic music from the Baroque era! What’s not to love!) I didn’t recognize the other pieces though they were nice too.

Are you familiar with the album “Celtic Nocturnes” by Scott Hiltzik (piano) Music of Torlough O’Carolan?

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
absolutely LOVE Irish and Celtic music, and it makes me wish I would have taken up the harp or violin instead of the #*&$%! saxophone
OK! You do know that the irish flute or "penny Whistle" fingers just like a sax (there are a few cross fingerings for sharps and flats but they are really instinctive) Just pick one up and enjoy!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Kelly, see what you started. I had never heard of Dearbhail Finnagan before so I just visited her web site. Now I just have to have all of her albums and fly to Ireland for one of her concerts on Dec. 15th and 16th.

Thanks a lot! [Smile]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I originally learned to play the viola, but I got my hands on a fiddle (yes a fiddle, NOT a violin) and I'm finding it transfers pretty easy.

I know have a saxophonist friend who was able to pick up one of my penny whistles and play it like no tomorrow. He also said it was basically the same thing.

Did I mention I'm also an Irish/Celtic music nut? Fiddle, Guitar, penny whistle... now I just need one of those Irish drums and I'll be good to go [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A bodhran, you mean? Those are awesome, I learned to play when I was little but haven't picked one up in years.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.