FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most underrated Python bits

Author Topic: Most underrated Python bits
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
When two old ladies cross the English chanell to see Jean-Paul Sartre, but "Mrs. Jean-Paul Sartre" informs them that he is out distributing pamphlets saying "it's the Bourgeoisie this and the Bourgeoisie that. We never have anyone nice over for dinner."

The schoo scene in Meaning of Life, which is so much like my school as to be scarry.

quote:
Now, two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant. Now, some of you may feel that the cormorant does not play an important part in the life of the school, but I would remind you that it was presented to us by the Corporation of the town of Sudbury to commemorate Empire Day, when we try to remember the names of all those from the Sudbury area who so gallantly gave their lives to keep China British. So, from now on, the cormorant is strictly out of bounds! Oh, and Jenkins, apparently your mother died this morning. Chaplain?
The What have the Romans ever done for us sequence in Life of Brian:
quote:
But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they would adamantly insist that their naughty bits were the most underrated.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
True. They show them off enough. (Yes, you, Mr. Terry Jones.) [Big Grin]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how popular the Arthur "Two Sheds" Dent bit is, but that has always been a favorite of mine which my friends don't favor.

Edit-Apparently I've been hitchhiking too much recently.

[ November 12, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Heffaji ]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson.

Raymond Luxury Yacht.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
code:
for item in items:
#do stuff

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
"Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being opressed!"
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say it's the cloaca.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mr. Hilter sketch, which I've never heard word one about from anyone. I laughed until I cried; I don't know why but when Michael Palin started going on about Dicky old chap and nein, nein, was never head of Gestapo, I make joke, I was practically wetting my pants I was laughing so hard.

(I'm getting tears of suppressed laughter in my eyes just thinking of it.)

Same thing with the silly job interview, when John Cleese rings a bell. That one always kills me.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
"...And this is how we know the world to be banana-shaped."

"Fascinating. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes?"

"Certainly, sir -- "

This is from the Holy Grail, a conversation between Arthur and Bendavere, right before they come to Camelot. It's a bit I missed the first 20 billion times I saw it, and then one time I randomly heard it. I guess I had the sound up louder.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"This, is a birch."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was gonna be about coding???? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its about that too, take a look at my post.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
"...And this is how we know the world to be banana-shaped."

"Fascinating. Explain again how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes?"

"Certainly, sir -- "

This is from the Holy Grail, a conversation between Arthur and Bendavere, right before they come to Camelot. It's a bit I missed the first 20 billion times I saw it, and then one time I randomly heard it. I guess I had the sound up louder.

Bit off.

"This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere, explain to me again how sheeps' bladder may be employed to prevent earthquakes?"

More and more I love two parts:

Sir Bedevere - "OoooOOO!"
Sir Lancelot - "No no, ahhhhrg, at the back of the throat."
Sir Bedevere - "No no no no, oooo, in surprise and alarm."
Sir Lancelot - "Oh you mean sort of a, AHHH!"
Sir Bedevere - "Yes that's right, ahhhH!"

&

Tim the Enchanter - "He's got huge fangs, he can leap about....LOOK at the BONES!"

Or basically anything involving Tim the Enchanter.

Edit: Changed the "OOO" quote sequence, removed a line, and made it more correct. Firstly, I don't consider "oooOooo!" to be a line, so much as a sound, so I don't count it.

[ November 13, 2006, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"Okay, Devious! Don't move!"

"The Bishop!"

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sir Bedevere - "OoooOOO!"
Sir Lancelot - "No it's more of a back of the throat, ahhhhhrg!"
Sir Bedevere - "No, oooo, as in surprise and alarm."
Sir Lancelot - "Oh you mean as a sort of, um, AHHH!"
Sir Bedevere - "Yes, ahhhH!"
Brother Maynard - "Oh no! It's the dreaded black beast of AHHHHHHH!"

I'm going to be obnoxious and point out the absurdity of a certain rule but: I believe the two line rule applies here. [Roll Eyes] -- Sorry Lyrhawn, not aimed at you, ran into it in another thread just now so it's on my mind, and your post is an excellent example of exactly how absurd it is. It would require that you only post two lines of that, but nearly everyone here could quote it from memory, and often do in public with other people. But only posting two lines of it doesn't quite give the same humor or pleasure, to you or the readers.

As for some of my favorite bits:

The Camouflage Sketch ("Mr. Bradshaw cannot be seen. Mr. Bradshaw, stand up, please." *stands up* *gets shot* "This demonstrates the value of not being seen.")

The Dead Parrot Sketch ("If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies! It's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an XPARROT.")

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I changed a bit of it, but I don't consider THAT to be a violation, and here's why:

What do you consider "two lines" to be? Do you mean two ACTUAL lines, as in, whatever I can fit in from one side of the page to the other twice?

Or do you consider a line to be a single quotation?

If I change the spacing on my quote, it's less than two lines:

quote:
Sir Bedevere - "OoooOOO!" Sir Lancelot - "No it's more of a back of the throat, ahhhhhrg!" Sir Bedevere - "No, oooo, as in surprise and alarm." Sir Lancelot - "Oh you mean as a sort of, um, AHHH!" Sir Bedevere - "Yes, ahhhH!"
However, if you mean single quotes, being whatever falls between the " " marks, then I can come up with speeches that would go on for several inches of space on the thread, all said by a single person with no interruptions. Either way, I don't think my quotation violates the spirit of the rule, or in fact, literally violates it.

If PJ disagrees, I'll chop off half the quote to fit the guidelines, or more likely, the whole thing, as it really doesn't make sense with half of it gone, but I think it's within the guidelines.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want you to chop it off or change it. I hate that rule. I also think people often go overkill trying to enforce it. People call 'two line' on the things that... well like this. I suppose you could call my previous post ill conceived satire, spawned of me being up way too late.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
There are three scenes that I find myself remembering often and quoting to myself or my friends:

The Money Program sketch:
http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheMoneyProgrammeSketch

The Piranha Brothers Story. http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/ThePiranhaBrothersStory Especially these two bits:
quote:
The Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of
Doug. He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious.

and

quote:
Rogers: I understand he also nailed your wife's head to a coffee table. Isn't that true Mrs O' Tracy?
Mrs O' Tracy: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Stig: Well he did do that, yeah. He was a hard man. Vicious but fair.

Last but not least, there's the dinosaur theory sketch: http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/MissAnneElk
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The pay to have an arguement scene:

"Not necessarily, I could be arguing with you in my spare time."

Put me in stitches, what a great conclusion to a superb build up.

"Why do you want to, why do you want to, why do you, why do you, why, why ,why do you, WHY DO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE SECRET SERVICE!?"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
This is an XPARROT.")

Um... "ex-parrot", I think.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still enjoy the sheep that think they're birds bit the best.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
a couple have already been touched on:

sheeps bladders and earthquakes, and the interludes on "And now for something completely different" (i.e. the hiding in bushes thing)

notable missing points:

Fetch the Comfy Chair!

worshipping Brian's shoe in Life of Brian

Ministry of Silly Walks

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
code:
for item in items:
#do stuff

Aw man, Russell, I was totally going to do something like that, but you beat me to it. [Razz]

~JaneX~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Its about that too, take a look at my post.

Cool I wasn't the only one! [Big Grin]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.