FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Organised Religion Should be Banned, According to Sir Elton John (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Organised Religion Should be Banned, According to Sir Elton John
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
quote:
And don't forget there are plenty of atheistic people who preach hatred against gays, too).
OK, I'll bite. Who are these people? Can you give me a few examples? Can you give me one example?
Well, back when I used to play in alt.philosophy.objectivism (now humanities.philosophy.objectivism), there were a lot of people claiming that homosexuality is contrary to nature, and therefore irrational. And of course, to some Objectivists, irrational = evil.
I think that's just playing semantic games. Aside from "well, one could say that X is Y so from that point of view . . ." do you really think that anyone in that discussion was "preaching hatred"?
Um... yes. I guess you had to be there, but yes.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
It may well be that the only genetic imperative is to get one's rocks off regardless of the target and that evolution has selected for those species that primarily choose a heterosexual method for acheiving this.

It may be that homosexuality is purely a social product. What difference does it make, really, if it is? So is medicine and spaceflight. I have no vested interest in homosexuality being a purely (or even strongly) genetic phenomenon. It doesn't matter to me whether I was "born this way" or whether social conditioning made me this way, or whether it is a mix of the two (which I suspect). While the answer may be of scientific interest, it has little political interest for me. I am more than the sum of my genes and deserve to be treated with respect and to enjoy the same rights as everyone else regardless. I'm not a victim of evolution or social conditioning any more than anyone else in the world is. I celebrate whatever causes have let to the creation of me. Call it conceit if you must, but I'm far from being one of nature or societies failures.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Karl,

I think in the first statement he is speaking from an evolutionary perspective. What are strictly Darwinistic reasons for (edit:) humanity to exist? I've always been curious about that, but never enough to go look for myself.

There aren't any. What is it with people thinking that Darwinism is a moral theory? It is a purely descriptive theory of what actually happens in nature; you cannot reason from "This happens" to "That ought to happen" or "We should do this". You might as well ask for purely general-relativistic reasons for humans to exist.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
For the genetics, just think about how 2 brown eyed people might have a blond child. Or why sickle cell is still in the population at such high amounts. Of course, few things are that simple, but conceptually it should explain why the gene would be in the population. Also, a gay man might still have a child with a straight woman due to societal pressure. As far as evidence, in human genetics, you can pretty much rip apart any experiment done (sample size, inadequate controls, not enough generations, highly complex system, environmental pressures cannot be eliminated, etc). However, there is reason to believe that their is a genetic link.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand what you are saying scholar, but "there is reason to believe" is not enough.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Take the last 20 posts about Homosexuality and replace that word with Organized Religion. Resume debate.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Karl,

I think in the first statement he is speaking from an evolutionary perspective. What are strictly Darwinistic reasons for (edit:) humanity to exist? I've always been curious about that, but never enough to go look for myself.

There aren't any. What is it with people thinking that Darwinism is a moral theory? It is a purely descriptive theory of what actually happens in nature; you cannot reason from "This happens" to "That ought to happen" or "We should do this". You might as well ask for purely general-relativistic reasons for humans to exist.
Just wanted to make sure there aren't any. I generally try to ask questions about subjects I'm not certain about, rather than making bold assertations that turn out to be wrong.

I didn't think there were any reasons. That's why I couldn't really find fault with the first thing Johivian said. If you view the human species from a evolutionary perspective, then those who do not reproduce, which homosexuals in monogamous relationships would be a subset of, do not contribute to the human species.

I don't really find this a compelling argument, but from the standpoint he professes to hold, it is consistant.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but the standpoint itself rests on fallacious is-ought reasoning! Consistency is irrelevant if your axioms are clearly wrong.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The axiom that the only purpose to life is reproducing life is silly and sad.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just popping in to say I also celebrate whatever causes have let to the creation of KarlEd.

That is all.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The axiom that the only purpose to life is reproducing life is silly and sad.
Why? Personally, I agree-there is much more to life than reproduction. I don't really think the idea is silly, though.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think calling opinions silly and sad without giving a reason is simply name-calling.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We all exist to create KarlEd's would be more in the vein of silly,

Especially considering only 2 people in recorded history have fulfilled their purpose. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Okay. Honestly, do any of us really think that once a person's child bearing and raising years are past that there is no purpose to their existance? Or that people who don't reproduce have no purpose at all?

I said his axiom was silly and sad. I did not claim (as he did by implication) that there was no reason for him to exist.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Yes, but the standpoint itself rests on fallacious is-ought reasoning! Consistency is irrelevant if your axioms are clearly wrong.

If you're talking about where he goes after his opening statement then I agree with you. From my limited knowledge of the subject, I believe naturalistic moral arguments are almost a universally agreed upon fallacy. However, his opening premise brought to mind to Dawkins' works on the subjects of evolution and the meaning of life. Being a theist, I didn't necessary find Dawkin's arguments convincing either, however they do have substance to them. Of course, it may have just been the thread title that brought Dawkins to mind. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Recognizing that it's only been a few minutes, you haven't actually answered my question. You've replied with another question, which itself is pretty simply answered also.

Someone who believed that the primary (or even only) purpose to life was reproduction could well state that after their own children are born and raised and on their own, another fulfillment of that purpose would be to aid in the raising of their grandchildren, or their community's children, or taking a career that aids children, etc.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this "homosexuals have no biological purpose" argument quite a bit. I wanted to run this by you all and see what you thought. It's more a hypothesis than anything else.

Evolutionarily and biologically speaking we might consider survival of the population to be more important than the survival of our own genes. In times of overpopulation (and I do consider the world to be overpopulated), one might expect to see a rise in the number of homosexuals as a population control. I don't how I'd prove this one, but it makes a lot of sense to me on a macro level.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I say we outlaw dried up old rockers. Anything that gets rid of Mick Jagger can't be bad, right?
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

So what woul dhe being doing wasting time on the internet. Shouldn't he be out spreading his seed somewhere? Shouldn't you? Why would any of us waste time with art, philosophy, this discussion? If none of this has a purpose (unless of course, we are all here trying to hook up) what are we doing?

And, BTW,
quote:
another fulfillment of that purpose would be to aid in the raising of their grandchildren, or their community's children, or taking a career that aids children, etc.
homosexual people can do these things.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, I'm off to spread my seed. Don't wait up!"
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Evolutionarily and biologically speaking we might consider survival of the population to be more important than the survival of our own genes.
Are you sure?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
"Well, I'm off to spread my seed. Don't wait up!"

Have fun! Oops. Wait. Don't bother. Not the purpose.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
another fulfillment of that purpose would be to aid in the raising of their grandchildren, or their community's children, or taking a career that aids children, etc.
Thus, those that choose not to have children or are incapable of having children can still contribute to the human species thereby invalidating the statement, "If you view the human species from a evolutionary perspective, then those who do not reproduce, which homosexuals in monogamous relationships would be a subset of, do not contribute to the human species."

Edit: or what kmb said much more concisely with only six words.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

The children are born. It's done, whoever passed on their genes did it. Contribution over, from a genetic, evolutionary standpoint. Perhaps you could detail how it refutes this. My understanding of the theory of evolution is nowhere near complete.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

BQT, theoretically you are only "done" once those children are able to pass on their genes. Once they have kids, you're done.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
grandchildren = evolutionary success
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Makes sense, thank you [Smile] However, genetically it doesn't matter who raises the kid, so long as it reaches mating age, right? A sterile stranger could raise the kid through puberty, but still add zero of his own genes to the pool.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Rakeesh, could not the same function, given to the Grand ParentS--that of helping the community raise the children.

Having a sub-set of permanent bachelors that produce equal amounts of community work, but have fewer drains on the resources since they have no children, should result in an increase in the chances of the communities survival.

To say that homosexuals have no evolutionary place since they can not reproduce is like saying that worker bee's in a hive have no evolutionary place.

In fact, a community that contains productive but not reproductive homosexuals would out-survive a community that does not. So anti-homosexual behavior is more unnatural, and evolutionarilly dangerous and prone to be naturally deselected.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

True. But then, according to Johivin, we shouldn't be wasting resources (food,etc.) on parents once they are done popping out babies (or for men, once their last offspring is conceived as long as there was someone to raise the child.

So let's see what, according to Johivin, are people who have some justification for existance:

1)Fertile people who are actively procreating.

2) People who have children to raise up to the point where those children can join group number one.

3) Children who will join group number one.

Nope. I still shouldn't exist.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming a child had a constant supply of food/water can it be demonstrated that that child would grow up and be sufficiently able to pass on their genes?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
so.... can sterile people be as gay as they wanna be?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Me neither, since I am childless at 26 years old. I think he's dead wrong though and that there's a heck of a lot more to life. I just jumped in because from the naturalistic/evolutionary standpoint he claims to hold, his statement did more validity than it was given credit for, even if his argument wasn't sound.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
posted by BaoQingTian:
quote:
Evolutionarily and biologically speaking we might consider survival of the population to be more important than the survival of our own genes.
Are you sure?
That some might? Absolutely.

I'd argue that people have an instinct to preserve their own genes and a competing instinct to preserve their population. These two instincts sometimes work towards the same purpose, but the examples otherwise are obvious. That's why people are willing to join the army and go off and fight a war, neh?

This has strayed more into the psychological than I would have liked. I kind of assumed it would be taken as a given that, at times, there are people willing to sacrifice their own contribution to the gene pool in exchange for some benefit to the population. The how and why that leads to that behavior isn't so important to my hypothesis, merely the fact of the behavior.

*I was going to expand more on what I wrote, but I just noticed that Dan has already explicitly and implicitly touched on the points I would have made. Kudos, Mr. Raven.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Thanks, that kind of helps me see where you were coming from before. Sorry if I'm coming off as adversarial I think I'm just talking to keep me sane while writing my yearly self-evaluation.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

More in line with where Elton is coming from...

On NPR a few years ago they did an article on Gay Muslims. One of the more odd proofs that are used to prove the superiority of Islam by some supporters with limited insight is, "There are no gay Muslims." (NPR went on to interview and research the homosexual underculture in parts of the Muslim world. Its not that there are no Gay muslims, there just are not any living gay muslims who admit it.)

This thread made come up with the ultimate answer to that comment.

"There aren't any gay suicide bombers either."

(forigve me--I can't help it)

And not just because the explosive belts would clash with thier purses either.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
An uncle sacrificing himself for his nephew is an evolutionarily sound system (because the surviving genes are till closely related to the uncle). A study exists that claims sisters of gay men have higher fertility than the rest of the population. So, perhaps a gay man's evolutionary role is to insure his sister's genes survive (or his parent's grandchildren).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Does having a gay uncle increase the likelyhood of surviving long enough for your children to have children? If so, then I've got to see that study [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Does having a gay uncle increase the likelyhood of surviving long enough for your children to have children? If so, then I've got to see that study [Smile]

It does if Uncle Elton is looking out for them. With the fashion sense he will instill within your children's minds, they will have trouble NOT propagating their genes.

To say nothing of the sweet ride Elton as a car collector could hook your kids up with.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Touché.

[Big Grin]

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
grandchildren = evolutionary success

Yay! I'm a success!
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Congratulations! Beautiful child. We have no further use for you.

(kidding of course, except about the beautiful part)

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
posted by BaoQingTian:
Thanks, that kind of helps me see where you were coming from before. Sorry if I'm coming off as adversarial I think I'm just talking to keep me sane while writing my yearly self-evaluation.

Not at all. I thought your question was a fair one, and I didn't think you came off as adversarial. Good luck with your evaluation. [Smile]
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Congratulations! Beautiful child. We have no further use for you.

(kidding of course, except about the beautiful part)

Well we could always liquify her and feed her to the young, a la Matrix.

Juxapose,

Thanks, I was hoping I wasn't being a jerk. Thanks for the well-wishing as I play the corporate game. If my next raise wasn't based on it, it would be tempting in light of this thread to do it based on my genetic strengths and 'development needs.' However, the accomplishment section would pretty much be blank since I haven't genetically contributed to any children this year, nor am I anyone's gay uncle.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
... However, the accomplishment section would pretty much be blank since I haven't genetically contributed to any children this year, nor am I anyone's gay uncle.

Slacker!
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
Consider the following statement and then answer this question, “Who is more likely to make such a statement Atheists or Organized Religion? Here is the statement:

“People who do not reproduce are genetic dead ends and serve no useful purpose in terms of continuation of the species.”

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Oh man, I hear that from the folks at church enough. You've been married 3 YEARS and don't have any children yet?! (Insert their horrified gaze and my eyes rolling) Oh well, I guess I'm now an evolutionary as well as religious slacker.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I don't know any atheists on this board that would say that, Sam. Atheism is not equal to amoral. I know you're not saying that, but just thought it needed to be said.

Edit: In response to your question, I admit I can't think of a scenario where a theist would say this, but I have heard some atheists in other places say similar things.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Oh man, I hear that from the folks at church enough. You've been married 3 YEARS and don't have any children yet?! (Insert their horrified gaze and my eyes rolling) Oh well, I guess I'm now an evolutionary as well as religious slacker.

Just tell them you are trying, even if you are not [Wink]

They can't really get mad at you for God's will now can they? Too bad you don't live down in my section of Provo Bao, I'd sit next to you at church and field your questions for you.

Best of luck on your evaluation!

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Bush:

“People who do not reproduce are genetic dead ends and serve no useful purpose in terms of continuation of the species.”

"People who do not reproduce are not following God's Will and will probably go to Hell."

I heard that every Sunday at my old church.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.