FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My thumb is gushing blood.

Author Topic: My thumb is gushing blood.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
It soaked through a band-aid in about five seconds. It's currently wrapped in a wadded up tissue and two bandaids, but it burns.

Long story short, I cut myself on a pair of scissors whilst trying to seperate packing tape from a cable cord.

and it hurts, and is bleeding badly. I don't know how to stop the bleeding.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think it's deep enough to need stitches? You might want to consider going to an urgent care center.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

There IS no urgent care center I could get to. I don't have a car. And campus hospital charges waaaaay too much per visit to make it worthwhile.

It's holding up under the tissue and two bandaids. It hurts really really bad, but I can deal. If it's still bleeding in the morning, I'll go to the campus medical clinic.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, apply some ice to that since it helps to cuagulate the blood.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-cuts/FA00042

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

We also don't have ice. No room for it in the freezer.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Apply frozen foods, then?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Get towels. Fold them. Apply direct pressure. Elevate your hand over your head.

You'll be okay. Fingers bleed a lot. The Princess stuck her finger in an electric pencil sharpener a while back and it was okay.

The cold can help; if you've got frozen veggies, wrap them in a towel and use it for an ice pack.

Get a friend or roommate to help you bandage it once the bleeding slows down. Use gauze pads and tape if you can get them. Tape it really tightly.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also stick your hand in the freezer.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Elevate your hand over your head.

This can not be understated. Also, if it is really bleeding badly, avoid drinking too much water. Hope it stops soon.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
remember ICE

Ice
Compression
Elevation

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that typing is bad for it . . .
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:
remember ICE

Ice
Compression
Elevation

I think that's for a sprain. But it certainly seems to apply to this, too, doesn't it? [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you up to date on your tetanus shot? If not, go and get one in the very near future.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, Noemon.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Up to date" means within the last 10 years. They're usually given at 14 and sometimes again before you go to college, so you're likely up to date, but if you don't know it's a good idea to check or just bite the bullet and go get another.
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Pressure. It's amazing what you can make stop bleeding with enough pressure! I always clamp down on hand cuts hard with my other hand for 2-3 minutes, and then slap a bandaid or bandage on. That initial pressure really helps.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I seem to recall you saying that you do have insurance, just not for your area...how does your insurance not cover you going to the ER? If you live on campus, don't you HAVE to have some form of insurance to cover the possibility of emergency care?

Wrap that thing up really tightly. Slow down the bleeding. Is it more of a puncture wound or a...slicey wound?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a huge gush/crush on one of my fingers a couple of years ago when it got caught in the hinge area of a fire door. It was the weekend, so the campus health services wasn't open.

If you haven't done so already, wash it out with warm or cool water. If you're squimish about getting soap in a cut (I am, for some reason), put a lot of neosporin or another disinfectant in the cut, even though it's bleeding. Send one friend to the local store to get butterfly bandages, if you don't have them. In the meanwhile, use gauze and bandaids to pull the sides of the wound as close as you can. When you get butterflys, use them to pull the wound together, then, use some more gauze over that if there's still some blood leaking though. Take a pain killer (I was in shock, so it wasn't really needed), but not asprin, since that hurts the clotting process.

Unless the cut goes down close to the bone, or hits nerves, a couple of butterflys well-applied are about as effective as stiches on a finger cut.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

It's more of a sideways slicey cut. It's still bleeding, but only a little tiny bit. I'm gonna change the bandaid before I go to class.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether emergency care is covered or not. I have military insurance-Tricare. When I go to student health services, they bill ME, and I have to bill the insurance company myself. It's weird, but the insurance does end up paying for it, but only up to certain amounts. I don't think it covers large amounts of money. I'm really not sure.

I rinsed it out last night with warm water, but was told not to use soap on it.

I'm up to date on all my shots- we made sure of that before I got here.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get some medical tape and wrap it up tightly for a little while (over the band-aid), that might be good. I don't think you can leave it wrapped up all the time after it stops bleeding though. My dad always says those kinds of things "need air."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any leeches around, Tinros?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

SS- umm...no. Not going there.

Yeah, pH, as soon as it's done bleeding and has healed together a little, I'm gonna take the bandaid off. For now, though, I need to minimize the chances of anyone coming into contact with my bodily fluids. I highly doubt they want mono.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
See, a leech would keep people from coming in contact with your bodily fluids.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep a band-aid on it, even when it stops, at least for a day or two. Most cuts heal faster with a band-aid on them than with "fresh air".

Elevate, and pressure.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
And KEEP IT CLEAN. If it gets infected you could be in for trouble. Keep an eye on it. If it gets red and puffy, or feels unusually warm, or if it starts to seep any fluids, you really should see a doctor about it quickly.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, fresh air dries wounds out, which makes them heal slower and scar more. So keep the bandage on until it's nicely scabbed up, and even then leave it on until it's solid enough that taking a shower won't make it come off. I always take my bandaids off before showering once the wound is in good shape so I can get it nice and clean, and then slap one back on once I get out. With something nice and moist (like Neosporin) underneath. Works like a charm.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.