FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Microsofts' Zune, the next Ipod?

Author Topic: Microsofts' Zune, the next Ipod?
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Zune Link
The features sound pretty cool. Especially the wireless music sharing. The price is also competitive (at $249). However, from what I've seen of store models, it's not very aesthetically attractive. Also why the heck did Microsoft think people would want it in brown? So what do guys think, the Ipod killer?

Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Engadget says it all [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone say Vista! [Cry]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope so. I'm sick of everyone thinking Ipod is good.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Let's hope so. I'm sick of everyone thinking Ipod is good.

While there may be other players that are better, it is pretty undeniable that the ipod is good.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ipod Killer? No.

Ipod equilizer? Maybe.

It doesn't have to KILL the Ipod, just needs to steal a decent amount of the market. Which may in itself kill it. We'll see.

I like a LOT of its features, and you can buy black or white, or a separate skin for it, which makes the "why brown?" argument weak. Maybe UPS will buy a bunch of them for their workers [Smile] .

I think this will do well initially. The screen is big, which I think consumers will go for it(even if the pixels are the same). The wifi Zune-to-Zune transfer feature looks really cool, for music and for pictures (and movies?). I also think it's neat that it networks with nearby Zunes to see what they are listening to,a nd to tell them what you are listening to.

I wonder if that will end up being an accesspoint for a virus though. Can a malicious Zuner send a virus to your Zune, and then get it onto your computer when you sync up? I'd be worried about that.

Alright, drawbacks -

The whole sending a song to a buddy thing is temporary. When you send a song to a friend via the wifi, you can only hear it three times, then it expires, and you cant send it again.

Zune cannot be used as a storage device, iow, it isn't an external harddrive.

Frimware updates, or the next gen Zunes could possibly fix some of the problems it will have, but I think initially it will sell very well.

Edit to add: I'm waiting for Apple to come out with a game console.

[ November 14, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.