FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Wars virgin breaks duck (Spoilers)

Author Topic: Star Wars virgin breaks duck (Spoilers)
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies to slashdotters who have already seen this, but here is a link to an article written by a Star Wars virgin who lost his cherry watching all six episodes in *narrative order* I through VI.

Star Wars virgin article on ew.com

The article raises some interesting points about the assumptions made in episodes I-III affect the plot structure (i.e. "we won't bother explaining all this force business 'cause you know it already"). Another thing, and one that had never occured to me, is that the "prequels" are a pretty hefty spoiler for the original trilogy.

Does this raise issuse for future generations of Star Wars viewers?

::Spoiler (?)::

Knowing from the outset that Darth Vader is Luke's Dad will change your perception of the whoel thing.

And you'll know that luke is kissing his Sister too [Wink]

Cheers anyhow!

[ November 16, 2006, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: anti_maven ]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth Vader is Luke's dad? Dude! Could you at least slap a spoiler warning on this? You just ruined Star Wars for me!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, and leia is luke's sister.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
And Yoda is the family pet.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
What does any of this have to do with a broken duck?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars is the ultimate naked emperor. :/
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
yes, and leia is luke's sister.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[/Vader]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Doesn't Qui-Gon explain the Force to Anakin about halfway through the movie?

And yeah, I don't get that fowl joke either.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A spelling foul

[ November 16, 2006, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologise for ruining the surprise Noemon, and have duly amended the title.

As for Yoda being a pet, nothing could be further from the truth. He secretly manipulates the entire universe from his boggy lair. Scheming and plotting the downfall of his arch-enemy; Big-Bird.

"Seek for the duck that was broken;
In Imladris it dwells..."

I shall say no more in this perilous hour.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone link me to all of the pages of the article, separately? The wonderful, lovely work content filter broke the JS links and I can't figure out the article syntax.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

Page One Page Two

Enjoy!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I keep thinking of specula and the joke that ends, "but this one is eating my popcorn."
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
I apologise for ruining the surprise Noemon, and have duly amended the title.

[Smile] That was nice of you, but I was actually joking. Not knowing that Vader is Luke's father is like not knowing that the ape takes a nosedive at the end of King Kong, or that Norman Bates is actually insane, dressing up as his dead mother and killing the women who stay in his motel. I'm sure that there are scattered pockets of people who don't know these things, but they're few and far between, and have no right to complain if they hear those key details mentioned.

quote:
As for Yoda being a pet, nothing could be further from the truth. He secretly manipulates the entire universe from his boggy lair. Scheming and plotting the downfall of his arch-enemy; Big-Bird.
I thought Elmo was his nemesis. Tell me that little guy doesn't have "sith lord" written all over him.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

Hi Noemon, - I sort of figured you were pulling my leg - but you had a point. You never know. I certainly don't... [Wink]

As for Elmo. Hmm the image of a "Tickle-Me Sith Lord" just doesn't ring true, but maybe that is just the devilish cunning of a true evil genius.

The truth is, that for me Yoda will always be Fozzie Bear: "The comedian wearing a necktie is. Mmm. Wacka wacka wacka!"

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was only a couple of minutes before my first Jar Jar Binks sighting, and I found myself wondering: Why does he sound like a Jamaican Elmo?
quote:
For the newer Episodes, you can practically see George sitting at his Mac on top of his pile of money and giggling as he types lines line ''Whoa, that's tense'' and ''How rude!'' I looked it up and he was never a writer for Full House, which means he came up with those ditties all on his own.
[ROFL]

I have to say, that was quite enjoyable. But I can understand what he means about there being no twists and turns in the plot, seeing it in narrative order. Still, I think one day I really need to do that. 14 hours of Star Wars in a row would be absolutely amazing!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it last year. Great fun. The movies altogether were pretty seamless. Some slight inconsistancies (even with the special edition dialog edits). But over all, a lot of fun. Gonna do it again probably in the next 6 mo.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My friends and I get together once a year (usually in December) to watch all the LOTR EEs straight through.

Now that is a blast. I can't get them to do Star Wars though. Not big enough fans, the losers. [Wink]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that with the Back To The Future movies, at the theater. It made for one long night.

It also makes me a certified dweeb.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm pretty sure you were a dweeb well before you were actually certified Dan.

[Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but now he's a certified dweeb. He gets discounts on masking tape and slide-rulers.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
or that Norman Bates is actually insane, dressing up as his dead mother and killing the women who stay in his motel.
[Confused]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
So...was the duck broken just like in Click?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only heard "breaking the duck" as a sports term. When a team first scores, it no longer has 0, or a duck's (or goose's, more commonly used here in the US) egg.

I suppose it could be stretched to include doing anything for the first time.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Lyrhawn's explanation. Then again...
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
When I hear "virgin" and "breaking the duck" in the same sentence, I gotta figure somebody was clamping down.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
As for Elmo. Hmm the image of a "Tickle-Me Sith Lord" just doesn't ring true, but maybe that is just the devilish cunning of a true evil genius.

Yep the sickeningly sweet, perpetually 3 year old thing is just a ruse. It's like when Palpatine was pretending to be a kindly, wise leader of the republic. Those "dolls" are actually clones of Elmo, held in stasis until his plans for world dominion are ripe. Then millions of households will discover that what they actually own are "Force Choke" Elmos.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "Star Wars Virgin" and thought of someone was really INTO star wars... not someone who had never seen it.. [Razz]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
When I hear "virgin" and "breaking the duck" in the same sentence, I gotta figure somebody was clamping down.

And was an absolute Kegel exercise maniac.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.