FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Upset with Dune...

Author Topic: Upset with Dune...
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, when I read the original Dune, I absolutely LOVED it. I never did get around to reading the "Children of Dune" though. Recently, however, I've started expanding what I'm willing to "read" since I'm doing alot of "books on tape (CD's)" through the library to occupy me during my long commutes and dull times at work.

Recently, I started a couple of Dune books. I listened to the first book of "The Butlerian Jihad" trilogy and am, unfortunately, having to read the 2nd, because the library lost the CD's to it. It's ok, but really NOTHING near as good as the original.

What is more disappointing is the "Book 7" that I'm listening to. Supposedly this is the last one that Herbert left notes for before he died, but they only just found them, or something like that. There was a very long prolog before the book detailing how the son, and some other guy (Anderson, I think) were talking about the book, and wanting and not wanting to write it... very boring. They also mentioned that they thought they had been "influenced" by Herber's writing style. I just can't see it. I mean, the book isn't THAT bad, as far as books go, but it's definitely not GOOD either. I just don't understand how they can claim the Dune series is one of the best ones out there when most of the books weren't even written by the original author.

The original was good, but I'm having a hard time buying alot of the stuff in these more recent additions. Is there something I'm missing?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like you're missing the books in the actual Dune series. Herbert wrote several, all the way up to Chapterhouse: Dune. When most people talk about "the Dune series," those are the books they mean.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty simple breakdown. The ones that Frank Herbert wrote were varying degrees of good, although they declined as the series went on.

Then Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson came along and wrote prequels that were complete crap.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think when most people discuss the Dune series, they're only referring to the books actually written by the elder Herbert. The later books are kind of fun and pulpy, and interesting because you learn some back story, but they're not in the same category as the original series.

At the same time, I loved the first book, was pretty happy with the second, and got bored half way through the third. Excellent writing, but the story started to drag for me.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with MightyCow for the most part. The Herbert/Anderson books are fun, but not as great as the orginal books.

My favorite was Children of Dune. The last three of the orginal series got pretty hard to follow, and it didn't help that the characters changed in almost every book.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, actually, the more I think about it, I have a hard time categorizing Chapterhouse: Dune as good.

Still a hundred times better than the prequels, though. The writing style hurt me to read.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I only read the first of the prequels, but the writing just screamed Kevin J. Anderson to me. I find it difficult to believe that Brian Herbert even did any writing in it, and I suspect that his name is mostly there to add credibility. I read Brian Herbert's Prisoners of Arionn, which was actually quite decent, and the style was nothing like Anderson's.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Random thought to add to that... has Geoff Card ever written anything? Is writing style related at all to genetics? It doesn't seem like it would be, but it would be interesting to know.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I had about as much fun reading Chapterhouse: Dune as I did reading The Silmarillion.

Jes' sayin'.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes he has.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and by the way, The Silmarillion is a very difficult pick to get in Charades.

It is impossible to act out, and it sounds like nothing.

So, I put it in the hat for the other team to pick. [Evil]

Other Team: "It's a book!" "Two Words!" "First Word -- it's a small word!" "The!" "Second Word!" "Five Syllables!" "The Silmarillion!"
[Eek!]

That's what I get for hanging with such a geeky set in college.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, can I hang out with your friends? I'm convinced mine would have guessed "The Hobit...ititit" [Frown]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy all the Dune books but for different reasons. The Frank Herbert ones are a bit better written and they're more thought provoking or something along those lines. The Kevin Anderson/Brian Herbert ones are fun to read but they don't provoke as much thought. They're sort of action-oriented with no real subtlety. I still like them though as they are a fun read, particularly when I just want to sit down, relax, and read.

EDIT: Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert have never actually said they tried to emulate Frank's writing style. Quite the opposite actually; they admitted early on that they couldn't match or compare to Frank's style and so they weren't going to try. Instead the books they wrote were going to be in their own style, and they hoped it would be enjoyable still.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

They said they were "influenced" by his style. Personally, I didn't see any influence at all. They were completely transparent. I'm glad you still had fun with them though. I agree that they are very "action oriented", but I guess that's what bores me about them. I've seen more intereting plots in Star Wars books (though admitedly, none of the recent ones).
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "God Emperor Dune" was the best...and I really enjoyed "Chapterhouse". I liked seeing how the BG are the last remnant of the old Empire.

The new prequel Dune books are horrible... plot is interesting but the writing is bad, imo.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune - excellent
Dune Messiah - decent
Children of Dune - snore

Gave up after that. Read the synopses of the others at wikipedia. Felt justified in choice.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

"why are you on the Dune set?"

"Because I'm Picard!"

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
It took a long time, but I finally pinpointed my particular distaste for the prequels.

They read like an encyclopedia.

There was a certain condition that had to be filled, and it became rote color by number to get there. Honestly, it would have taken superb writing and nearly superhuman finesse to make them great (or even good) literature. Honestly, Tolkien didn't even accomplish it with Silmarillion. I enjoyed reading all the above mentioned books, but only because I was starved for any little bit of the universe.

Also, Dune is by far the best read for me, and upon my last reading of the series I decided that Children of Dune is my second favorite. I was somewhat shocked by that...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dune is probably my favorite as well. After that I would say either Children of Dune or God Emperor Dune. Both are really good and I enjoyed them quite a bit. For some reason I've had a hard time getting through Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. I need to finish those at some point so I can actually read Hunters of Dune, which has been sitting on my shelf since around the time it came out.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
At different times I thought one or another book from the original series was my favorite. That won't happen with any prequels or sequels by KJA and BH. They are just there to fill in the blanks but are nowhere near the quality of the original series. I suggest reading Frank's books till the end. Reread them if you have to - I did because there were a lot of things I didn't get the first time. But they are all worth it, which can't be said of the "new" ones.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ones that Frank Herbert wrote were varying degrees of good, although they declined as the series went on.
Just want to disagree with this. 'God Emperor' is by far my favorite Dune novel, followed by 'Dune', then 'Chapterhouse'... The others are all about equal, in my mind.

This is all, of course, personal preference.. But 'God Emperor' is just SO, so good.

And I like the new Dune series, but only if I actually pretend it's not really part of the real Dune series. Interesting in many ways -- but compared to what Frank Herbert wrote, very pale and clumsy.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Dune was to the rest of its series as Ender's Game was to the rest of its series. They both can stand alone and are considered to be some of the best Science Fiction writen, and the rest of the books in the series pivot around the first.

I forced myself to read all six of the Dune series this summer. I had attempted previously and usually stopped around God Emperor, but tuckered in and read the entire series. I thought that they were all good, especially when taken as a whole.

Parts of me wants to read the newer Dune books, but another part of me says "Are you kidding? Are you really expecting anything good from them? Just forget about it, man."

Wow, that other part of me must be some sort of skater dude...

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.