FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Am I a lurker? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Am I a lurker?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to make a thread all about me, but I'm procrastinating on my homework, and I really am curious. Inspired by a conversation with Lyrhawn, in which we were trying to determine my Hatrack status these days, do the rest of you consider me a lurker now? I definitely don't post nearly as much as I used to, and Lyr, who joined 2 years after me, or something, is now approaching the same number of posts as I have. I don't have lurker status in that my post count isn't that low... because I used to post quite often. But I really haven't posted that much recently.

How does one actually become a lurker? Is there merely a boundary crossed from frequent posting to gradual departure? Have I crossed that line? Newbies, do you know who I am? How many people on this forum actually know "Raia"?

I'm just curious. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who are you again?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you. You are SO not a lurker!

Sheesh!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, lurker definition depends on how much you read as well as how much you post. You haven't been posting much lately. If you still read a lot (every day, most threads, or even catch up a couple of times a week) I would call you a lurker. If you're just busy with other things and don't come here much to read or post, than I would call you an occasional user or something rather than lurker.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
[Razz]

[Kiss]

Lurkers don't start threads. Ergo, you are not a lurker.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, silly!!!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a lurker since day one and you, my dear, are no lurker.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Do you look like this?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it from a real lurker....I've been around since I think April of 2001 (under this name and Urbanx) and I'm pretty sure I'm almost anonymous. Everyone knows you....
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ElJay said, plus, you were a bit when you didn't post at all until your birthday, but right now, while you are posting a bit, no.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:
I don't know. Do you look like this?

I'm dating one of the Zerg? What would the other Terrans say?
Posts: 21897 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Mr. Funny: My hair's a bit longer, but that's not bad...

WIP: I know who you are too! And I'm sure most other people do as well.

(edit: Didn't see Lyrhawn's post... yes, my dear, I thought you knew... [Wink] )

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

I'm a lurker. [Razz]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your average posts per month (ppm) look to be about 150.

I sit at about 7ppm and mish there has about 3ppm.

Those surpassing you include but are not limited to Dagonee at 432ppm, Rivka at 462ppm and Tante Schvester a whopping 465ppm.

I think you are safe from lurker status [Razz]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wait, wait, wait. How can Dags' rate be less than mine? He joined after I did, and has a higher postcount.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you misread calaban.

As for the topic, all I can say is that if you are a lurker, I'd hate to think of what I'm considered.

Posts: 2383 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raia, even I know who you are, so you can't possibly be a lurker.

I, on the other hand, probably am.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say I am an unequivocal lurker. You, Raia, are not. Yay!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody I've met in person is allowed to be a lurker. So THERE!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I've been thinking the same thing. I used to post a lot, but now, not so much. But you, Raia, are definitely a lurker. Not in the least.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say you're in a stage of lurking, not that you are a lurker.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered the same thing about myself, though I've been on a spree due to work avoidance this weekend.
Posts: 13679 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember you, Raia. I think 7,126 posts is enough to make you a regular. I have accumulated 53 (54 now!) posts in the past five years, although most of that is because I simply wasn't here at all for a while. Still, you seem to be known and I definitely remember you from way back.

I remain nameless.

EDIT: to get the post count right. Also to say that means I registered when I was 13, back before the youth section was detonated one lonely night...hmm...how time flies.

[ November 19, 2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Satlin ]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a lurker.

BOO!!

-Bok

Posts: 6991 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::drops laptop::

[Angst]

Posts: 13679 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you're real, and you've conveyed realness on others, you can't be a lurker.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think anyone can become a lurker through the simple expedient of not posting. They can cease to be a lurker by posting again.

In general, I think an average of one post per day qualifies you for "non-lurker" status.

Posts: 37413 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Lifetime, or over a given period?
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm at 6.8 PPD lifetime.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over a given period. Someone could post thirty times a day for a week and a half, but if they didn't post at all for the next five months, they'd still be a "lurker" during the period of inactivity.
Posts: 37413 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or not. [Wink]
Posts: 15080 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like the Hatrackian version of the Council of Nicea.

How does the Gospel of Lurker go again?

Posts: 21897 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I tried to look up my recent posts, to see how often I was posting in the weeks before this weekend, but I've posted over fifty times just this weekend, and I couldn't see anything older than that. Then I noticed that there is an option to see just the threads you have started. That was fascinating. I start very few threads, so my list of fifty threads goes back over a year and a half. And so many of my threads are so personal that it was like reviewing the last year and a half of my life. I saw the thread I started when my grandmother passed away, the one I started when one of my daughters read her story, and several religious question threads. Oh, and a handful of dobies. [Big Grin] It was a really neat way to stand back and get an overview of the things I cared enough about to start threads on, yaknow?
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question, I've seen the term "real" thrown around a few times, like it is some sort of qualification of a person who posts here. What makes a Jatraquero "real", is it a post count thing or are you nominated or what?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've met at least two other "real" hatrackers.

According to Tom's definition I think I've been a lurker most of the time I've been on hatrack. I've never felt like a lurker, though.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, your average is two posts per day . . .
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a lurker, and my post avg is what... 6 a day?

Although... on reflection I have checked the length of some of my more enthusiastic posts with a word processor, and they have weighed in at up to 5 pages, so I guess maybe I am getting more out of my post count than some people might.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I average 1.5 posts per day, but according to Jhai I can't be a lurker. Sweet.

Well, almost. Does anyone want to meet so that I can convey realness onto them?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whiffles*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skruesch
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for skruesch   Email skruesch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a true lurker because I have not posted anything since 2001! Although I do pop in to be entertained by the rest of you at least a couple times a week. I believe that qualifies me as the quintessential lurker. [Smile]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lurking up behind.

Err. I mean I'm behind on my lurking.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Some interesting points. I'm glad to know that most do not consider me a lurker. [Smile]

I am very honored, skruesch, that your first post since 2001 is in my thread! [Wave]

Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Well, I'm a lurker, and my post avg is what... 6 a day?

Orincoro - I've seen you in far too many threads for you to count as a lurker. Really, that should be the standard definition of a lurker - if I know who you are (in that vauge, intraweb sense), then you aren't a lurker.

Raia, since I know where you live, you're about as real & non-lurkery as they come.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stalker.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no that's me.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Lurk Skywatcher.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raia, if you're a Lurker, I'm an ubber one ;-)
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I don't know... so far everyone who's said "I'm more of a lurker than you!" has been someone whose name I've recognized. [Razz]

Either nobody is a lurker, or we all have some sort of union!

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, maybe, we just lurk and de-lurk roughly at the same time, hehehe.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.