FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scarlet Johansson: the feminist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scarlet Johansson: the feminist
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
We can all be equally irresponsible?

Yes.

I don't share your "gah" sentiment, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I know some people here believe all premarital sex is wrong.

Even more broadly, plenty of people here believe that all nonmarital sex is wrong.

I agree with the point you're making. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it could be because it's difficult to reasonably concieve of a situation where someone must have sex or else suffer dire consequences.

Unless, of course, you are talking about rape. There actually are exceptions to the no-nonmarital-sex rule: if it is against your will, there is no blame or sin attached whatsoever.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. Are you saying the belief that nonmarital sex is wrong (with exceptions) may stem from the severity of certain possible outcomes?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

No, I'm saying that in cases where other serious sins are seen as less serious, then THAT comes from the severity of certain possible outcomes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I'm sorry, I still don't understand. [Frown] I'm tired, muddled, and possibly getting sick -- maybe I'm just slow today. Can you clarify some more?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think kat is referring back to blacwolve's post, where she says:

quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. It seems like in our society most moral wrongs are not universal moral wrongs. Very few people would say killing, or stealing, or lying are wrong no matter what. The debate over US torture is really a debate over whether or not torture is a universal wrong. But sexual immorality is considered a universal wrong by everyone who considers it a wrong in the first place.
kat is saying most people can concieve of situations where killing, stealing, or lying are the more moral choice, because the alternatives are worse. But if you take as a given that non-marital sex is wrong, like lying or stealing is wrong, it's a lot harder to come up with a situation where the alternatives to not having sex are "worse."

Is that a valid reading of your posts, kat? [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, that's it exactly, ElJay. [Smile] I apologize for not being clear about what I was referencing.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, okay. It makes sense now. Thank you for the explanation. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Fighting a visual of TomD giggling....

....and losing that fight.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I think that it could be because it's difficult to reasonably concieve of a situation where someone must have sex or else suffer dire consequences.

Unless, of course, you are talking about rape. There actually are exceptions to the no-nonmarital-sex rule: if it is against your will, there is no blame or sin attached whatsoever.

Unless, of course, you live under Sharia Law or your family is composed of Islamic fanatics. In which case, it the rape victim's fault for making herself available or attracting the attacker.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mig: Oh come on!

All you gotta do is supply *four* male eye witnesses not related to you to say it was rape and you're ok! (well, maybe ok.)

And we all know how easy that is.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mig:
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Unless, of course, you live under Sharia Law or your family is composed of Islamic fanatics. In which case, it the rape victim's fault for making herself available or attracting the attacker.
But then again with how much flesh your average extremist female is displaying you'd think men would drift towards homosexuality. Its no wonder it must be the woman's fault if a man can get excited enough to try anything.

edit: In retrospect I thought I should note that I am being purely facetious as the last two posts sorta rubbed me the wrong way.

[ November 27, 2006, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they rub you the wrong way?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yes, why?

I don't agree with Sharia law at all - I meant what I said in my post.

What are you objecting to?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharia law has nothing to do with women who are raped being killed. That's stupid human behavior completely separate from the law.

According to Sharia law, the victim of a rape should never be punished, but the aggressor should.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Scarlett's line is like the Left's equivalent of George H. W. Bush's that if Bill Clinton had his way, we'd be "up to our ears in spotted owls and out of work for every American." (See An Incovenient Truth.)
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.