FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's wrong with a child? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's wrong with a child?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
If only so many controversies of the world were so easily settled! *smile
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
It comes when kids are forced to sit in a chair and attempt what is to them rather difficult and boring learning all day with little or no chance to run around outside and play.
Although I strongly agree that ADD is hugely over-diagnosed, I do believe that it does exist. There's a big difference between a child being restless, disbehaving, unattentive in a class than a child being completely out-of-his/her-mind unable to concentrate for five seconds.

I say that in the most kindly way possible.

Some kids haven't learned to pay attention; they haven't been taught to spend time on one thing for an extended period. Others are bored with the particular thing (say, reading) but are super focused with something else (say, lego). Others are active kids and need to move or wiggle.

However, there are kids, very occaisionally, who simply cannot sit still, metaphorically. They cannot listen to instructions: an active kid might hop up and down but will be able to play a game. In my experience, a kid who cannot maintain interest in anything, reading, lego, games, toys, instructions, television, stories, his own problems, eating, might have ADD.

I'd be very wary of an ADD diagnosis that did not include viewing the child in a natural environment.

I don't have time to read the article (class!!!) but regarding this 'oppositional' disorder... yes there are children who are severely messed up. Many of them. In my experience, this almost always reflects back on the parenting (not parents, parenting).

I have a lot to comment on in this post.

First, I think there are a lot of interrelated issues in kids who can't concentrate in school that are rarely touched on. The number of kids who are on ADHD meds during school yet not during vacation should prompt school administrators to look at why kids can't concentrate. Any number of factors- flourescent lights, poor school lunches, lack of recess and PE, and yes, a boring and unengaging curriculum.

Kids need a good breakfast, a good lunch, lots of exercise, and a teaching style that honors kinesthetic learners.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, hit add reply too soon.

quote:
I'd be very wary of an ADD diagnosis that did not include viewing the child in a natural environment.

Yes, I totally agree

quote:
I don't have time to read the article (class!!!) but regarding this 'oppositional' disorder... yes there are children who are severely messed up. Many of them. In my experience, this almost always reflects back on the parenting (not parents, parenting).
I know many wonderful parents whose children have ODD as part of their dx. (By part of, I mean as an adjunct to bipolar or another disorder, but not a discreet dx. I have never met anyone whose child had ODD as a discreet dx and am personally somewhat wary of it.)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That article hit too close to home. I am not going to comment any more on it lest I become really, really upset.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was another abortion thread based on the subject.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Oops, hit add reply too soon.

quote:

Yes, I totally agree

quote:
I know many wonderful parents whose children have ODD as part of their dx. (By part of, I mean as an adjunct to bipolar or another disorder, but not a discreet dx. I have never met anyone whose child had ODD as a discreet dx and am personally somewhat wary of it.)

I haven't seen it as a standalone, either. It sure seems to glom onto Tourette's and bipolar, though. [Smile]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.