FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My son is reading Ender's Game

Author Topic: My son is reading Ender's Game
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's here at work with me this afternoon (got out early for parent-teacher conferences), and neglected to bring something to do. I happen to have EG here (long story), and figured he would like it.

And since he'll be ten in a couple months, and is an advanced reader (quite!) . . .

He started less than two hours ago, and is on page 102.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I don't think anyone should ever be required to explain why they happen to have a copy of Ender's Game around, no matter where they are. It's self evident. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I realized that my old copy of EG has become lost or packed away, so I bought another to force on my girlfriend. She enjoyed it, as should all good and wholesome people.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, yeah. Except I don't generally read books at work.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Awesome.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure you're ready to deal with the intellectual development that is sure to follow reading that book?

Kids get more difficult to manage the smarter they get.

[Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Because I haven't had that problem until now? [Wink]
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
You remember in the movie Conspiracy Theory, where the protagonist had to buy Catcher in the Rye every time he saw it in any store? That's how I feel with Ender's Game. I feel like I need to own as many as possible so that I can give them all away. [Smile]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew my Isabel was the perfect match for me the moment she spontaneously picked EG in my bookshelf (without me forcing it on her), read it and said she loved it. :-)))

Congrats on your son, Rivka!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
What a proud moment! [Smile]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

He made it up to about page 170 before his dad came to pick him up. And I quizzed him on what he had read, and he really knew it.

[Big Grin]

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations rivka! You should buy him a present or something to congratulate him on this momentous occasion in his life.

I remember when I first saw Enders Game. I got to pick off of a list of about 30 books and Enders Game just seemed to light up. Like ... destiny was drawing me to it. *sigh*. Good times.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh . . . the birth of a convert . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gums
Member # 9874

- posted      Profile for gums   Email gums         Edit/Delete Post 
Does he have a little brother or sister? Watch the language when they are together, as kids like to copy behavior they "see" in books and movies.

I have this feeling it is a sore spot with Card, but while the language in the story is probably realistic, it does set a limit on who can and should read what is a great story.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And what is is Hatrack handle going to be? I mean, if he finishes reading the book and doesn't joing Hatrack within 36 hours--kablooey.

Well, that's how it was explained to me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

gums, first of all, welcome to Hatrack! [Smile]

This is the 1985 reissue, which had some of the language edited. It's actually the only version I've ever read (this is the same copy Diana, who occasionally posts here, gave me almost 20 years ago), which explains why I was so confused about the language issue when I heard about it.

Anyway, he's a bright kid, and knows his goose would be cooked if he used language I wouldn't like on his older OR younger sister.

Dan, my kids aren't allowed online. And there were about 15-20 years between my reading the book and joining Hatrack, and I seem to have survived.

Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow rivka, you're blessed with a very talented son. Keep encouraging him to read. I'm sure he will be very grateful later on in life (if not sooner). I for one wish my parents pushed me to read.

The class novels I got in elementary school were terrible so I wasn't in a hurry to look up any fiction, and the science and history subjects were so simple and text-book driven that I never had to look up any non-fiction either. I had to develop research habits and pick up leisure reading later on in middle and high school. I would be many times better off if I had started when I was 10. [Smile]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by gums:
Does he have a little brother or sister? Watch the language when they are together, as kids like to copy behavior they "see" in books and movies.

I have this feeling it is a sore spot with Card, but while the language in the story is probably realistic, it does set a limit on who can and should read what is a great story.

I'm not a parent, but I can't imagine this would be a problem. The language used is not similar at all to teen/preteen slang these days. I read the book when I was 12, an age when I picked up every new speech mannerism my friends brought to school, but I never picked up anything from EG. I did ocassionlly make jokes with other friends who'd read the book, but they were nothing I incorporated into my daily speech. And most of the jokes related to "cover you butt" and it's not like preteens don't use that word enough already.
Ah, middle school... somewhere between the lame jokes, the actual meaning of Ender's Game DID penetrate my mind...

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Keep encouraging him to read.

Like his older sister, and his mother, he never needs to be encouraged to read. Just provided with adequate and appropriate reading material.

And encouraged to occasionally do something OTHER than read. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.