FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is making me so angry...

Author Topic: This is making me so angry...
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
That it's hard to put into coherent words.

WARNING: Complaining ahead

Yesterday, when my parents and brother were watching the news, the Michael Richards video came on.

My older brother as some very bigoted views, which was a huge reason that I wasn't really looking forward to coming home for Thanksgiving break. When the news was over, I overheard him say something about how Richards should have yelled at someone to get the idiot out of there instead of exposing his racist beliefs. This morning, my mom even came to me and told me how he had wondered why Richards would say something like that.

You have no idea how naievely happy this made me feel. I felt much better about staying home for break because for once, I might not have to put up with that from him.

I'm not a COMPLETE idiot, I knew this was probably too much to expect from him, but any hint that a loved one might change their ways is a welcome one, no matter how small that hint is. Tonight I heard them making fun of some commercial for being racially diverse. This angered me even more his usual bigotry because now it feels like he's let me down in some way. I really, really wish that there was some way to change his attitude. I love him with all my heart and he's a good person otherwise, but at times I hate the person he is.

Please understand that I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy, neither do I mean to whine. I feel a little foolish for even posting this, but there is really nowhere else I can say it.

Thanks for reading [Smile]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] My dad is somewhat bigoted as well, so I understand where you're coming from. The best thing to do is politely counter what he says when you feel strong enough to stand up to him (doing that to a loved one can be awful hard), and just leave the room or completely ignore it when you don't want to be confrontational.

I'm getting married to an Indian (of the South Asian kind) this winter, so I might be leaving the room quite a bit come Christmas.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally poke fun at these types of commercials, too, because the diversity is so calculated. It's like they plug in the number of people in some calculator and get the racial makeup back. It screams marketing ploy to me.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
I personally poke fun at these types of commercials, too, because the diversity is so calculated. It's like they plug in the number of people in some calculator and get the racial makeup back. It screams marketing ploy to me.

To me, it usually screams "we don't want to face a BS lawsuit."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally poke fun at these types of commercials, too, because the diversity is so calculated. It's like they plug in the number of people in some calculator and get the racial makeup back.
The Daily Show poked fun at that a little bit a few weeks ago. They illustrated the racial makeup of some group using a picutre of the cast of Lost. X percent white, Y percent hispanic, Z percent black, I percent asian, J percent hot arabs, and K perecent black smokey tentacles.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.