FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 5 am and the lines are too long (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 5 am and the lines are too long
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I realize all that. I also am not crazy about the idea of buying up consoles to ebay them, although I realize that's the way the market works. I was just relating my experience, and letting you know that from it, your brother might have been correct about there not being a line at the mall when he went by.

And I certainly didn't say I had shown up 10 minutes beforehand, I was there for 10 hours, with no intention of buying anything myself. I don't recall anyone on this thread say they got one easily, either, although I didn't go back and check. Enig tried to get one on launch day, and didn't manage to, and has been looking ever since as well.

Regardless, it's not a sign of anything on your part, as everyone's retail conditions are different. Personally, I wouldn't have waited at a general retailer of any kind today, since there were so many other people there for other things. Enig thought an EB/Gamestop was the way to go, and I agreed. There was a Target across the street from where we were waiting that opened at 6, and the line up in front of it was just frightening, and when the doors opened. . . you couldn't have paid me enough to be in that line.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if we'd've known where you could waltz up at 7 AM and pick one up, don't ya figure we would have done that ourselves?
I was shocked at the amount of people showing up just before 5am and being genuinely surprised that there was already a long line of people waiting. what world do they live in?

These two older women showed up just before we were being let in and were talking to a group of younger kids towards the front who had been selling vouchers for the big ticket items for like $50. Anyway, some people behind me in line start yelling at two ladies to get them to go the back and wait like everyone else. The two woman responded, like they were annoyed at being reprimanded, that they knew and that everyone should just calm down. Then as everyone starts being let in they try to just sneak into line about a group ahead of me, but no one noticed. Instead of just saying something to them individually, I relied on the mob and really loudly said, "EXCUSE ME, PLEASE DON'T CUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE, WE'VE BEEN WAITING A WHILE." The uproar from behind me was fantastic.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was shocked at the amount of people showing up just before 5am and being genuinely surprised that there was already a long line of people waiting. what world do they live in?
The same world I live in, apparently.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

you couldn't have paid me enough to be in that line.

I was in THAT line [Wink] It reminded me of Hong Kong growing up, seriously, its like that in alot of places.

Strider: At Target about 30 minutes before door opening we had this group of 15 people all merge into the front to, "join" their 5 family members holding their place in line. All of us behind them got pretty mad and determined that nobody else was going to pull that same stunt. One of the old men who cut in front of us walked over to where Tiffany and I had deposited our sleeping bags (for warmth) and started draping it on himself. Tiffany walked up to him and said, "Excuse me but those are ours, you cannot just take them." He responded with, "Oh please just for 5 minutes." I told Tiffany, "You realize we are never going to see that bag again." and 5 minutes later she walked over and got him to surrendor it, which he finally did.

5 minutes later (15 minutes before doors) the brother of this old man's daughter shows up and tries to cut. A line of women who had formed to stop cutters stopped her and there was a pretty heated arguement. Basically she said she had just come from Toys R Us to help her father who is old to get the items he wanted. The women volunteer security force pretty much said what all of us were thinking and repulsed the girl who left saying, "Thats very white trash of you." She went to security and he came back with the girl to see what was going on. The women explained that the girls father as well as a bunch of his family had cut in front of us 15 minutes ago and all of us had simply had enough.

The security guard said to the girls father, "Sir I am going to have to ask you to get back in line where you were, you can't cut." The father responded with, "What?! Everyone in the front of this line cut!" The angry uproar that ensued was pretty awesome to behold, at least 30 people listening in all said things like,

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

"Some of us have spent the night here!"

"Some of us have been here since 3:00am!"

and

"ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think the man was kinda scared, but one of the women said "look we are ok with them being here, but we won't take anymore cutters." Which I thought was more then generous. The guard agreed and asked the girl to go back to original place in line, she left with one of those apologies where its really an insult, you know, "Sorry I argued with you, but it was because you were being so unreasonable" and stormed off.

8 minutes later the doors opened and I think I can agree with the sentiment that I will never work retail on black friday. Oh....My....Goodness.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was me! Hence this thread [Blushing]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks up at no one in particular and whistles*

I often spend all day (6-9 hours) shopping at the mall or IKEA with my two young children, and they enjoy it (at least the older one does and the younger one likes going places and looking around.) I've never had any complaints about them.

And yes, babysitting is AT LEAST $10/hour-- for one kid. Add more children and more duties, it can be as much as $18/hour.

*continues whistling and looking at no one in particular*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since we're all going to be such grown-ups and talk about people to their faces, perhaps you weren't who I was talking about if you actually took thirty seconds to read my post, as I specifically mentioned parents who let their kids run rampant.

But you go ahead and keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to feel good about belittling people on the internet.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked yesterday from 5A.M.-10 AM and then from 5-9:45 at Staples. The store opened at six and so I was kind of surprised to see some people standing outside when I walked up at 4:55 (note- this is my first experience ever with Black Friday).

I was extremely nervous a few days ago- but this was so well organized that there were only a glitch here or there. The customers were all very nice. People at the front would hand them a ticket- it would be either green or red (red ticket was the bigger and more tech complicated items while the green were less complicated).

They'd hand me a ticket I'd get them the product (all of them within 2 steps of me). Biggest problem was a problem with ticketing over people wanted DVD+R or DVD-R. And a few people would try and hustle you. But that's normal.

Working Back To School was a lot worse.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured back to school wouldn't be as bad. It's usually around tax free week, and since it's a whole week...you'd think people wouldn't be so frantic.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It was funny last year when I worked in MA.

People came in and said " I HAVE to get my school clothes this week, it is No-Tax week!". I replied "You DO know that MA doesn't ever tax clothing, right?", and over half of them didn't believe it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, I was NOT responding to your original post. I was AGREEING WITH WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAID.

Why do you assume I was responding to you? I was trying to be polite since you assume everything said on the subject in this thread is an attack on you, by specifically indicating that I was talking to NO ONE IN PARTICULAR.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that "*looks up at no one in particular and whistles*" could be interpreted as a passive-agressive reference to pH. It just doesn't sound as if you were seriously saying you weren't talking about pH, and instead you wanted to hint that your post was directed at her. I actually interpreted it that way before seeing your latest post, and I think that's how pH interpreted it as well.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was trying to avoid everyone's stuff while agreeing with what some people said. I've done it before and no one has ever jumped on me for it.

I think I am not the one being unreasonable.

Although, I could be wrong, since I tend to be this time of the month (and it's the third week of this time of the month.) So I'm sorry if I am.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.