FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Myths About The Developing World"

Author Topic: "Myths About The Developing World"
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I got bored and was wandering around Google Video when I came upon this.

It's pretty long (20min), but I found the layout of the information incredibly accessible (considering what it is) as well as relevant to the way I view the rest of the world.

Basically, the state of developing countries vs others is graphed with regards to their child mortality, income, longevity, and even internet use (to name a few). The disparity isn't as clear as I thought it was, and I'm pretty sure that's Hans Rosling's point.

I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts on this.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
As a "developing world" denizen I couldn't agree more with Hans Rosling. I would go as far as to say that I never saw a better presentation on the subject. Generalizations always tend to be dumb. In this day and age, you can find a bit of everything everywhere. A professor (don't remember his name) once called Brazil "Belíndia" (Belgium+India) because it has regions comparable to Belgium in economy, population wellfare, etc. Others, though, not so fortunate. That's also the truth for the world, as a whole. Great vid, airmanfour.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer it if there were a written summary rather than having to watch 20 minutes of vid, especially considering download speeds here means it would likely take 3 days of downloading - or more - before I could watch it.

Sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
But the graphics are really pretty, quidscribs! And...you know...pretty graphics are the most important thing in a presentation! ;-)
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it'll take me three days to download. Cuz, you know, even though I have high speed internet, I'm in a developing country (is that the same as third world? I don't know all the classifications...) high speed really isn't very fast at all and is, at times, barely faster than dial up. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He nails a lot of the important points. One thing he doesn't emphasize much is that the increased measures of income inequality are almost entirely due to a tiny part of the world's population becoming much, much richer, and a small part of the world's population not becoming much richer. Almost no countries are becoming poorer, and by far most people are becoming richer, even in countries not making much progress; those are being held back by a large part of the country moving into abject poverty due to war, famine, and disease. Purchasing Power Parity (the ability to buy the things you need/want locally with your money) is increasing incredibly dramatically.

Increased income inequality isn't the problem, the problem is the people who aren't managing to increase their income, and the rich aren't causing that by doing well. In fact, notice that the countries that accelerate the fastest on his graphs are all ones that have greatly reduced their trade barriers and chosen to commerce freely with the major economic powers.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

quid, where are you?
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very impressed by the data and the skilled representation thereof, I was also cheered to see that family size except in Muslim countries is universally drifting smaller.

It was a happy coincidence as well to learn that Vietnam actually tossed communism in the eighties and to see the results it tied in with a thread on the topic that I just started.

A very worthwhile lecture.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

GS: family size in muslim countries is soundly drifting smaller, he misspoke and corrected himself. Its sub-saharan africa where family size is not becoming much smaller.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well drifting smaller did not move them from the right side with the rest of us, but it is good they are heading the right way....
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

(Eduardo: Sri Lanka)

Ah, thanks for the info, fugu.

Sri Lanka is one of those countries that is at war and whose purchasing power parity is dropping, even more so in the north and east where the majority of the war takes place.

For example, sugar is available to us at about $0.60 US per kg, but in the north and east, in September it cost around $1.50 US, but now is up to $4 per kg when it's available, which it isn't always.

Three years ago, that same kg of sugar cost us, in Colombo, about $0.35 US.

Wages, however, have not increased very much at all. I wish I had hard data on that, but I don't - I'm going by word of mouth info. What I can tell you, though, is that thanks to the tsunami and the war starting up again, the tourism industry has been suffering dramatically since Dec 2004 (I write for a travel magazine, so I do hear directly from people in the know. Unfortunately, my lousy memory means that I don't remember specifics) as has the fishing industry, which was virtually destroyed. Even though, thanks to international aid, many fisherman have received new boats & fishing equipment, the fish themselves have not recovered - they're very scarce. Fish & other seafood costs have increased by 3-4x since the tsunami.

Sri Lanka has higher literacy rates than most countries in the region at over 90% (I think it was around 95%, but not positive). It also has reasonable life expectancy rates in the 70s for both male and female, again, higher than its neighbors.

Analysts say that Sri Lanka was poised to become this regions leader in technology because of the existing infrastructure. Instead, because of over two decades of civil war and more recently the tsunami, it has made no significant gains.

If you ask locals, they'll tell you that financially, they are no better off now than they were a decade or two ago because of inflation.

This particular country is, in the opinions of many, going into the toilet. It has nothing to do with potential or ability and everything to do with war, greed (ie, corruption) on the part of politicians (which, by the way, also goes hand in hand with the war), and natural disaster (although this one is actually a small part of it comparatively speaking).

Change the government to one which can manage effectively without corruption and with due consideration to the population of this country and this country would become wealthier.

ETA: Did he mention Sri Lanka specifically? If he did, would anyone be willing to say what he said? I'm curious if it agrees with the general consensus here. [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Ah, I see your confusion, and mine. There was a brief period where family size remains the same but life expectancy became higher in arab africa, but smaller family size quickly followed (as we can see on the graph at the end, there's nobody in the space arab africa briefly occupied). AIDS then caused sub-saharan africa to drop back down in life expectancy and increase in fertility rate (the latter likely a reponse to the former, as it would still be at least as beneficial to have descendants to support one in later life during the AIDS epidemic).

On another note, I've recently been hired to work on some projects for dealing with scientific datasets, including loading, managing, processing, and visualizing them. If I have opportunity I'm going to steal some of the features he uses in his animations [Wink] .

General Sax
Member # 9694

In our line of work that is just research...
fugu13
Member # 2859

I mean doing it without reference to specific datasets and formats (except as needed to load those formats into more compatible/generic representations). Specifically, I'll be working on a research computing platform.

http://iv.slis.indiana.edu/ (this site is slightly out of date, a new one will be rolled out in the relatively near future)

http://cishell.org/ (the generic platform)

http://nwb.slis.indiana.edu/ (the specific platform I'll mostly be working with)

General Sax
Member # 9694

One thing I like about the development of such representations is that once the data is crunched and the database set, it just keeps on being relevant, it is work that you do once and it stays done and relevant, apart from keeping the database up to date. So each one completed is like a nail in the coffin of ignorance.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
quid,

According to my government (I love saying that, be even more spooked to know that yes, it is the CIA) Sri Lankan men have a literacy rate of 94.8% (comparable to Bosnia), but for women it is a decidedly less impressive 90.2% (comparable to Viet Nam, Mexico or Zimbabwe) this averages out to 92.3% (comparable Portugal.)

However seeing as how India is only 61% literate (although this varies enormously on a State-by-State basis), Pakistan only 48.7% Bangladesh only 41.0% (both are some of lowest performing Muslim countries, which tend to do better as Islam stresses the ability to read the Qur'an), Sri Lanka can claim to be doing well regionally.

But not that well, 97.2% of Maldivians can read.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The Maldives may not be considered as much of a literacy success compared to Sri Lankans simply because they have such a small population - something like 300,000 people compared to Sri Lanka's over 20 million people. It's also possible that they've only recently caught up. It's also possible that, with an older population in Sri Lanka, that that's where the majority of the illiterate people are.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The site that he links you too, gapminder.org, has some really cool stuff on it.

Thanks for the link, this is a great 20 minutes, and those visuals blew me away. Our solutions to the problems of the world need to be more complex than I think many of us ever imagined.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
GS: family size in muslim countries is soundly drifting smaller, he misspoke and corrected himself. Its sub-saharan africa where family size is not becoming much smaller.

The data are confusing on that point, because the population size has more than doubled since the 1960s in Muslim countries. That number has to do with increasing life-expectancy and lower infant mortality as well.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
The Maldives may not be considered as much of a literacy success compared to Sri Lankans simply because they have such a small population - something like 300,000 people compared to Sri Lanka's over 20 million people. It's also possible that they've only recently caught up. It's also possible that, with an older population in Sri Lanka, that that's where the majority of the illiterate people are.

I agree. If you looked at a section of the population of Sri Lanka that was most comparable to the Malivian population on the whole, in terms of age, income, etc, then you might find this distinction to be non-existant.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course. Literacy has never been achived without other forms of progress (that I know of). And, of course a small population can make things easier in the short run (although a larger, or at least growing, population is better for long run growth.)
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.