FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS funeral question

Author Topic: LDS funeral question
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
...or maybe it's just a funeral question -- since I'm (sort of) outside my native South.

A dear (LDS) friend just lost his wife. They'll have funeral, then graveside, then a lunch. What, if anything, should I bring? Food?

I'll assume that "Those who would like to make memorial contributions in Marie’s honor may wish to donate to..." means "No flowers."

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss. [Frown]

I have no idea. I'm socially inept. Sorry I can't help. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know about southern Catholic funerals, I can help.

Otherwise, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's loss (and yours, of course). Wish I could help out more.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll assume that "Those who would like to make memorial contributions in Marie’s honor may wish to donate to..." means "No flowers."
I don't think it means that at all. I don't think there would be anything wrong with bringing (or sending) flowers, but by no means is it expected.

Also, you don't need to worry about bringing food. Generally (this has been the case of every single LDS funeral I've ever attended) the local ward/congregation takes care of the food.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think memorial contributions are a wonderful thing, especially when the family has specifically requested them.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
From previous discussions of a more culinary nature, I know that funeral potatoes are somewhat traditional.

Other than that, all I can offer is my sympathy on your loss.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
One advantage to memorial donations over flowers is that the receiving charity will usually send a card to the family indicating that they have received a donation in their memory from you. It's a more permanent reminder of your support than a bouquet or grave decoration that will wilt and decay.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Not LDS, but in my experience food at a funeral lunch is always taken care of, either by the local congregation or catered.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

Thanks, all, for your help and your kind words.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be nice to send food to your friend a bit later - perhaps after a week, week and a half. Sometimes it's hard to take care of the little things when you lose someone, and having people bring food is always nice. I like the idea of making a contribution too - it's a wonderful way to help others in memory of someone who is lost.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss.

I remember the flowers when my mother died. We had to give them away to people because the house was filled. That whole time is mostly a haze and I can't recall much, but I remember the flowers.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
From previous discussions of a more culinary nature, I know that funeral potatoes are somewhat traditional.

Other than that, all I can offer is my sympathy on your loss.

Beaten,

my best friend's father passed away recently and there were rolls, funeral potatoes, a light salad, and some assorted desserts such as jello/pie.

If somebody brought a hearty beef stew to my funeral I'd have to say I'd be quite happy.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how sad. I'm sorry to hear about her loss. [Frown]

I think everybody else has covered the question, though.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If somebody brought a hearty beef stew to my funeral I'd have to say I'd be quite happy.
I think it would make me happier if someone brought me a hearty beef stew before while I was still alive rather than at my funeral.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want beef stew. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry [Frown]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

No green jello or funeral potatoes, but people from all over the country, a cameraman there so you could record your memories of the deceased, and a quilt somebody made to commemorate her life. Marie, R.I.P.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.