FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Redneck help

Author Topic: Redneck help
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my fellow engineers in my department just got married. Although he's not a redneck, he does have waistlong hair, wears cowboy boots and wranglers to work everyday, talks with quite a drawl, and enjoys working on old trucks. So it's kind of a group joke to call him a redneck.

Anyway, he's got this real big thing about keeping work and personal life seperate, so he didn't want to invite any co-workers to his wedding (although he's more than happy to come work on our cars for a couple beers). [Dont Know] Anyway, he's a really cool guy, and one of my favorite people to work with, but we've got a secret contest going on that I need some help with.

Basically, we're going to find a redneck wedding picture and photoshop him into it, and unveil the results at the Christmas party. However, I've only found 1 picture searching for redneck wedding on the internet. It's almost too good, it has to be a setup, but that same picture is on like 300 different websites (this one) . So we'll probably get a couple of that one picture.

I'd rather do something unique. So, your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to help me find the perfect picture of a redneck wedding.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/S_S/pictures/Halloween2005/RedneckWedding.jpg

Redneck wedding.

http://weeville.com/redneck%20wedding%20arch.jpg

Hope those help. [Smile]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.allstupidjokes.com/files/picture/04590349.jpg

^^? How does that grab you?

I imagine you need bigger, but I can't do much to help you until I get home from work, what with the work firewall and whatnot.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
tinyurl, please.

Horizontal scroll bars make me twitchy.

edit: thanks, that was fast.

Also, being dead center in the middle of redneck country, I actually have some pics on my email. Let me upload a few to photobucket and see if they would work for you.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, the ones I have wouldn't actually be any good for what you want.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be awesome! Thanks for the help guys.

BB-

I'll have to wait until I get home to see your link. I filter here at work didn't like your site.

Jux-
I haven't seen the first one before. It's good. At this point I'm thinking maybe going for a collage. There was an awesome weddingcake picture of ho-hos and twinkies on platforms I want to work in.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Those top two, breyerchic, are part of a whole series of that wedding I have seen on a circulating email.......
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Bao,
I'd like to see your finished product if you and your coworker don't mind.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I feel really bad for the people whose actual wedding photos are circulated as a joke. It kinda makes me want to take my wedding photos down off my photobucket account, just in case one of them should strike someone as funny.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt a bit bad when googling, but then I was terribly bored so I just kept doing it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although he's not a redneck...

...he does have waistlong hair, wears cowboy boots and wranglers to work everyday, talks with quite a drawl, and enjoys working on old trucks.

I'm sorry, but my brain can't process those two parts together. What makes you think he's NOT one?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Although he's not a redneck...

...he does have waistlong hair, wears cowboy boots and wranglers to work everyday, talks with quite a drawl, and enjoys working on old trucks.

I'm sorry, but my brain can't process those two parts together. What makes you think he's NOT one?
Maybe he hates Nascar? [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, something bothers me about this thread, and I'm not sure what. Maybe the making fun of pictures of what may well have been a very special, significant day in the life of people. Maybe it's the stereotyping and the idea that it's okay to poke fun at people from the south.

This kind of thread makes me think I wouldn't want to meet any of you in person, because you'd probably laugh at me or look down on me because I have a southern accent. That makes me sad. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle -- how do you feel about Southern comics like Jeff Foxworthy who have done so much to perpetuate those stereotypes and the idea that it's OK to poke fun at people from the South?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
You know, something bothers me about this thread, and I'm not sure what. Maybe the making fun of pictures of what may well have been a very special, significant day in the life of people. Maybe it's the stereotyping and the idea that it's okay to poke fun at people from the south.

This kind of thread makes me think I wouldn't want to meet any of you in person, because you'd probably laugh at me or look down on me because I have a southern accent. That makes me sad. [Frown]

Maybe its just reading Mad Magazine for years on my part, but I just enjoy a good ribbing when it comes to anything.

As a Mormon who grew up overseas but now lives in Utah if the wedding pictures had pictures of families with 20 odd children and plates of jell-o in the background I would chuckle just as much.

But my humor still knows reason, if I am made aware that somebody is uncomfortable with the turn the conversation has taken, I don't NEED the topic, theres plenty of other things to make fun of that everyone in a group can agree on.

I mean come on folks TONY DANZA?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with comedians poking fun at themselves or their own culture. Foxworthy is from Atlanta, and pokes fun at the culture he was raised in. I myself have been known to crack redneck or southern jokes. I'm not trying to insinutate that it's a forbidden topic.

But I do find that different than laughing at the wedding pictures of someone you don't know, and assigning labels like "redneck" to them based solely on the way they look and the fact that they are from the south.

I guess it's that old double standard - I can laugh at myself and my family but it's different if someone else does it. And while I don't know those people in that picture...I've got family members whose weddings I don't doubt you'd call "redneck weddings" (you might even say that about my own, I don't know) and it just seems wrong. I would be hurt if I came across my own wedding photos being used as a joke on the internet.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Belle, that's kind of what I was trying to say earlier. It's the use of people's actual wedding pictures that bugs me. Like I said, who knows what kind of humor people would find in my wedding pictures? And that would definitely make me really unhappy. I say, if you're going to do this, use the picture of the couple that's obvious in costume, not the actual wedding photos.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I'm sorry it bothers you two, but any sort of humor is going to offend someone. Lecturing me in a thread really isn't going to improve my sensitivity or make me feel bad.

quote:

Maybe it's the stereotyping and the idea that it's okay to poke fun at people from the south.

Because really, it is ok to stereotype in comedy (and even necessary for some types). It's funny both for the elements that are true, as well as those that are obvious caricatures. It is ok to poke fun of people from the south, or from the north, or east or west. No one is immune from being teased: whites, blacks, males, females, engineers, exotic dancers, powerful politicians, or country bumpkins. I actually enjoy reading things poking fun at groups I belong too, because it keeps me from taking myself too seriously. Just roll with the punches. If you're a Mormon, learn to laugh at the polygamy jokes; if you're from the South, better learn to take the redneck jokes in stride.
Megan
Member # 5290

Bao, I'm not lecturing you. I'm just thinking of how I would feel if I found a whole bunch of people online laughing at my wedding photos, which I take very seriously and look at with much love and fondness.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

You're probably right about that. I guess my takeaway on this is anything that mattered to me that much, I wouldn't post online for the world to see.
Megan
Member # 5290

...which is exactly why I'm considering removing my own wedding photos from my photobucket account.

Edit: Except, eh, I also think some of the impetus is on the folks doing the snickering. Why are you snickering? Would you want to be treated that way? I'd like to think that I'm not being overly sensitive here, though I may be wrong.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I'm snickering due to the degree that a particular photo conforms to an exaggerated, humorous stereotype as presented by a nationally famous comedian.

Why do we laugh at Foxworthy?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
In general, it is okay to make fun of southerners, or rednecks, or yankees, or whatever. In general, it is not okay to make fun of specific people that you do not know personally. *shrug* Can't stop you, of course, and wouldn't want to. I just think it's tacky. Which, you know, some of my strongly held beliefs have been called tacky on this board today, and I'm certainly not changing them, so I don't expect anything of you, either.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ElJay. There is a huge difference between poking fun of a stereotype, and poking fun of actual people -- especially ones you don't even know!

It's rather a shame you are so sure you aren't doing anything worth feeling bad about, and are full of rationalizations like "who told them to post their pictures online."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

I would just like to state for the record that I love Southern accents [Smile] . I don't normally have one, but if I'm around someone who does for longer than 5 minutes I start picking it up.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I don't have a southern accent, despite having been born and raised in the south...except, when I'm tired, or around someone else who has a southern accent, my latent southern accent begins to emerge. It's there, underneath, just waiting for a chance to pop out. [Smile]
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think that all of those 'redneck wedding' pictures are real? Sometimes I just think they're too far out not to be some kind of joke or something...

Also - I live in the heart of Nascar. I make fun of rednecks to the rednecks - they make fun of me for being a yankee (which i despise as a bosox fan)... It's all love... : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
In general, it is okay to make fun of southerners, or rednecks, or yankees, or whatever. In general, it is not okay to make fun of specific people that you do not know personally. *shrug* Can't stop you, of course, and wouldn't want to. I just think it's tacky. Which, you know, some of my strongly held beliefs have been called tacky on this board today, and I'm certainly not changing them, so I don't expect anything of you, either.

Politicians are specific people, as are celebrities, and they are constantly made fun of. They have chosen to put themselves in the public eye, as has anyone who has posted pictures online.

From the Economist
quote:

But laughter does not unite us all. There are those who have a pathological fear that others will laugh at them. Sufferers avoid situations where there will be laughter, which means most places where people meet. Willibald Ruch of Zurich University surveyed 1,000 Germans and asked them whether they thought they were the butts of jokes and found that almost 10% felt this way. These people also tended to classify taped laughter as jeering. Future research will focus on the hypothesis that there is something seriously wrong with their sense of humour.

And with that, I'm afraid I have to leave for the evening.
Megan
Member # 5290

cmc, I think at least some of them are probably real. I don't know for sure, but...eh. Like I said, if it were me, I'd try to use the ones that were obviously not someone's actual wedding photos.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc: Them there yankees... thems got tails.

Othermegan: I'm from the south too, yet one would not know from my accent.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* I don't generally make fun of politicians or celebrities, either. Although I do think there's a difference between taking a job that requires you to promote yourself incessantly and putting your wedding pictures online for your family and friends to see. Regardless, like I said, I'm not trying to convince you in any way. Just sharing my opinion on a current topic of discussion.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I think the responses here were way over exaggerated and overly PC.

"This kind of thread makes me think I wouldn't want to meet any of you in person, because you'd probably laugh at me or look down on me because I have a southern accent."

I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but where did you get that from?? BQT listed alot more things that just a southern accent about his coworker and still said that he's not a redneck and is his friend. Who here said anything that implies they would look down on someone with a southern accent?

And what are the chances that any of the "rednecks" in those pictures are going to come to Hatrack and be offended that we're using their wedding pictures?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So it's only a problem to make fun of someone behind their back if they find out about it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Hmm, yeah that sounds about right. The whole point of not making offensive jokes is so you don't offend anyone. If the offended (is that the right word?) don't know about it then what's the problem? No one is getting hurt.

I'm kind of in a mood right now so this probably sounds harsher than I mean it to. But I do think people get offended way too easily. It's one thing if your friends are making fun of you, but if it's random internet strangers? Why should you care if they make fun of you, especially in pictures that are obviously begging for laughs.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
So when's a Redneck got to be from the South? It's a way of life. Good one at that. I wear my boots a lot when I go out. The girls like them, what can I say? [Smile] An' I do own two Stetson hats and a another off brand one. An' NASCAR is a sport, for all you haters. [Smile]

I bet my grandfather and I have more cars that don't run in his backyard than several of you put together. About half of them mine. One of them would run if someone cared enough to get a water pump for it. It's just an old Ford Festiva that my cousin rolled a few years back. We haul wood in it.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The whole point of not making offensive jokes is so you don't offend anyone.
That's one point. The other is not to be the kind of jerk who goes around being offensive.

quote:
Why should you care if they make fun of you, especially in pictures that are obviously begging for laughs.
And if the picture was not "begging for laughs," but was a real wedding picture? I'm sure you'll be happy to volunteer a few shots of yourself for our heckling and amusement.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"The other is not to be the kind of jerk who goes around being offensive."

Are you still being offensive if no one is getting offended?

"And if the picture was not "begging for laughs," but was a real wedding picture?"

Well, see, I'm pretty sure the pictures posted were jokes. At least the funny ones. Would someone make the effort to make the arch thingy in Juxtapose's third picture out of beer cans if it wasn't meant to be a joke? Same goes for the first one. A cake made out of Twinkies and cupcakes? That's funny in a "greatest idea ever" kind of way [Big Grin] .

"I'm sure you'll be happy to volunteer a few shots of yourself for our heckling and amusement."

If I had pictures that I took as jokes, then sure I would share them. And I promise I wouldn't be offended if people laughed at them.

Edit: Ok are we in agreement that if the pictures used are not real wedding pictures then there is no problem? Since it'd be poking fun at a stereotype and not individual people?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you still being offensive if no one is getting offended?
Quite possibly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://manolobrides.com/images/ShotgunWedding.jpg

http://www.hottshottsphoto.com/images/shotgun-wedding.jpg

http://www.snakeoilproductions.com/images/parentpic.gif

http://bikersmag.com/Kickstart/wedz_lg.jpg

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually know someone who was the bride in a real shotgun wedding.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

By "real shotgun wedding" do you mean that the boy was coerced to marrying the girl he got pregnant, or that he literally was coerced with a shotgun?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
She was literally coerced with a shotgun. And she wasn't pregnant, nor had they had sex.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Now there's a twist fer ya.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.