FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » well known horse cloned

Author Topic: well known horse cloned
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2663521 ]Scamper and Clayton[/URL

quote:
Barrel racer Charmayne James knew scientists had figured out how to clone mice, sheep and cats. So six years ago she decided that if any creature deserved to be cloned, it was her gelding Scamper, the retired 10-time world champion.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well we all know what is going to happen next. We all might as well start getting our offerings and sacrifices ready for when the Scamper clones take over the planet.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, who owns the rights to the DNA of Secretariat?

That stuff must be worth a FORTUNE.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I knew Penny Cherney still did own his rights.

What's confusing me on this one is the owner doesn't want to show or race (it would be barrel racing) him, but in breeding his foals couldn't be registered with the AQHA (quarter horse) registry. It seems to me there is something more than sense going through her head, or I'm just stingy with money.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"Both are confident and ornery except for their affection for little girls, said James, who met Scamper when she was 11."

I know it's sick, but that phrasing gets my hackles up, even though it's a horse.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See -- I was thinking the same thought but with Man O'War. Just goes to show you how much older I am than you, X.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

It would be fun to see all the great race horses though history race eachother, though it wouldn't mean much.

There's so many variables that go into being a great athlete, no matter what species you are. Genes are a very important part (perhaps the most important), but the rest of it separates the "great" athletes from the "good" ones.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I had a long post written up. I don't know that either of them would be doable. I'm sure that Scamper's owner saved for cloning when he died. Secretariat and MOW have been dead so long it doesn't seem likely any DNA is available without exuming bodies and that gets Kentucky upset enough.

The horse I would like to see cloned is Cigar. http://www.kyhorsepark.com/khp/champions/cigar.asp

Last I heard he hadn't had any foals though yearly they try different fertility treatments. John Henry also on that site would be pretty cool too, as he was a gelding.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

That stuff must be worth a FORTUNE.

Exactly what I thought.

Man of War can go...erm...clone himself off a cliff, yeah take that!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I don't know much about race horses, but I did see a special on Secretariat (I think he was one of ESPN's 50 greatest athletes, the only non-human on the list).

It said that after he died, they discovered that his heart was something to the effect of three times the normal size. A quick check with Wikipedia confirms this.

So long as that's genetic, I'd say Secretariat's DNA is worth that of every other horse combined.

The Wikipedia article mentions that they buried him whole (rare for horses), and I am sure that there would be plenty of genetic material to dig up, if the owner was convinced to do so.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Knowing some of the things this owner has done, I'm not entirely sure she would clone him for the money.

And obviously a clone would be different than a progeny, but I don't think his foals had the heart.

Sadly it's more or less a moot point, the horse couldn't be registered in the jockey club, so couldnt' race the derby or have foals who can. What would the point of a Secretariat clone be then?

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
What would the point of a Secretariat clone be then?
I think there are plenty of people who would buy a clone of the fastest horse who ever lived, even if they couldn't race him for money.

Plus, if you could genetically engineer him to be white, you could name him Shadowfax [Wink] .

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the horse couldn't be registered in the jockey club
Why?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Haven't they shown, though (like with Dolly sheep) that the genetic clone is not a healthy, etc. as the original? Didn't they have problems with that?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

(plus, I would want to clone BOTH Secretariat and Man O'War to have them race to each other so I could bet against Xavier on which one was the fastest horse that ever lived!)

[Wink]

Xavier
Member # 405

You joke, Farmgirl, but I would bet that the action on such a race would be tremendous. I'd put $10 on it, and I've never bet on a horse in my life.

I'd imagine someday you'll have the clones-allowed leagues, and the no-clones-allowed leagues.

I'd put money on the clones-allowed league being the more popular one eventually.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
You joke, Farmgirl, but I would bet that the action on such a race would be tremendous. I'd put $10 on it, and I've never bet on a horse in my life.

I'd imagine someday you'll have the clones-allowed leagues, and the no-clones-allowed leagues.

I'd put money on the clones-allowed league being the more popular one eventually.

Does this remind anybody of the "All Drug sanctioned Olympics" in Bogota Columbia parody on Saturday Night Live?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's left.

Cloning human athletes for college sports, and maybe the major leagues if the unions can be bought out.

"Today in bike racing Lance Armstrong broke his own record, not by winning the Tour De France more than 7 times, but by coming in 1st-10th place. The 11th Place Lance, sponsored by McDonalds, was quoted as saying, "Well this sucks."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

MPH, at this point the Jockey club requires the parents of a horse to be registered actually phiscially mate. No artificial insemination, invitro, or surogate mares are allowed. That rules out cloning too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.