FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » mayfly: wii recommendation

Author Topic: mayfly: wii recommendation
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get a wii game for my brother for Christmas. However, I am terribly out of the gaming loop.

Can you give me a recommendation for ONE game to get him, preferably one that is extremely kid-friendly?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
How old is he? If he's really young, I might suggest Monkey Ball for the Wii. I haven't played it, but the previous Monkey Ball games were awesome (and really well suited for younger kids) and I've heard from friends that the Wii version is really good as well.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Monkey Ball has reviewers saying the single player gets very difficult (not necessarily kid friendly) and the mini-games are hit-or-miss. Rayman Raving Rabbids has some better reviews; it's all mini-games, and therefore has scored higher on multiplayer than single player, but fun has been had by all. It has a bit of gross-out humor... Maybe a PG sort of game (no bad words that I know of though).

There's always Spongebob, or Cars, or Happy Feet, or any of the other licensed games.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

True, single player in the Monkey Ball games typically does get very difficult if you try to get to the very end. That does make the first half of the game or so (probably more than that) any less fun though. As for the multiplayer with the mini-games, I've heard it just takes a little adjustment getting used to the controls for them but once you do they are pretty awesome. Of course, this is second hand information as I haven't tried the game for myself yet.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Same here... Curse the fickle video game leprechauns!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
He's 20, but I want to buy something that he can play with his neices and nephews.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well Bokonon's suggestion of Rayman Raving Rabbids may be a better bet if he's playing with younger children. Since it has multiplayer stuff (so he and neices and nephews can play at the same time) and should be fairly kid-friendly, it might be a good game to get.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Excite Truck may be a better choice. It feels more like a real game than Rayman does, so he's more likely to enjoy it when the nieces and nephews aren't around.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never played the Wii, but on Nintendo systems in general I've always loved the Zelda games...and I've heard that the new Zelda is a lot of fun.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a great time with Super Monkey Ball over Thanksgiving. I wouldn't say the "Party Games" section was hit and miss as much as it was extremely varied. There were games that we found kind of boring, but a five year old might love. Some of the controls were very complicated and some were easy. I think it would be great for a family with kids -- they'd have the main game plus 50 mini-games (including things like "jigsaw puzzel" and "jump-rope" and "rock-paper-scissors" as well as alien attack and monkey wars and snowboarding).
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I was going to buy Super Monkey Ball for him, but the little dork bought it for himself.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Super Monkey Ball was tons of fun. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck finding a copy of Zelda if you didn't preorder [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay

Looks like with S&H you can get a copy in the 50-65 dollar range, which is either equal to or slightly higher than the price you'd pay in store if you had pre-ordered.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt. They had more Wiis than Zeldas at the store where I bought mine on launch day. 93 Wiis vs. 70 Zeldas. Though somehow I managed to get my grubby little hands on a copy (if you're that old lady that I pushed over, I apologize).

Oh, and Zelda is a great game, but it's not multiplayer, and it would probably be too difficult for very young gamers.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout Elebits?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
Good luck finding a copy of Zelda if you didn't preorder [Smile]

Stores around here have had plenty of copies of Zelda despite being sold out of Wii. (Wiis? Wiii? Uus?) Best Buy had no Wii, no controllers, but like 20 copies of Zelda sitting on the shelf. Maybe some stores just ordered better quantities of the games.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Elebits isn't out yet, so you'd have to be on the lookout for it... But yeah, it definitely should be considered.

-Bok

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH: I have an extra copy of Zelda that I bought for my brother but he too bought himself a copy (stupid head), if you want Ill part with it for $40-45 if you pay for shipping. So that would be $50 (shipping included).

Post in this thread or email me if you are interested.

Note that Zelda would DEFINATELY be FAR more difficult than anything Monkey Ball will throw at you, though the game from what I can see is kid friendly. The puzzles are definately more along the lines of adult thinking rather then kids, but hey they might be geniuses.

Edit: Or if you live in the Provo/Orem area I'd be willing to just drive by and give it to you for $40, as it is used, (I opened the case to make sure the dvd didn't have any scratches.)

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Unfortunately, my brother already has Zelda as well.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

If he had any GameCube controllers lying around, you could get any number of older GameCube multiplayer games that are fun. Of course, not everyone has GameCube controllers though. So that's probably out.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I could do that, but he already has a gamecube, and I want to buy him something especially for his beloved new wii.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Sounds like your options are ExciteTruck (if racing games are cool), Elebits (when it comes out), Rayman Raving Rabbids (as long as they are okay with a little gross-out humor), or any of the licensed-from-movies games.

Or you could get a Wii Points card and let them download some Virtual Console nostalgia.

-Bok

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Sounds like your options are ExciteTruck (if racing games are cool), Elebits (when it comes out), Rayman Raving Rabbids (as long as they are okay with a little gross-out humor), or any of the licensed-from-movies games.

Or you could get a Wii Points card and let them download some Virtual Console nostalgia.

-Bok

quote:
I'm still waiting for THAT present Bok, hint hint nudge nudge wink [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm leaning toward ExciteTruck.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I haven't tried ExciteTruck yet but it is on the list of games I am probably going to get at some point. It looks really cool.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I just wish I could find the stupid console, you guys have no idea how long and painful my journey to still not having one is.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, I'm pretty sure I know how long it is.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I know all too well, BlackBlade. I still don't have the cash for the console, and so I may not be able to get it until the fall or so. It's going to be a long wait.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Well, I'm pretty sure I know how long it is.

lol possibly true,

Lets just say if somebody tried to run for office on the, "retail reform" platform, I'd vote for them.

Retailers are the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned. Customer is always right my butt crack.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Retailers are the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned.
To protest, I think you should never buy anything again.
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Most reviews I've seen have pegged Super Monkey Ball higher than Rayman, and I'd argue that it's more kid-friendly. All you do is tilt monkeys in a little ball around a stage, and it has a huge number of minigames (something like half as many as Rayman, which has 80 or so, I think, though many, many of those are repeats, as I found out). It typically starts off very easy and becomes more difficult, and the old mini-games were just fine for my 6- and 8-year-old nephews to play, so unless Sega totally changed the direction of the mini-games, I'd say your best bet is Super Monkey Ball. I like Rayman a lot, too, but it's not as much fun on your own, and its humor is more gross-out/violence-related than anything. I'd recommend Super Monkey Ball over Rayman for all ages, though that's not to say Rayman isn't a viable choice, too.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Retailers are the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned.
To protest, I think you should never buy anything again.
I think I am misunderstanding you, could you do me the courtesy of elaborating.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You say that reatailers are the scum of the earth.

I say that you shouldn't lower yourself to their level, and you certainly shouldn't support them. You should protest their wicked ways by refusing to do buisness with them.

Don't buy a wii.

In fact, don't buy any consumer goods at all.

It's a sacrifice, I know, but at least you won't be supporting an evil, corrupt system.

This is assuming, of course, that you really meant what you said. [Wink]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Most reviews I've seen have pegged Super Monkey Ball higher than Rayman, and I'd argue that it's more kid-friendly.
How can you say it's more kid-friendly? You spend the entire game playing with monkey balls!

(I couldn't resist.)

Anyway, mph said said his brother already bought SMB, so that's out.

--Enigmatic

Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my bad. I didn't have time to read through it all because I had to go tutor, and I just wanted to throw out my recommendation before I left.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

BB, I've been looking far and wide too. Apparently Target this Sunday will have them to sell.

-Bok

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
BB, I've been looking far and wide too. Apparently Target this Sunday will have them to sell.

-Bok

They told me that LAST week in regards to this past sunday and when I was there they still didnt have any nor did they plan on having any until NEXT sunday. I just don't know who to believe.

MPH: lol true enough I suppose. Can they be the only scum of the earth Ill put up with? Sorta like the IRS?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Can they be the only scum of the earth Ill put up with?
Only by becoming the same type of scum yourself.

You are an enabler.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I bought Excite Truck. Thanks for your advice.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The customer isn't always right. Sorry.

Whoever made that crap up was plain wrong. If that was true all you would have to do is say "This is free." and we would all go out of business. We do the best we can, but supply issues aren't the fault of the people in the stores.

Don't say I am overstating it....I had a guy try that exact thing for half an hour on Black Friday.

It didn't fly. At all. He demanded to see the store manager....who told him I was right, he was wrong, and said he was more than welcome to talk to the Corporate Office about it.

The big black spot in the middle of his wifes earring didn't magically appear, and $595 isn't a lot to spend on 1 ct diamond earrings.

Over a years ago.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.