FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bugrit, Millennium hand the Shrimp....

Author Topic: Bugrit, Millennium hand the Shrimp....
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can understand this then it is likely you share one of my vices, a love for Commander Vimes and Terry Pratchett's Disk world books. I know that the development of Anhk Morpork is fun to read. The latest "Thud" was wonderful. My favorite moment was when Death was chatting with Vimes, What is going on? "OH YOU ARE HAVING A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE, SO OF NECESSITY I AM HAVING A NEAR VIMES EXPERIENCE... I BROUGHT A BOOK!

The only thing I worry about it that Pratchett is maturing the stories a bit, I hope he does not turn into a Jordan who went from Tolkien innocence to writing whole chapters to make a hardened Dominatrix blush and the most devoted Submissive take off the ball gag to gag for real. Still with children's story lines like the Talking Mice and the Tiffany Aching novels it is sure that he will make good novels for kids for a long time. Just read them before the kids do!

Anyone else up to date on Disk World?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, but I have liked most of what I have read so far. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It's "Millenium hand AND shrimp".
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's "Millennium hand." [Big Grin] Also, it's "Bugrit, bugrit, bugr'em".

As for Jordan, while chapters full of sniffs are hardly my thing, you are rather exaggerating the amount of sex games that go on. And Pratchett has basically none, mature themes or not. I think your worry is misplaced.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Dominance and Submission has been a recurring theme in the later Jordan Wheel of Time Books, think about the number of women you have seen 'beaten into submission' and pillow friendship has become rampant.

The latest Pratchett book has a bit suggestion in it, nothing gratuitous unless you could see it, naked werewolf and vampire mud wrestling references and such.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think Night Watch is one of the best books ever, by any author.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find that Pratchett has many fans on this forum. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

I loved the description of Vimes as being natural alcohol deficient. Needing to self medicate to have normal sobriety or he would pass through sobriety into a place nobody else could follow, beyond sobriety.

So very Pratchett... Like the insane magician that they give hallucinogens to push him to the sanity on the far side of his madness, dart frog pills I think the are.

Or the Wizard so incompetent that he is the most significant magical force of his time.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite quotes, from Hogfather -

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
- Death, to Susan

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Death and Vimes are two of my favorite characters in any genre. Nobody balances humor and pathos like Pratchett, with the possible exception of Whedon.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Nanny Ogg. The best ever character in fantasy.

I knew her you know. Well maybe not her, but the old dear called Nan who lived in the village where i was born. Had a vocabulary that'd make a fishwife blush.

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

When Nanny Ogg had her swarm of kin silence all the roosters in Lancre in order to give Granny time to pull of her spell of spells (Wyrd Sisters) and then glibbly gave all the credit to Granny, that was a classic Nanny Ogg moment, she demands nothing beyond the comforts she wants but those are hers! Anything else anybody wants she is happy to help them get, from world warping spells to thrones...
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to read Nanny Ogg's cookbook ... [Blushing]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

Haa... Nanny Ogg cook? She has daughters-in-Law for that!
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
You can...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook is actually a pretty amusing read. Bear in mind that it's the expurgated version, because her publisher lacked the stamina to reprint the original. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.