FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The World is Fat!

Author Topic: The World is Fat!
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
World Wide Obesity

quote:
WHO’s latest projections indicate that globally in 2005:

* approximately 1.6 billion adults (age 15+) were overweight;
* at least 400 million adults were obese.

WHO further projects that by 2015, approximately 2.3 billion adults will be overweight and more than 700 million will be obese.

With starvation still being a major problem all over the world, is obesity something that really needs to be addressed on a global scale?

Are we going to become like OSC's Fat Farm?

How's this for my first Dobbie? [Smile]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew we american's weren't the only ones.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an alien plot... we're being fattened for the slaughter!
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How have you Been???

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, now aren't whales known for their blubber? I mean, look who's talking! [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been ridiculously busy, but pretty well, overall... recently re-read all the Ender books and got homesick for hatrack, heh. Hope you're well, Megan.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are we blaming the world for what is clearly the human race's problem? In comparison with some of the other planets out there, the Earth is really quite slim.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Carver, I think the Americans *are* the only ones. It's just that we're large enough to look like 1.6 billion people [Wink]

There's some interesting new research that suggests that what our grandparents ate might have a pretty significant impact on our health, including obesity-related issues. I suspect that we aren't going to solve this one anytime soon. (And yes, I will dig up a link for this later. I read about it in Discover, I believe, and it has to do with inherited epigenetic changes, if someone else wants to try to find it).

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks down at stomach, sees outline of own ribcage*

*shrugs*

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
DAVID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How have you Been???

My goodness! What she said!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
This quite a first dobie! (Even if it is dobie, and not dobbie, haha...)

Good work. [Wink]

And, um, I vaguely remember you, even though I don't think I ever knew you very well, but WELCOME BACK! [Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps on David* Where in the holy heck...*sputters*

Okay you already explained, I'm just blubbering. I would very much like an email at verileah at gmail.com.

(That originally said 'I demand an email' btw, so if you think the above is bossy just think of what I might have said!)

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I read somewhere that obesity now affects more people than world hunger does.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.