FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things you probably don't know about living on a Great Lake...

Author Topic: Things you probably don't know about living on a Great Lake...
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
... that you probably wouldn't be interested in anyways:

• No, I can't see the other side
  • There are waves
  • Yes, you can surf on them
  • - But really only in Winter, when the northern winds make them really big
  • - A full-body wet suit and balls of solid brass are required.
  • You can drink the water, but I wouldn't recommend it around cities like Milwaukee and Chicago
  • - Most coastal towns and cities take their water from the lake
  • - However, the Great Lakes Basin is a protected resource, so people outside of it have to stick to wells.
  • Shipping can be dangerous for many reasons:
  • - Think of them like a fresh-water sea. They're quite large and, as mentioned before, there ARE waves
  • - No salt in the water = less buoyancy
  • The lakes significantly affect the weather of the surrounding area.
  • - Think of them like thermal batteries, the water is slow to change temperature, so the water is warm (relatively speaking) in early winter and cold in early spring.
  • - This causes storms to break up or form, temperatures to vary wildly and snow to dump like all hell.

Blah blah blah. Add your own if you can think of anything.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
There are water monsters living in their depths. We used to call them sea monsters, till someone pointed out how inappropriate that title was. Regardless, there are indeed monsters in the Great Lakes.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Thanks, Primal.

There's also a water monster living in Okanagan Lake in British Columbia. It's called the Ogopogo.

Loch Ness does not have the market cornered. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on which Lake you live on Primal [Smile]

My closest is Lake St. Clair, and my closest Great Lake is Huron I guess. But I spend most of my summers on Lake Michigan, where you can barely body surf without a good storm.

So I never get much of the fun lake effect snow unless the storm blows in from a noreaster and passes over Ontario or Erie.

Most of my friends are in school on the other side of the state, the fun side [Smile] But I'm stuck in plain old boring Detroit, where we only get a foot of snow at a time. Ho-Hum.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
One of 'em never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by foundling:
There are water monsters living in their depths. We used to call them sea monsters, till someone pointed out how inappropriate that title was. Regardless, there are indeed monsters in the Great Lakes.

Mermaid: You have sea lions on the land?

Fry: Yes. We call them, "land sea lions."

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I came to hatrack to talk about how rudkni I am, but I forgot what I was going to say

something witty, I'msure

Im such a rucking smart guy compareted to yhou, don't you know

I know, you;lkl think i"m doujmcb for driknking, but booze feels so good, you have no idea

run andioon on sentences are awersome
'

I watched Zardoz the other day. I love the7890;s asthetic. It rocks in a way I can't esxxplain. I love the beachball greenlightroomsthingeis

you know, like greehioyuserss byt with boobs

yeah

booze rocks

listening to Pnkkyh Floyd while rdrunk makes things all awesome

i'm swayhing like stevie wonder on a crjuize shitpo

oops
I litlkht

think I just sayidshitoopp

crap

this will probalby reconcile ro concretalize or soemthignt the teatotaller tendencyies in your cold mormon heart

bastsdrew35536t

he could nogt break free

'
zdf

booze makes me feel like I'm floating

no really

yo know that slight senfse orf fvertigo you goet when you're fliygin? multiply that by 396036u38956u0o9u465345x infinity andf thats's now I flee

fell1!!!

flee the secene and feel like breaking bottles inth eahlla

god I'm tpta;uysdf incomprehencassable

never we stand

defighting with fall!~

yeah!

drummers in Freaksn and gteeks rock

I'd totallya do meatloaf if I was into fat guys

got to finish vourbon())+scothc

have you ever been delirous? giresdf

drudnk

floyhd rocks

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Now I'm going to have that song in my head. Darn it! [Mad]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you do it?

"Living on a Great Lake"

I tried living on a lake once.

It was awfully wet.

So I moved to the shore.

My Computer doesn't float.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
You get lots of snow when the cold winds blow off the lakes.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

One of the fun things about global warming is that we get a hell of a lot MORE snow when it's warmer out. But not too warm.

Warmer than average winters mean less of the lakes freeze over, which means more surface area to contribute moisture to the air, and more snow when it falls over land. If it's too warm, it's just cold rain, but a few degrees means tons more snow.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It was Lake Superior....the water is so cold that bodies don't float. So she keep what she takes. [Frown]

Modern Freighters have sunk in storms on the Great Lakes....not just wooden ones in the 1800's.

I lived in MI for 13 years, and my family still has a house on a smaller inland lake near Traverse City.

You DON'T waterskii on the Great Lakes, for the most part. The waves are too big, and there is a lot of storm activity. Also, in MI there are so many inland lakes that are better suited for it that it is silly to even try....unless you have a nice bay or inlet.

You can smell the fresh water long before you see it, particularly if you haven't been back in MI for a few years.

To me it will always smell like home. It is hard to explain, and it isn't something you notice until you leave and come back.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Or so it's said.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is true. Even if Gordon Lightfoot sang about it. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
It was Lake Superior

Or as the Indians called it, maize.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The Graveyard of the Great Lakes has more souls taken by nature alone per square mile (I'd make a fair wager), than any other waterway on the planet.

Modern ships suffer almost as much as the old wooden ships of my ancestors. Don't have to look any further than the Edmund Fitzgerald for that. The Soo Locks are the busiest lock system in the world, and I think, the Great Lakes are the busiest waterways in the world too (considering their size, location and such, that's not a surprise).

They are incredibly dangerous, especially in winter. And I remember a conversation I had with Tatiana about how she could never swim in Lake Michigan, it's too cold (even in the summer!). Personally I love Lake Michigan, and can't imagine anything comparing with the beautiful beaches and clear fresh water.

My brother's girlfriend has two houses in Munesing (spelling is off, but her grandfather apparently built half the town), including a fantastic lake house on Superior. They also have a ski lodge on Crystal Mountain and a house where they live in Ludington. I go to Silver Lake to go camping every year, which is just off Lake Michigan.

I know I might have to move away from Michigan for awhile when I get out of school, but being surrounded by these lakes is in my blood (well, a little more than the average person's 80% water content in their bodies [Wink] ) But I LOVE these lakes. Michiganders are marine mammals through and through [Smile] Home for me will always be by a lake.

Edited for stupidity.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Modern ships suffer almost as much as the old wooden ships of my ancestors. Don't have to look any further than the F. Scott Fitzgerald for that.

The Edmund Fitzgerald, I think you mean.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Lol, wow, talk about brainfarts...
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Michigan and never saw one of the Great Lakes until I was 27 years old.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Where in Michigan are you?

And how is that POSSIBLE?

You at least saw one of the other lakes didn't you? Houghton? St. Clair? Anything?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me it will always smell like home. It is hard to explain, and it isn't something you notice until you leave and come back.
Exactly how I feel about L.A. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
New Jersey has it's own special smell, too, you know.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I've mostly managed to erase that from my memory. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They misspelled "garbage" in the state nickname.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! You mock! You jest! That's all right. New Jerseyans quickly develop a thick skin. Some say that this is a mutation caused by the huge number of Superfund sites in the state, though.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I know, you;lkl think i"m doujmcb for driknking, but booze feels so good, you have no idea"

I could be wrong, but I think only one ' is necessary in between the "i" and the "m" in "I'm". I think you may have made a typo there.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I"ve got a lifetime of work ahead of me.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It was Lake Superior

*snort*
That was far funnier than it had any right to be.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
"I know, you;lkl think i"m doujmcb for driknking, but booze feels so good, you have no idea"

I could be wrong, but I think only one ' is necessary in between the "i" and the "m" in "I'm". I think you may have made a typo there.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
quote:
It was Lake Superior

*snort*
That was far funnier than it had any right to be.

[Smile] I was hoping that that appealed to someone besides me.
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
*Raises hand*

I grew up in Duluth, MN, and feel at least a small bit of ownership of Lake Superior.

I've been swimming in it in early summer when there's still ice chunks floating around.

I've watched the icebreaker tugs clear the way for thousand-footers into the harbor.

It's a cold, wonderful lake.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'd definitely give Superior the award for most appealing large-sized lake in its class.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I vote for Michigan.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, that made me smile! Another thing about the Lakes is how they go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted.

Also, you're all neglecting the beauty of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron! That's my home. I love it, although my town is about half an hour from the actual water, which is too bad. In the winters, though, we have snow from about October until April. (Usually by January there's about 4 or 5 feet of it on the lawns and such, which stays for a few months, before it starts to melt in April.) In the summers, it is the perfect temperature - about 80F on hot days, and probably 75ish otherwise. It's perfect. And the air is so fresh! We're so far from the cities.

Aw, I'm all nostalgic now.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.