FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do you talk to yourself...

Author Topic: Do you talk to yourself...
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
...while you use the computer, or is it just me? [Angst]

"Ok, let me try this just here..."

"Well that's $&*^ed..."

"Okie, so now that's working..."

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
all the time.

"why cant we just get along?!"

i dont really talk to it when it does everythin gjust right, but i certainly have a few choice words for it whenever it doesnt.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not usually.

I sing a lot, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but sometimes I talk to the computer. Especially when I am installing new software, and it stops every minute or so to ask if I really really want to install it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, me too.

Do you make up absurd words for songs based on what you are doing at the time?

(I have many a "walking the dog", "doing the dishes", "cleaning the bathroom" and "going to work" song based on this principle.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes. Sometimes I just write a little tune to go with the words I'm singing. I also do the things my dad used to do-- singing songs with my daughters' names and what they are doing (usually it involves driving me mad) and making up little funny songs by singing the words they just spoke (although it's not as funny because I don't have a guitar permanently attached to my hands or a blues voice.) (Of course, Bridget's words right now tend to be "La la la la la ba da PPPPPPTHBBBBBT," but Emma insists that I sing Bridget's words, too, after I sing hers.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bridget's words sound like a breakaway hit. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I rarely tell it what I really think of it. I'm too dependant on it to risk it getting angry with me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I do. And when I'm not using the computer, too.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. One of my housemates has a tendency to talk to himself while doing homework and I like to respond to what he says. It ends up being rather amusing.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I click on something with a word on it (like "Start" or "File"), I say the word out loud. Once, after being on the computer for about three days straight working on a project, I was trying to pack some stuff in this box. After I'd finally gotten it all in, I realized I needed something from the very bottom. Then I looked down at the box in consternation and unconciously muttered, "Edit, Undo!"
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only do I consciously sing and talk to myself sometimes, I also apparently do it unconsciously at times, which can be very embarrassing. My brain is incapable of telling the difference reliably.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to my computer in Hebrew when it annoys me. I think I subconsciously believe that an American computer can't understand Hebrew [Big Grin]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to myself while I am at work (things like, ok next step is to incubate twenty minutes). Usually I work all alone, but occassionally other people walk by and look at me strange.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
crescentsss, shall we discuss the odds of at least some of the components having been built in Israel (or by Israelis)?

Anyway, the general rule is EVERYTHING understands lashon hakodesh. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
crescentsss, shall we discuss the odds of at least some of the components having been built in Israel (or by Israelis)?

כן ירבו
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I talk to myself or the computer?

Of course Not!

This thread is populated by crazy people who talk to themselves and to inanimate objects.

You're all crazy.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I do. Used to work with a guy that would answer his own questions. When I asked him about it, he said it was the only way he could get the answers that he liked. I liked that old man.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frozenoak
Member # 9454

- posted      Profile for Frozenoak   Email Frozenoak         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk back to the tv, respond to the callers on the talkshows I listen to, and I yell at people I play my mmorpg's with/against. Is that the same thing?
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
When looking through a book for some particular phrase or piece of information, I often find my fingers unconsciously reaching for the C-s (that's incremental-forward-search, for those benighted heathens who don't use emacs).
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course...stupid computer! [Big Grin]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by crescentsss:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

כן ירבו
Amen!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I definately talk to other drivers while I'm driving. I'll yell at them for doing something stupid or if I think they're driving too slowly. I only tend to do it when there's someone else in the car though, I think I was influenced by my dad who does the same thing.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
One time after fighting Windows all day, I physically reached to my left and down for the Start Button - I wanted to shut down (go to sleep).

Stupid Windows.

I can remember dreams where I typed Alt-Tab in the air to switch scenes. Awesome hey?

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to myself while doing homework. Yell at it, beg, try to reason with it. My homework, though, is very anti-social, and it never responds.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do.

No I don't.

Who asked you?

You don't have to ask me.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, DAMN IT!

Sorry... what?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:

One time after fighting Windows all day, I physically reached to my left and down for the Start Button - I wanted to shut down (go to sleep).

Stupid Windows.

I can remember dreams where I typed Alt-Tab in the air to switch scenes. Awesome hey?

Tell me about it. Why should you have to go to 'Start' to shut down your computer?

Talk about counter-intuitive.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Melchett: Blackadder, started talking to yourself I see.

Blackadder: [Turning away from the window] Yes, it's the only way I can be sure of intelligent conversation. What do you want?

Yes. I do confer with myself, though I usually manage to refrain from doing so out loud. Otherwise people might start looking at me askance.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to the TV fairly often, especially when I'm watching a hockey or basketball game.

I talk to myself from time to time depending entirely on what I'm doing.

And I'll sing to myself from time to time as well. Usually when doing chores or at work (to the mixed review of my coworkers).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Member # 9930

- posted      Profile for Tyler   Email Tyler         Edit/Delete Post 
the worst is when i go to the library and use the computer catalogue and i discuss outloud with myself which book i want to go track down and read, or whether i have read a certin book.

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Not really. One of my housemates has a tendency to talk to himself while doing homework and I like to respond to what he says. It ends up being rather amusing.

my roommate does the same thing, talking to himself, general while studying greek, and ill always answer with some absurd thing.

'what is it... what is the past tense partical...'
'St. Andrews!'
'what? what?'
'oh, just talking to myself.'

haha.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I don' need no stinkin' computer to talk to myself. If it's good enough for Shakespeare...

[ December 04, 2006, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I talk to the TV fairly often, especially when I'm watching a hockey or basketball game.

I yell at the characters.

My friends don't appreciate it for some reason.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I constantly talk to myself, but the wierd thing I usually talk to myself as if I was someone else, like, "You should really learn to be more patient."

I talk to my car, to my computer, to my TV, to my pets, etc.

I like to play a game with myself, identify the part of me that just spoke, like:

"I want cake." *inner child*

"You can't have cake, you haven't eatten today." *voice of responsiblity*

"Oh let him have cake, it's been a hard day!" *self pitty*

"You can have cake AFTER you eat something reasonable." *middle ground*

"What's something reasonable that your willing to eat?" *inquisitive*

"Cake!" *inner child*

"Cake is not reasonable, we have a deal!" *responsiblity*

etc

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maliam
Member # 9915

- posted      Profile for Maliam   Email Maliam         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to myself all the time and other inanimate objects. Heres they way I look at it. It's a sign of intellagence, that is untill you lose an argument.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I talk to myself when I'm using the computer. Drives my mother crazy, because she always assumes that I'm talking to her.

I'm especially chatty when I'm working...I work at home and my work is dependent on the computer. I talk myself through procedures to make sure I hit all the steps necessary, and I mutter to myself when I do something wrong and have to go back and redo or when the computer takes too long to do what I want it to do.

Then again, I talk to myself in life generally, so I don't really find talking to myself while I'm using the computer all that unusual. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lady that works at our public library that is constantly talking to herself, and not in a muttering way either. She has total expression in the most cheerful, sing songy way possible. There are some days that I have to walk away and others it makes me smile.

I don't really talk to myself but will often laugh outloud when I read something funny or go over something funny that happened previously.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep up a running commentary with myself when I'm in a good mood and studying or working something out. I think people probably think I'm crazy. Truth is, it just helps me to get my thoughts in order to hear things.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to my register at Wal-Mart all the time.

"Stupid, not that button. What are you doing now? Stop it."

Pretty much normal "stupid technology" stuff.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
No1 Beats DRAGON
Member # 9912

- posted      Profile for No1 Beats DRAGON   Email No1 Beats DRAGON         Edit/Delete Post 
I talk and sing to myself all the time, especially when i am on the computer and i sing to myself especially when I'm in bed but really don't feel like sleeping. And i laugh when I think of something funny that happened a while ago.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk, yell, sing show tunes...yep.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten in the habit of punctuating a lot of mouse clicks with sounds or brief tunes from video games. Also, I tend to say, "Bork! Bork! Bork!" when something works that I had doubts would do so.

(I did not get "Bork! Bork! Bork!" directly from the Swedish Chef. The full story will take a little explanation. In computer text adventure games, typing XYZZY for your command usually gives a funny response because "xyzzy" was a famous magic word in Adventure, the first computer game of this kind. Once I did this in a game and got the response, "A voice says, 'Henceforth, that word shall be replaced with "bork."'" So I typed BORK and got the response "Bork! Bork! Bork!". For some reason it stuck in my mind.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me?
I don't need a machine to talk to myself!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've maintained for years that someone need to design a computer that responds to threats and curses. I want to see my computer grovel when I yell at it and then fix itself.

"I'm sorry. Its all my fault. I'll try harder. Please please don't trade me in yet. I promise, I'll try harder. Let me scan my hard drive for viruses and worms. If that doesn't work, I'll defrag it. Maybe if I just reinstall the driver. Just please don't keep kicking me."

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sorry, Dave... I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Dave... This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

"Daisy... Daisy... Give me your answer do..."

-=O=-

I talk to my laptop computer all the time. Hey, at least I'm not talking to myself. 'cause that would be just plain crazy! Right Dell? Good boy...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.