FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 9 - 3 - 9 -3 ... or other weird sleeping patterns

Author Topic: 9 - 3 - 9 -3 ... or other weird sleeping patterns
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of year again for college students - when every major project and paper is due, and you have to present on every one of them, despite not having the time to shower. [Smile] I find that, when this stressful time of year comes around, I fall into a pattern of catching three hours at a go, then staying up nine or ten before catching another nap. My REM cycle seems to last about 3 hours and 20 minutes, actually, so my naps are a bit longer than 3 hours. It seems to work best for me, since I get the most "awake and truly productive" time for the amount of time I'm sleeping.

Does anyone else work on this, or other odd sleeping schdules, for short time periods? Over the long-haul? Am I taking off a year of my life every week I do this to my body (sure feels like it...)?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started working the night shift, at the beginning of August, I've been getting to sleep between 9:30 and 11 am, and waking up at 3 pm. And I try to get a nap between 7 pm and 9 pm before I go back to work.

I seem to be doing OK on this schedule.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a junior in a private Jewish HS - meaning double the curriculum and triple the workload. When crunch time comes I usually function on 5 hrs of sleep and loads of caffeine.

I seem to not be doing OK on this schedule. [Razz]

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I sense an impending thread derail . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I went to a public HS in the heart of Silicon, filled with Asian and Jewish kids. I feel your pain crescentsss - my junior year was so tought that I cut my senior year short by graduating early, and ran off to work in Europe before college. (No offense to either group - they just tend to be very academically focused.)

And, yes, coffee is the king of drinks. I have mine inky black, and no less than 16 oz. per serving. That adds another thing to my list - should I be worried on surviving on mainly the cookies they bake in the library, coffee, tea, and taco bell?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
They bake cookies in the library? [Confused]

Are they at least literary cookies, like madeleines and, uh, gingerbread men?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

The cafe located near the front of the library does. It was an evil genius who came up with the plan, because you can edit: smell the delicious cookies baking across the entire 1st floor.

[ December 03, 2006, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
you can the delicious cookies baking across the entire 1st floor.

I've never tried canned cookies. Are they soggy, like canned green beans?
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
O the calories [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frozenoak
Member # 9454

- posted      Profile for Frozenoak   Email Frozenoak         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an odd sleep patern that has developed for no particular reason. I get tired around 8pm most days so I lay down. I always seem to wake up (and I mean the full alertness of a full night sleep wake up) at 10:30pm. I do a lot of my forum surfing and preping for the next day for the next couple hours. Around 2am I get tired again so I lay back down. when my alarm goes off at 4:30 I am ready for the day. There are some days I take a short nap during lunch (11am) for 10-20min but thats not very often.

dale

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
You should try Polyphasic Sleep when you have about one month for adjusting time. It is awesome if you can pull it off. There is even a Yahoo group for it. People there have all sorts of weird schedules [Smile] .

Personally, 20 min naps work best for me. So does a biphasic schedule like two 3 hour sleep sessions, spread over the day. On a light diet, especially in the evenings (say only fruits in the evening), 4-5 hrs of sleep is not hard to maintain.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by crescentsss:
I'm a junior in a private Jewish HS

I hadn't realized. I thought you were older.

Good luck -- junior is absolutely the hardest year, IME. If you can survive this, you can survive anything!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Polyphasic Sleep doesn't seem incredibly healthy to me. But I'm also not an expert on sleep.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I don't think I'd have the willpower to get up after 20 minutes - I like turning over and going back to sleep too much. Plus, it'd suck to never have a specific time set away for cuddling with the significant other.

Maybe if I'm in grad school when I have my first kid, and thus have a flexible schedule.

crescentsss
Member # 9494

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by crescentsss:
I'm a junior in a private Jewish HS

I hadn't realized. I thought you were older.
What can I say... I'm mature for my age [Wink]

quote:
Good luck -- junior is absolutely the hardest year, IME. If you can survive this, you can survive anything!
Thanks!
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
Polyphasic Sleep doesn't seem incredibly healthy to me. But I'm also not an expert on sleep.

Nor does it to me, or to this guy, who is a sleep and memory expert.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My REM cycle is similar, about 3 1/2 hours. If I get a full four hours though, it throws off my body.

I've been known to go a couple of weeks on three hours of sleep a night. Naps aren't good for me. I need my rest during dark hours. I have a mask for when I HAVE to nap during the day, but those naps tend to tire me out more.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I have major problems studying at night for some reason--probably my loud and (mildly) obnoxious housemates--so As I get closer to exams, I usually start going to bed earlier and earlier (6-8 pm) and getting up earlier and earlier (3-5 am).

That way I get to do all my assignments early in the morning, with no distractions.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
crescentss, my friend asked what private jewish school.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a freshman in university. In an engineering program. I don't even have a set sleeping schedule, I just do my best to fit my sleep around everything I do and catch up on sleep on the weekends.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

He has three final esses. [Wink] And I'm guessing the omission of the school name was deliberate.

(Not that I'm not also curious.)

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in the category of juniors with a heavy class load, and the added benefit of being both a procrastinator and a perfectionist. [Wall Bash]

I tend to get about three hours of sleep a day, an hour or two when I crash after school (3pm), and then a short nap from four or five am until six, when I need to be up for school. I haven't run into any physical problems yet, and the mental stress is almost certainly due to other factors. I usually end up spending nights of assisted insomnia furiously working on one project or another.

There'll be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, which, something tells me wont be far off if I keep this up.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 4-month-old. My sleep schedule is 2-.75-.5-2-oh forget it, I'll just take a cool shower.

Not that it was all that normal before I was a father.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a binge sleeper.

It generally works for me.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually sleep 4am - 10am or so on most nights, with occasional naps here and there as my body demands it.

Come finals time, that might stretch to sleeping from 5am-930am or so, but doesn't usually vary too much. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and the one and only time I ever used it to pull an all nighter, it did weird things to me, and I haven't had any since. Hot Chocolate is a better stimulant if you ask me. I tend to not get super stressed out around finals time, don't know why, since everyone else seems to, though I expect that to change as my number of history classes rises and my number of easy blow off GenEds diminishes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

I don't get stressed about finals, I get stressed from all of the projects/papers/presenations that are all due one after another. Finals week is actually really relaxing - just show up each day and take a test or two.

Binge sleeping works for me too - except I do need to get about 12 straight hours every weekend, which hasn't been happening recently.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
He has three final esses. [Wink] And I'm guessing the omission of the school name was deliberate.

(Not that I'm not also curious.)

Three esses? Solomon Schechter School?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I don't get stressed about finals, I get stressed from all of the projects/papers/presenations that are all due one after another. Finals week is actually really relaxing - just show up each day and take a test or two.

Same for me. Luckily, half of mine are done now, which makes me a lot less stressed. This semester has been aweful, though. I was burned out a month ago. I just hope I can make it through the next few weeks without doing too much damage to my gpa.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Three esses? Solomon Schechter School?
Heh. Except he already had three esses when he was in another country.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If I let myself get as much sleep as I need, I will regularly sleep 10-11 hours a day. If I get less, I feel tired. At the moment, I am on eight hours, and I feel like I should lie down and sleep again.

Needless to say I cannot do the crazy stuff many students do.

This week I have two midterms, an essay (which I am doomed on, having not started yet) and two performances. I'm getting to that point of despair.

:/

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.