FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Apocolypto - will you see it? *Spoilers start on page 3* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Apocolypto - will you see it? *Spoilers start on page 3*
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in Mayan, it's about the end of a civilization, Mel Gibson has been in the news and has a wild film past, and it has a 90% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's also wildly, incredibly violent. When the hearts are torn from the beating victims and someone's face is ripped off, apparently it resembles an anatomy lecture more than The Temple of Doom. I don't like watching violence.

I am going to see it, because Matt wants to see it and it's his birthday next week. I imagine I'll spend much of the movie the way I spent The Passion of the Christ - curled in my chair with my eyes closed. I have to say, the POTC I saw was a very lovely, moving, gentle film with a part about Mary the mother of Jesus that made me cry.

I'm nervous about watching the film, but I must say, the look of it is enchanting.

[ December 12, 2006, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Gibson will never get a dime of mine again.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like Gibson is being true to the violence being done, which I really appreciate.

I also find the premise of the movie fascinating.

So, definitely will be seeing it.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see it, but I'm not telling Chris it's in Mayan at least until after we've bought the tickets and are sitting in the theater. [Big Grin]

I think the previews are pretty interesting, so I'd be interested in this movie regardless of the filmmaker. The fact that it's one of Mel's is just a safety net. It might suck as a movie, but I bet it's fascinating as an insight into megalomania.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What's amazing to me is how much the critics like it right now. One said that the Mayan doesn't matter - it's a pure action movie and on that level it delivers completely.

If only I LIKED action movies...

On the other hand, I dislike ones like The Island, but this is supposed to be much better than anything Michael Bay does. That's interesting.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
I might rent it later. I don't have the funds to see many movies in the theater right now.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even see Passion, so I'm certainly not going to see this.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
No Way.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw The Passion either. What is supposed to make this a good story? I'm slightly intrigued that it's in Mayan. If I ever see The Passion, it would probably be for the language aspect.

As for the Mel factor, I was much more disgusted by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman getting divorced after making Eyes Wide Shut. The Brook Shields thing actually improved my disposition toward Tom Cruise. He didn't direct the movie, but he was the whole reason everyone was supposed to go see it, right? It was just after that movie (which I also did not see) just seemed to capitalize on them being actually married, and then they weren't. Something about it seemed deeply evil to me. It's not like my usual irritation with celebrities like Robin Williams or Ben Affleck. But as I said at the time, Mel was just saying in a drunken way what most of the news media was implying, with the whole "Israel should show restraint" thing. So I guess that's how it winds up being like the Cruise/Kidman divorce. It's like they made deals with the devil and have had to pay up.

Well, I sure think about movies I don't even see quite a bit.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I can find no reason not to see it. It sure beats out the dozens of pointless movies that are out their only to show boobies and make the producers money.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, if you want info about violence, etc, let me know.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If I declined to see movies made by people whose actions or views I loathe, I don't think I'd ever see any.

[ December 04, 2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

The only movie I think I will see this month is Night at the Museum. The trailer had my wife in tears she was laughing so hard.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually willing to give Gibson another chance after he apologized for what he said to that cop. The apology impressed me.

But after what he said about Michael Richards, screw him. I can't even watch Lethal Weapon any more, and I really, really liked that movie.

I haven't tried, but he's probably ruined The Stand for me a little as well. Despite the casting of Jamie Sheridan as Randall Flagg in the movie, Mel Gibson has always been the very image of Randall Flagg from the book. I don't often visualize characters, but everything from appearance to mannerisms to style of speech made me think of Gibson.

I guess I didn't realize how much he was like him in personality as well...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
The only movie I think I will see this month is Night at the Museum. The trailer had my wife in tears she was laughing so hard.

What about Pursuit of Happyness? That looks awesome.

And I have to stop watching the trailer. It makes me cry.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You would choose Gibson over Christopher Walken for Flagg?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I was actually willing to give Gibson another chance after he apologized for what he said to that cop. The apology impressed me.

But after what he said about Michael Richards, screw him. I can't even watch Lethal Weapon any more, and I really, really liked that movie.

I haven't tried, but he's probably ruined The Stand for me a little as well. Despite the casting of Jamie Sheridan as Randall Flagg in the movie, Mel Gibson has always been the very image of Randall Flagg from the book. I don't often visualize characters, but everything from appearance to mannerisms to style of speech made me think of Gibson.

I guess I didn't realize how much he was like him in personality as well...

What did he say about Michael Richards?
i do not like too much violence, it makes me dizzy.
Yet I like Sin City.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
What did Gibson say about Richards? I must've missed that.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I'll see Apocolypto on cable. Though honestly it doesn't look that interesting to me.

I used to really like Mel Gibson. I even defended him when the Passion came out. But no, He *is* anti-semetic, and that makes me sad.

But like MPH said, if I refused to watch any movie or read any book by or starring someone with views I found abhorrent, I'd never be able to enjoy any art at all.

And if I refused to associate with people whose views I find evil, I'd never be able to leave my room.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take boobies over excessive gore any day. Add in Mel Gibson and I'm even less interested. Pass.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

There are also a TON of naked butts. You really can't get around seeing them. `
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm definitely in, then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I won't go out of my way to avoid this movie, but nothing's going to convince me to get up and drag myself to the theater to pay $10 to see it.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

What about Pursuit of Happyness? That looks awesome.

And I have to stop watching the trailer. It makes me cry.

That does look really good to, but I think we'll hold off on that for Netflix like we usually do.
Stephan
Member # 7549

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2688349

Mel Gibson Feels Michael Richards' Pain

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can find is that Mel said he was sorry for the guy and, "They'll probably torture him for a while and then let him go. I like him."

I guess if you want to burn Michael at the stake then this would be a bad thing. There might be something else he said but I can't find it.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I won't go out of my way to avoid this movie, but nothing's going to convince me to get up and drag myself to the theater to pay $10 to see it.

How long is it? 'cause the theatres here only charge $5 on weeknights. But I have to be in a MOOD to sit and watch a really long movie. And there have to be a lot of nachos involved.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It is apparently a very long chase scene. There was an interview with Gibson last week where he said that the idea started with wanting to do a really fantastic chase scene. Cars had been done, planes have been done, boats have been done, bikes have been done...what about on foot? Why would someone be running for their lives with high stakes and stick to just their feet? How about a society with no alternatives (there were no large domestic animals in the Americas before the Europeans came)? So, the Mayans!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see this movie, I am sure Mel is capable of showing much more then just violence, though I imagine that will likely dominate the movie. The idea of a chase movie has always intrigued me, and the fact its in such an exotic location, and the lengths Mel will go in presenting that time and place make me want to see it. I hope the movie is good and that it warrants a warm reception, I'd like more film makers who think similarly to Mel Gibson, (in regards to movie approaches) to see that his approach is not without merit.

I've heard ALOT about a waterfall shot that was apparently the first of its kind in movie history. Keep your eyes open for it [Wink]

I don't get what is offensive about the Michael Richards comment.

Ill be honest I was one of the, "I won't look at Mel Gibson the same way again after his comments on Jews, but certain folks in hatrack really illuminated my understanding on why people might say the things they do while under the influence.

If Mel is indeed sorry for his comments who am I to refuse such an apology? I'd rather not be the one holding that sin in the end.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

The chase scene was too long, IMO. It seemed like it was an hour long and while it had some *gasp* worthy parts, ended up being kind of boring.

pH, total it's about 2 hours.

edit: BlackBlade, the waterfall scene was definately one of the oooh wow parts of the chase.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
You would choose Gibson over Christopher Walken for Flagg?

I've heard people suggest Walken. The thing is, Flagg is described as being handsome, and charming, and being able to seem very pleasant in a way that doesn't bring Walken to mind for me. He'd also have to have done it many years ago, because Flagg looks younger.

(Of course, Gibson is too old for the role now as well.)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Hmmm. Interesting.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's also wildly, incredibly violent. When the hearts are torn from the beating victims and someone's face is ripped off, apparently it resembles an anatomy lecture more than The Temple of Doom.
That pretty well sums up why I won't be seeing it. I have no desire to see graphic violence no matter how well its done. A good story teller should be able to tell any story without resorting to graphic depictions of violent unspeakable acts. The only reason to do this is to appeal to an audience that wants to see blood and gore.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks pretty awesome to me.

When I visited Mexico a couple years ago and toured Chichen Itza, I was really fascinated by all the rituals, architecture, and history of the place and people. I'm glad there's a movie about the Mayans. They seem like they were a crazy, vibrant people, and I would love to learn more about them.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I don't really care about the amount of violence, but the story just doesn't really appeal to me.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

They paint people blue.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the Celts?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

The only reason to do this is to appeal to an audience that wants to see blood and gore.

I do not agree with this.

I think showing what violence really looks like is vital if you want to tell the truth about violence and those who practice it.

Making 'violent, unspeakable' acts palatable by taking them off-screen is just another way of lying. It's not repackaging the truth in palatable ways. It's a lie.

kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Isn't that the Celts?

*shrug* They painted people blue in the movie. And then a few got their heads cut off.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely going. This will be my first movie in about 7 months.

As to all the hoopla surrounding him...Mel Gibson has my respect as an artist. I usually don't pay much attention to artists and entertainer's lives.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mel can ruin my opinion with one drunken tirade, who hasn't been evil with a skinful?
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
It looks pretty awesome to me.

When I visited Mexico a couple years ago and toured Chichen Itza, I was really fascinated by all the rituals, architecture, and history of the place and people. I'm glad there's a movie about the Mayans. They seem like they were a crazy, vibrant people, and I would love to learn more about them.

Do you honestly think you'll learn about the Mayans through a Hollywood movie made about them? That would seem (to me) to be one of the most inaccurate sources in existence.

Edit: or maybe I misinterpreted what you said, and "a movie being made about them" is separate from "I would love to learn more about them"

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mel Gibson will never get a dime of mine again.
Right.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful I'll see this before it hits TV. Interests me very little, and it's one of the few times I dislike the director so much that I'll scorn his movie.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to see so few movies in the theaters these days that I'm not even putting something like Apocolypto on my list. Life's too short for me to spend the few times I get to go out with my wife getting bludgeoned with graphic, unnecessary violence.

As far as it being Gibson, I don't really care, aside from the reputation of "Passion" suggesting to me that if I'm told it's gruesome, I should take that warning to heart. I was a little amused when I saw the previews that he'd put his name on top of the title at this particular juncture of his career. Given the rather obvious reactions some people are having to him as a public personality right now, you'd think he'd have a narrator whisper "A Mel Gibson film" during the fade out.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an interesting theory about that. Namely: That they think the 'Passion of the Christ' audience will be more likely to come see this film if they flaunt Mel Gibson's name, since Bible-belters dislike the Jews. Kind of a way to stick it to the Jews. "Come see this movie and prove to the world that we like it when people hate Jews!"

I'm not sayig Bible-belters hate Jews, and I'm not saying the film company thinks they hate Jews... I'm saying I've heard this floated, as a theory.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't buy that at all. It sounds like a paranoid theory.

Mel Gibson is much more well known for the Passion than for whatever happened recently. It is much more likely his name is up on top because he produced and directed it and the last movie he produced and directed made half a billion dollars.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Having come from the bible belt, I was in high school before I learned that some people were anti-semetic and after someone defined it for me I was floored.

My reaction was "But... But... JESUS was a Jew!!!"

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Well there really is nothing like controversy to promote a film. Da Vinci code probably wouldn't even had become a film if certain people were not so up in arms over the book.
katharina
Member # 827

Me too. The only time I ever even encountered the idea before I was in college was in the Merchant of Venice.

I think saying that Mel Gibson's name is there because it is appealing to anti-Semitism in the Bible Belt is some not-so-subtle bigotry and snobbishness on the part of the person putting for the theory. It's ascribing the worst possible motive for an action that is sensibly and easily explained by other motives. It sounds like another jab at dumb Southerners. Not impressive.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.