FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack retirement thread

Author Topic: The Hatrack retirement thread
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you know, I'm retired. I retired from a 40 year stint as a journalist in late 2005. For the record, I'm 66 years old (which may qualify me to be the oldest Hatracker here). Being retired has given me the time to relax, to spend more time with my family, and to post on forums like this one. Is anyone else out there retired or planning on retirement?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on retiring in about 20 years.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully I'll still be alive to see that.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'll ever retire, but I hope to have a nice cushy academic job around that time so I won't want to.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll be able to retire on the early side in about 40 years.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You are not the oldest Hatracker....I think. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Rotar Mode, I've seen you make reference to having been a journalist before. What was your medium?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, I'm almost TWICE your age, though. Buddy. [Wink]
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

For the first twenty years, it was politics. Then I got sick to my stomach of it. My last twenty years were spent covering stories that make people happy. It was much more fullfilling, if less paying work.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
But what was your medium? Newspaper, magazine, televeision?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an empty nester, but not to retirement for quite a while yet. Also former journalist (newspaper/print media). Glad I don't do that anymore.

FG

(and mph - usually when referring to that career area, we call newspaper/magazine the same "print". So it is print - or radio - or TV )

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

What Farmgirl said. And mostly print, though my articles have been read on the radio on occasion.
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a nice cushy academic job
Good luck.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
When I retire, if ever, from animating I'll just go to on to teach. I'd hate it if a lifetime of learning ended with me. I want to help kindle the animators of the future!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:I want to help kindle the animators of the future!
Are they flammable?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a retirement services company, and, as a consequence, know a rediculous amount of information about 401(a), 401(k), 403(b), 457(b), IRA, Keogh & SEP retirement plans- especially 401(k) and Governmental 457(b) plans.

So, this may not be a post talking about my retirement, but I spend a lot of my time talking about retirement money.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, there's a Hatracker who's almost four times my age. Picture that!
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
If by "retired" you mean "not working at all," then no, I am not retired. If you mean "not working for anybody but yourself," then I guess I am. I don't consider myself retired, but for some reason my mom tells everybody I am. I wish - I work more now than I did before. I'm 26.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
*kicks back in recliner*

*drinks iced tea*

*whittles wood*

Ahhhhh yes, 5000 posts have taken their toll on me. Think I'll just sit back and watch from here on out.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:I want to help kindle the animators of the future!
Are they flammable?
[ROFL]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
my dad is who got me into OSC books, and he just recently retired. he was the CFO of a company for the past 18 years. he reads A LOT. i cant keep up with him book-wise, but every book i like i think he has recommended it to me, with only a couple that i gave him. i think he will be 65 in february. maybe i should get him interested in hatrack. he's not a very good typer, but he might enjoy some of the threads. not sure i could drag him away from watching the Fox Soccer Channel tho. *my dad is from Leeds, England*
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

Most people my age don't post on forums.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely remember that we had one in your age range at some point. I think we even had a seventy year old here for a while, but I don't remember who... and I guess they didn't stick around long. It's entirely possible that my brain just invented that too... my memory ain't that trustworthy -- and I'm only 20 [Eek!]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Are they flammable?
[ROFL]
[ROFL]

Well, we are kind of tasty...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't ever want to retire. I'll guzzle jars of stem cells to keep myself active.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Not retired-just on my own terms as to when I want to work and I'm only almost 43.

And so far, I've met a lot of great people who are retired who post on forums and especially this one since the early days of it's beginning.

You're not alone! YAY!

The fact is, age doesn't matter except for the ability to experience eachother's perspective. I learn a lot from the youth and those older.

However, I'm the queen of active lurking. I post rarely and read a lot!

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How old is Sam Bush, anyone know? I've got the idea that he's in his 60s, but I could easily be wrong. Also, what about Artemisia Tridenta? He's older, I know, but I don't know exactly how old.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 14,000 but nowhere near retirement, as I plan to live to be at least 75,000 so I need to keep working for a while. 14,000 is really just barely adolescent for us, anyway.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Haven't you been 14,000 for several years now, Tatiana? I'd have guessed you were closer to 14,003.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You have me by 5 years. I thought I was at least in the running for oldest dude standing. I'm not retiring as long as it is fun. I have always used the "breakfast test." If you can't enjoy breakfast before you go to work, its time for a change.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.