FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » another Catholic questions (funeral/death)

Author Topic: another Catholic questions (funeral/death)
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather, who was Catholic passed away. None of the rest of the family really knows anything about traditions since we are all protestant. The priest of the church he used to attend handled a lot of stuff (ie: last rights, and running the funeral ceremony), but he was not very helpful in telling us anything else that needed to be done now that the funeral is done. Sadly, my grandfather's old priest is no longer in the area, and the new guy is not very helpful. He sort of acts like we are heathens or something because we are not Catholic. Regardless, we wanted to do things the "proper Catholic way" because that was what my grandfather would have wanted.

We heard that you can give some amount of money to the church to have some sort of mass dedication, but don't know if that is typical...or how much is expected. Any advice would be appreciated.

[ December 05, 2006, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*bumping this in case our Catholic's didn't see it*

(I have been to many Catholic funerals, but have no idea of the stuff "after" that you are talking about)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We heard that you can give some amount of money to the church to have some sort of mass dedication, but don't know if that is typical...or how much is expected. Any advice would be appreciated.
We did this at my old parish. There was a big book with the intentions for that mass written in it. You could choose any date/mass time you wanted. It did require a donation, but I don't know how much. The names were read during the general intercessions (short prayers that are read after the creed is recited). They'll also read the name of those who have died the week prior, so if you want to get a mass intention for your grandfather, you might want to choose another date that was special to him, such as his birthday.

I'm not a practicing Catholic right now, so one of the other Catholics on the board may be able to give you more information.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the donation is customary rather than required. I'm not sure what the rate would be. The last time I had an intentional mass said I donated $25.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
$5 is usually the donation to have a mass said, those this is certainly not required in most places. It's fairly customary to have a mass said for a deceased loved one, especially on the first anniversary of their death.

Otherwise, there really aren't any expectations on your part (and the mass is also definitely optional... you don't have to do that).

If you have more questions just ask.
Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to reiterate that, at least at our church, people who have passed are named in the prayers during that week. This is separate from any donation or mass intention. You do need to let someone (usually the parish secretary) know if they don't already. I wouldn't necessarily leave that up to the priest.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the mass dedication is somewhat typical it is by no means necessary. Certainly it's a nice thing to do, but I wouldn't be too worried if you didn't have it done.

As has already been said, all that's really required is a funeral service (mass is optional) and a non-cremated burial.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Cremations have been allowed since 1963*. It is preferable to do it after a funeral mass with the body present, but it is okay to do them after with the cremated remains - the liturgy is slightly different.

*edit to add: as long as the purpose of cremation is not for some reason that is contrary to Christian teaching.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
okay - now that last statement got me curious.

How would some purposes of cremation be contrary to Christian teaching?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Since I think the original reason for not allowing cremations is that they were a pagan ritual (and some theological stuff about the resurrection of the body about which I am a little vague - surely if God can fix whatever killed you in the first place...) perhaps the Church wouldn't approve of a cremation as part of a pagan rite?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the deceased could want his wives and servants burned along with him.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
my bad, I knew it was an older thing about cremations, but wasn't sure if that had been lifted.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yeah. They lifted part of it in 1963 and part in 1997.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Cremations are allowed, but only if the ashes are burried or placed in some form of vault, i.e. not scattered or kept on a mantle.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.