FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Russian Authors?

Author Topic: Favorite Russian Authors?
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for recommendation on some good Russian literature. I've already read every Russian author with an American following, so please no Tolstoy, Dostoyefsky, and Gogol stand bys.

Please keep in mind I can read Russian quite well, so if the author is particularly obscure and not translated, but his stuff is really good, list anyway.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Zamyatin; while he certainly has something of an American following, its not very large. He deserves far more attention.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Ayn Rand count? Certainly We, The Living must.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume Nabokov doesn't count either . . .

(Or Asimov.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent an email to a Russian friend of mine who reads quite a bit. I'll post her answer when I get it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of making the obvious reccomendation, try Pushkin (in Russian) if you haven't already.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend sent me the following:

quote:
Here are a few names:

Pikul
Akunin
Dashkova
Okudjava
Danilevskaya
Kuprin
Vojnovich
Ulitskaya
Aitmatov
Platonov
Vajner brothers

In fact if you go to www.lib.ru (free russian library - totally legal site) you would find most of them there.

She translated those names from the Cyrillic alphabet herself so you might find them spelled differently. I tried to include the Cyrillic here, but it comes out as garbage. Do try the link she sends above.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
David and Sergei Brin
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Bulgakov? Everyone loves The Master and Margarita. And I suppose Nabokov doesn't count, but he is really a gorgeous writer.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
David Brin ain't Russian. He's an amazing sci-fi author though. And Sergei isn't an author. [Razz]

Personally I might sugguest Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I have tended to enjoy their composers MUCH more then their authors.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Solzhenitsyn? Or is that too obvious?
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great titles so far.

Karl, I checked out the site: quite nice. There needs to be more sites like it, imo.

Also, some pals are recommending Mikhail Veller, who I think I'll also check out. Anyone familiar with his work?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
David's "...mother's family was of the Jewish peasant stock of Russia..."

Amongst other works, Surgey coauthored "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine" with Larry Page.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
No one's mentioned Turgenev yet? Little surprising.

Honestly he's the only Russian author I've really done a lot of reading with, but I can recommend Fathers & Sons.

Does Teodor Józef Konrad Korzeniowski (Joseph Conrad) count? He was born in the Ukraine, though it was to a Polish family, and he lived most of his life I believe in England. If he counted, I'd recommend him over any Russian author I've ever read or heard of.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
strugacki brothers. kir bulyczov
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Turgenev, as well as Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, and Bulgakov. That's all I've got, sorry. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sergei Rachmaninoff and Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
For composers.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You guys are amazing! I am from Russia and when I saw this thread I immediately started thinking of all of my favorite authors, but alas, as I scrolled down I realized most of them have already been listed. This may sound too sentimental, but I'm touched to see that so many of you know and like Russian classics. I guess I shouldn't be surprised: hatrackers are the best!

So Gecko, just to expand on some things already mentioned... How much Gogol have you read? He is by far my favorite Russian writer. If you haven't read "The Dead Souls" yet, I highly recommend it, especially in Russian. If you already have, forgive my redundancy. I love "Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov and would highly recommend it.

Now here are some names not yet on this page. Poetry: Blok, Lermontov, Esenin.

Classics: Chehov (probably obvious), Sholohov (I recommend "Tihi Don" - a beautiful story of the cossacks)

Humor: Ilf & Petrov - "12 Chairs". It is an absolutely amazing novel, which envelops pre and post Soviet era. Hilariously honest. Definitely a favorite.

Fantasy: Kama mentioned Kir Bulychev. He was one of my favorite writers growing up. "A million adventures" and "100 years ahead" are great.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
whoever wrote Children of the Arbat.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
David's "...mother's family was of the Jewish peasant stock of Russia..."
Yeah, so what, if you're gonna go by stuff like that then I could claim that I was all kinds of things I'm not.

quote:
# 6 October 1950 - born in Glendale, California
David Brin is an American. He was born in America and he lives in America and that makes him an American author. Not Russian.

quote:
Amongst other works, Surgey coauthored "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine" with Larry Page.
[ROFL]

I don't think that's quite what he was looking for, but fair nuff. [Smile]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna Akhmatova...over and over again, forever and ever.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.