FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dessert for breakfast

Author Topic: Dessert for breakfast
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let's face it --- most things that Americans eat for breakfast are one step away from dessert. And some desserts are already part of the breakfast tradition. Others don't seem to be even though they should.

But not all desserts work well for breakfast.

My top 10:

1. Pumpkin pie
2. Apple crumble/crisp
3. Coffeecake [alright this is a bit of
4. Tapioca pudding
5. Cheese/raspberry danish
6. Cinnamon roll
7. Cheesecake (but only the kind my wife makes)
8. Oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies
9. Gingerbread
10. Glazed, raised doughnut

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
2,5, and 6 are breakfasty. The rest are not.

I would include Bread Pudding as a breakfast/dessert item.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally learned that I can function through the morning if I eat protein for breakfast and absolutely no sweet/sugary things. (I can have a small piece of fruit if I also eat protein and a whole grain.)

I eat odd breakfasts, because I get tired of eggs and protein shakes. So sometimes I'll have lentil soup for breakfast or a tuna sandwich or something equally repellent to the mind of anyone accustomed to the standard modern idea of breakfast.

That said, I can't resist pumpkin or apple pie leftovers for breakfast if they're in the house. Just count on me getting hungry (starving) and/or sleepy by 10 am.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My breakfast this morning is a chicken cordon bleu, white rice and a side of corn. ::shrug::

Whenever possible, though, traditional breakfast items win with me. I actually really dislike the above list of things, and most desserts, as breakfast food; I *need* to have something hearty and satisfying, and preferably salty!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a creature of habit, and I have had the same breakfast every morning for over a year: oatmeal with berries and an egg-white omelet with turkey sausage in it.

It's savory, sweet, yummy, energy-inducing, and filling enough that I don't get hungry for hours. I love it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold pizza. Good for dessert, good for breakfast, good for pretty much anything.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I'm not saying dessert for breakfast is a good idea. In fact, it's best followed up by a hearty brunch.

Good call on the bread pudding, Storm.

Uprooted:

I think soup for breakfast is great. Miso soup is good for breakfast. But really any kind -- esp. something with barley.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats Key Lime Pie for breakfast.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I like salty-protieny for breakfast. Bacon, Eggs, Sausage. You know, stuff that kills your heart.

Of course, I make strawberry or banana pancakes for my hubby becuase he loves that stuff.

I like Cereal and fruit for breakfast on days when I don't have time to cook.

I get a sugar headache just THINKING about pastry for breakfast.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Nothing beats Key Lime Pie for breakfast.

*sugar coma*
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot pizza... The anytime meal!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to let us have leftover dessert (birthday cake, pumpkin pie, cheesecake...) for breakfast as long as we drank a glass of milk with it. But then, we were non-breakfast-eaters, and her theory was that it was healthier for us to eat anything than nothing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I could never have dessert for breakfast. But when there are lots of yummy goodies around, I'll sometimes have what my roommates call "Breakfast dessert". I'll have a real breakfast (eggs and toast or the like) then half an hour later I'll have a dessert.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Pillsbury toaster strudels are a great dessert-breakfast.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Hank:

I admire your approach. Very wise.

-----

Related to dessert for breakfast is breakfast for dinner. I can only really do this if it's very late at night.

When I was a child my grandparents used to invite us over for Sunday dinner quite a bit -- we lived next door.

Dinner was Bisquik waffles (no eggs or sausage). At first it seemed like a kid's dream, but as the months went by I quickly grew tired of it. What's worse is we'd often be invited over on fast Sunday (Mormons fast for two meals the first Sunday of every month and then take the money that would be used and donate it to the church for use in feeding the poor --- obviously those who are unable to fast don't need to, but I was 10 or 11 at the time and had decided to take on the practice). I soon discovered that breaking your fast on syrup and waffles isn't fun.

My grandfather would take things a step further. After having breakfast for dinner, he'd have breakfast for dessert -- he would top his last waffle of the evening with a scoop of ice cream, several spoonfuls of jam AND maple syrup. [Eek!]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
And people think the internet is responsible for short attention spans?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Cold pizza. Good for dessert, good for breakfast, good for pretty much anything.

YES!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
No I don't think... er... what?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

YES!
*high-fives Lisa and Tante*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what is terribly delicious for either breakfast or dessert? Pancakes topped with fresh pineapple, chocolate chips, and whipped cream. Seriously - it's awesome.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that most breakfasts that American's eat are just one step away from dessert. Ever read the side of a common cereal box--they have more sugar than most good desserts.

Factoid for the day--Cheesecake was originally a breakfast food, along with Danish, Donuts and other breakfast pastries. These were common-man working breakfasts--used to bulk up for long hard, especially wintery work.

However, I can not do Pizza for Breakfast. I had Cold Pizza one time in my teens, and either caught a stomach flu that day, or had mild food poisoning. To this day I find cold pizza very unappetizing.

Then there is the all time classic Chocolate Cake for Breakfast

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
Related to dessert for breakfast is breakfast for dinner. I can only really do this if it's very late at night.

When I was a child my grandparents used to invite us over for Sunday dinner quite a bit -- we lived next door.

Dinner was Bisquik waffles (no eggs or sausage). At first it seemed like a kid's dream, but as the months went by I quickly grew tired of it.

I love pancakes or waffles for dinner. I never have time to make them for breakfast but they make a terrific dinner (in my opinion).

When I was in grad school we used to have pancake parties. Everyone would bring something to go on the pancakes. We'd eat pancakes unil we were ready to pop and then lie on the floor until we'd digested enough pancakes to be able to ride our bikes home.

Ahh, those were the days!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school my best friend and I would poach a dozen eggs for supper and wash them down with vodka (looks behind shoulder- good,no kids who can read).
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What the ?

What gave you the idea to combine poached eggs and vodka?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

I am guessing, being a teenager, and vodka being the only likker in her mom's cabinet.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, understand, I have no problem with wanting either vodka or poached eggs seperately, but I am curious as to the thinking that when eating poached eggs leads one to go,'wow, this would be so much better with vodka' or, vice versa. I mean, you might as well drink vodka with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. [Smile]
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was pregnant with my first I had to attend WIC (federal "Women, Infants, and Children Health Program) meetings and one was about the importance of eating breakfast. The overall message was, "It doesn't matter WHAT you eat for breakfast just as long as you EAT breakfast." I didn't need the meeting to believe that, but now I feel fully justified in eating pizza (which WIC officially said was OKAY!) shrimp coctail or even just plain chocolate for breakfast. [Big Grin]
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

It's yummier than you think. (contemplates omelettes and Romulan Ale)
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

YES!
*high-fives Lisa and Tante*
AMAZING!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Eating cold pizza the next morning is a college pastime, carried down through generations of poor students.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.