FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Maybe he reads OSC's column?

Author Topic: Maybe he reads OSC's column?
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like at least one Democrat is doing exactly what OSC begged for in his latest War Watch. Linkie.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Problem being that 100thousand extra troops were needed at the beginning of the Occupation to prevent the insurgency from arising. Once the insurgent networks have formed, it takes a LOT more to dismantle them.
Assuming of course that genocide isn't an option.
But then if genocide were acceptable, there would already be ~138thousand UStroops too many in Iraq.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Smart man, didn't want us in to begin with, but knows it would be a bigger mistake to withdraw early.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think OSC was either the first or the most prominent person to suggest this.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
I don't think OSC was either the first or the most prominent person to suggest this.

BLASPHEMY! [Mad]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most prominent, here, at least. Maybe Mr. Reyes is a Hatracker?

(I'm fairly new; is it Hatracker? Hatrackite? Or Hatrackateer?)

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of Reyes, wasn't aware he was a "top democrat."

But he's on crack if he thinks that 30,000 troops will be enough to disarm the Shiite militias, to say nothing of the Sunnis out there. The last report I heard about Baghdad was that the Sunnis and Shiites had been chased out of their neighborhoods and are now segrated. Every night the Shiites launch mortar shells into Sunni neighborhoods, then the next day Sunni suicide bombers blow up Shiites, and that's followed by Shiites death squads leaving executed bodies all over the streets.

30,000 might be enough to take down Baghdad alone, but the whole country? He's dreaming. You need to DOUBLE the troop numbers in Iraq just to get started. Al-Maliki is afraid to force them to disarm. Lebanon has been trying to disarm Hezbollah in southern Leb for decades, but they can't. They guys don't just give up their guns. Disarming them means KILLING them. He's talking about a new war, bloodier than anything we're currently stuck in.

These guys are killing each other with those guns mostly, we're getting in the way as best we can. Disarming them makes US the new main target. Either double or triple the troop numbers to pull it off, or follow the Baker Report and get out. Anything less is asking for a bloodbath.

Edit to add: Has anyone here read the Baker Report? I'm in the middle of it, it's 160 pages (at least shorter than the 9/11 Report, which took me forever to get through).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nikisknight:
Probably the most prominent, here, at least. Maybe Mr. Reyes is a Hatracker?

(I'm fairly new; is it Hatracker? Hatrackite? Or Hatrackateer?)

I've always been a big fan of Hatrackite, but nobody else has ever shown much interest in it. Hatracker and Jatraquero/a are the two most commonly used terms.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatracker is what I always say, but Hatrackateer sounds perdy.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
For the last time-- it's JATRAQUEROS!

[Smile]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.