FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Chinese Beat Colombus?

Author Topic: The Chinese Beat Colombus?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some of you have heard the theory that Zhang He in the Ming Dynasty was the first one to discover America. While doing some research for my term paper in colonial American history I came across this article, which though is was printed in January of this year I found fascinating.

http://www.economist.com/books/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5381851

What a cool map!

I think the last paragraph bears notice. But then again from a Chinese mindset there was no reason to expand into California, to Chinese eyes they Native Americans would have appeared savage and hardly worth conquering. During the Ming Dynasty China was concerned with flexing its muscles but not expanding anywhere.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I should think that some unknown group of people from asia were probably the first people to 'discover' America. About 12 thousand years ago.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Actually, I should think that some unknown group of people from asia were probably the first people to 'discover' America. About 12 thousand years ago.

Well in that sense Asia extends from the eastern shores of Japan to almost Turkey.

We don't have maps from those folks either.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BB: She's talking about the Native Americans. We didn't need maps because we were already here.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The beating was due to a case of mistaken identity: they thought Columbus was Italian. And the Chinese were still ticked off at having their noodles being passed off as an Italian invention.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The Vikings were in Greenland before the 1400's. Some historians believe that they even made it to the mainland of North America, so If the map was written in the 1400's the Chinese didn't get here first either.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The most interesting part of the story is that, hidden aboard the Chinese ships was a Japanese spy--a Ninja.

Unfortunately the Ninja got stranded on the California coast. He knew that home as Japan--the land of the rising sun, so he headed East. Eventually he hit Neufanland at the same time as some Vikings were settling there.

The clash of cultures was not pretty.

Hence the rivalry to this day between Ninja's and Vikings.

Its almost as bad as the Ninja/Pirate feud, which started when a band of Ninja's mistook a group of marauding Pirates for marauding Vikings, but that's another story.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vikings that settled Greenland and Iceland also had a settlement in New Foundland (Canada) around 900 B.C. It lasted less than a hundred years, mostly because Scandinavian life didn't work and they didn't feel the need to adapt to an American one.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
(No. That's what they want you to believe. In truth, the Ninja's got them.)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
They died out because they were unable to cope with the encroaching glaciers forming due to the temperature drop during the little ice age, and they were unable to adapt. (I saw a special on the History Channel the other day.)

Edit: At least that's what happened in Greenland.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
The Vikings were in Greenland before the 1400's. Some historians believe that they even made it to the mainland of North America, so If the map was written in the 1400's the Chinese didn't get here first either.

And they were all long after St.Brendan!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Dan's theory. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
You fools! It was the Polish people who discovered America!
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

True. It just took them a bit longer than everyone else.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
BB: She's talking about the Native Americans. We didn't need maps because we were already here.

No maps!? How did Native Americans teach Geography?

[Confused]

aspectre
Member # 2222

Those latecomers used AinuAmerican maps.

[ December 07, 2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Europeans were first, the Asians showed up thousands of years later and learned how to flake flint...
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should have a Zhang He day. I wouldn't mind an extra day off.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Maybe we should have a Zhang He day. I wouldn't mind an extra day off.

Coolest Muslim I know of. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.