FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thrice-darned Fear-mongering Press!

Author Topic: Thrice-darned Fear-mongering Press!
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's an inflammatory topic title, but the post isn't actually all that inflammatory:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2704498

Apparently, a new study finds that cell phone use causes no significant increase to cancer risk.

So ... why did people freak out about this in the first place?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause it makes the newspaper/magazine money to print articles with scary titles that make people buy them to read more.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a what, somewhat informal 26 year study? What about people who use those phones for fifty years?

Besides, I think there's a fairly decent reason to freak out, the damned things produce electromagnetic fields and radiation like a milimeter away from my BRAIN.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taiin
Member # 9950

- posted      Profile for Taiin   Email Taiin         Edit/Delete Post 
So, either you're implanting the phone in your brain or you have no skull bones to speak of?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Would a half inch make you happier? Either you have a huge head, or a curious grasp of the workings of a ruler.

Besides, it only takes ONE cancerous cell to cause a problem that could potentially kill someone.

Wikipedia lists the ear canal, which rests below the brain as 27 milimeters long, so I'd estimate the distance between the phone itself, when pressed against your ear, and your brain is something like 15-20 millimeters. An inch is 25 millimeters, so less than an inch. Is the difference really substantive enough to you?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Electromagnetic fields and radiation are going through your head all the time, regardless of whether you're using a cell phone or not.

It sort of creeps me out. I know it's irrational, but just the thought of all these little waves going through me. *shudders*

My boyfriend thinks my getting freaked out by electromagnetic waves is the funniest thing ever. I have to admit, it is pretty funny, so I don't get mad at him when he teases me about it.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... radiation. Taste the quanta.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah but increased levels can't be any better for your brain.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Puppy:

I'm not sure. Collective word of mouth during a period when we were finding out that a lot of other things DO cause cause cancer seems like a likely culprit.

I confess I don't see how this article constitutes fear-mongering.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's saying the "fear mongering" came earlier and this article is the revelation that that is all it was.

quote:
Yeah but increased levels can't be any better for your brain.
If comics has taught me anything it's that increased exposure to radiation is my best chance for superpowers.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Where would we even FIND a vat of toxic waste?!"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Sidekick!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehehe
Thrice darned....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

iirc, it was because three very powerful men all developed cancerous tumors on the same side of their brain that they usually used their cell phone. This was back in the day when cell phones were primarily used by the rich and powerful.

What was that thread about correlation and causation?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.