FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Project Management Software

Author Topic: Project Management Software
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss has asked me to research what are the best Project Management Softwares. She would prefer one that has a business plan overlay. She does Business Coaching for lawyers and one of her clients is asking about this. The client wants to be able to track various projects, what steps they have, where they are at in those steps, etc. Does anybody use software like this that they would recommend?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Project is decent, though I sometimes find it lacking.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thank you for the response! In what areas do you find it lacking? What things do you like best about it?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the actual scheduling process in the newer versions of the program. They definitely streamlined the process over editions. The files are also of very small size, and the linking of other documents to the project file is effective. It's also fairly commonplace, and works well with other Microsoft programs and documents.

I find it lacking in that in huge projects (I'm talking months to years) the program slows down a little. I also always have problems with some of the aspects of the interface, and I always feel that, as fast as the projects come together, it could have been faster, and even a little easier. It's also kind of expensive.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thank you! That is incredibly helpful!

Is anybody familiar with MPMM or Phoenix Project Manager? Does anybody know how they compare to Microsoft Project?

striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only used MS Project, sorry. And I'll ditto Rotar Mode's comments.

The ability to link & reference other MS programs is the best aspect probably. Since MS stuff is so common, this is a common winning component of any MS program. ;-)

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear lots of good stuff about Rational Rose.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Basecamp

Forget bloated Microsoft software. Basecamp has made my life so much easier. This is the philosophy behind the product (more in this free online book). Less time writing the plans, holding meetings and doing other project oriented busywork, more time actually getting stuff done. What are business plan overlays?

Basecamp will not slow down because you have lots of content or bother you with features you don't need. Linking to MS Word documents is great, but how often do you need to use such an over the top word processor, when all you want to do is to put up a plan where everyone can see and edit it (Writeboard)? And if you do need to use Word, you can just upload it, where everyone can get to it. Scheduling is dead simple, and if you use Basecamp's messaging system, you won't have to rummage through outlook looking for e-mails. Assignable to-do lists keep track of progress in the simplest possible way.

And you can access all that information from wherever you are, so long as you have Internet access and the password. It can do multiple projects. Set permissions if you don't want certain people to see things, or make the project open to your clients, so they know what's going on and don't pester you with e-mails asking for progress updates.

If you need to organise your personal stuff in the same way, there's Backpack.

I can not recommend it enough.

[ December 10, 2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Wow! Thank you guys so much! This is all quite helpful!
Euripides
Member # 9315

Make sure you give the free trial of basecamp a go!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also been using Basecamp, almost since it's release.

I love it and the 37Signals guys are just awesome.

Hint: One of the premium features is time-tracking.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Troubadour, do you mean you've met them?
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

Hmmm, Basecamp looks interesting. I wish it were available back when I was working, so I could have tested the full version on my company's dollar. [Wink] The time-tracking feature looks rather useful to Amanecer's situation, as well.
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
No, haven't met them, but love their products and read their Signal Vs Noise blog daily. As a developer and designer, adopting their approach to rapid development and non-local teams has changed my business approach and capabilities entirely.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I saw from your profile that you're a freelance designer/developer and writer. That's exactly what I'd like to do when I finally finish uni, though I might have to start out doing something else. A friend and I are currently using Basecamp to develop a small web app.
Troubadour
Member # 83

Nice. I guess I'm not really freelance anymore - I'm 1/3 of a design company and we're in partnership with a development firm that also subscribes to the rapid dev philosophy of 37Signals. We've got four web apps on the go at the moment (at varying stages of completeness), one of which is in use by one of the country's biggest real estate franchises.
Euripides
Member # 9315

If you don't mind my asking (and I understand if you do), what's the name of your firm?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.